Cannot reconnect to Remote Desktop

Having an issue with XP Pro w/SP2.

Sometimes, when I try to reconnect to my PC from work, the Remote Desktop
screen comes up blank, and the windows logon box never shows up. It just
sits there with a black screen until I close the window. Subsequent
attempts to reconnect to a session gives the same result. The only way to
clear this is to reboot my PC.

The system log shows the following event that corresponds with each attempt
to connect:

Event ID: 50
Source: TermDD

The RDP protocol component X.224 detected an error in the protocol stream
and has disconnected the client.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Chris
1 answer Last reply
More about cannot reconnect remote desktop

    Perhaps the following Knowledge Base Articles will help:

    HOW TO: Configure a Computer to Receive Remote Assistance Offers in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301527&Product=winxp

    Support WebCast: Using Windows Remote Assistance
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826769&Product=winxp

    Overview of Remote Assistance in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;300546

    Troubleshooting Remote Assistance Issues
    http://www.chicagotech.net/rdesktop.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "ch_squire" wrote:

    | Having an issue with XP Pro w/SP2.
    |
    | Sometimes, when I try to reconnect to my PC from work, the Remote Desktop
    | screen comes up blank, and the windows logon box never shows up. It just
    | sits there with a black screen until I close the window. Subsequent
    | attempts to reconnect to a session gives the same result. The only way to
    | clear this is to reboot my PC.
    |
    | The system log shows the following event that corresponds with each attempt
    | to connect:
    |
    | Event ID: 50
    | Source: TermDD
    |
    | The RDP protocol component X.224 detected an error in the protocol stream
    | and has disconnected the client.
    |
    | Any ideas?
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | -Chris

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0519-2, 05/12/2005
    Tested on: 5/12/2005 9:32:32 AM

Remote Desktop Connection Windows XP