Home Network....

Looking for some help on setting up my home/home office network.

Here's what I have:

ISP--->Linksys Wireless Router===>Laptop
===>Laptop
--->Server
===>Desktop

---> is hard wired connection
===> is a wireless connection

Everything works fine. I all items are setup on the same network
segment (192.168.1.0) and I can browse the internet fine from all
computers and successfully ping everything in the network.

Now the problem - my router and server are located in my basement as
that's where the ISP's line runs to. I have a home office upstairs
with all the computers on wireless connection but I recently bought an
ethernet ready printer/fax machine and am having trouble figuring out
how I'm going to connect in into my network since everything upstairs
is wireless.

I currently use all Linksys hardware (router, cards, etc) so would
like to stick with them but I haven't seen anything that I can just
plug into my network ready printer that'll get it joined to the
wireless network. Can anybody tell me the best way to do this? Am I
going to have to get a wireless access point or bridge for upstairs
and a hub to plug the printer into? I was thinking about running CAT5
from my office to downstairs but that is a complete pain and there's
got to be a way to do this wireless.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks much,

Craig
2 answers Last reply
More about home network

    craig_koster@yahoo.com (krg) wrote in news:a9f8b434.0404031016.35bfd374
    @posting.google.com:

    > I have a home office upstairs
    > with all the computers on wireless connection but I recently bought an
    > ethernet ready printer/fax machine and am having trouble figuring out
    > how I'm going to connect in into my network since everything upstairs
    > is wireless.

    Two Options:

    1. Create a bridged wireless LAN segment (provided your current linksys
    wireless router supports bridging... I believe it does). To do this,
    purchase a second Linksys Wireless Access Point that supports Point to
    Point Bridging.

    2. Purchase a wireless bridge. Dlink and Linksys make such a product.
    It's basically a box which coverts wired ethernet to wireless. Linksys
    calls their wireless bridge a "Wireless Gaming Bridge" or something like
    that.

    Option 1 is better if you have multiple devices to connect to the
    network. Option 2 is better if you only have the single fax machine.

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

    > I was thinking about running CAT5
    > from my office to downstairs but that is a complete pain and there's
    > got to be a way to do this wireless.

    The simple and cost effective approach is the above it would seem. Wireless
    is flaky enough as it is with just being wireless.

    Have you invested in a UPS to protect the router and other equipment? I say
    this because many home users just plug the router into a electric wall
    outlet with a surge protector strip thinking that should be enough?

    Users start posting that the router is having problems. The router doesn't
    like bad power like home appliances spiking the line when devices turn on
    and off, brown outs, or sudden lost of power, which the router can become
    defective if it is on a continuous basis.

    Duane :)

Wireless Internet Service Providers Wireless Networking