Cannot reconnect to Remote Desktop

May 12, 2005 1:29:51 PM

Having an issue with XP Pro w/SP2.

Sometimes, when I try to reconnect to my PC from work, the Remote Desktop
screen comes up blank, and the windows logon box never shows up. It just
sits there with a black screen until I close the window. Subsequent
attempts to reconnect to a session gives the same result. The only way to
clear this is to reboot my PC.

The system log shows the following event that corresponds with each attempt
to connect:

Event ID: 50
Source: TermDD

The RDP protocol component X.224 detected an error in the protocol stream
and has disconnected the client.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Chris
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 1:32:32 PM

Perhaps the following Knowledge Base Articles will help:

HOW TO: Configure a Computer to Receive Remote Assistance Offers in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301527&Product=winxp

Support WebCast: Using Windows Remote Assistance
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826769&Product=winxp

Overview of Remote Assistance in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;300546

Troubleshooting Remote Assistance Issues
http://www.chicagotech.net/rdesktop.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"ch_squire" wrote:

| Having an issue with XP Pro w/SP2.
|
| Sometimes, when I try to reconnect to my PC from work, the Remote Desktop
| screen comes up blank, and the windows logon box never shows up. It just
| sits there with a black screen until I close the window. Subsequent
| attempts to reconnect to a session gives the same result. The only way to
| clear this is to reboot my PC.
|
| The system log shows the following event that corresponds with each attempt
| to connect:
|
| Event ID: 50
| Source: TermDD
|
| The RDP protocol component X.224 detected an error in the protocol stream
| and has disconnected the client.
|
| Any ideas?
|
| Thanks,
|
| -Chris

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0519-2, 05/12/2005
Tested on: 5/12/2005 9:32:32 AM