XP Clean Install Issues

Tags:
  • Clean Install
  • Windows XP
May 12, 2005 12:12:01 PM

I have a new hard drive and am trying to install a new copy of XP Pro. It
will not boot from the CD...so i used a Windows ME floppy bootdisk. I will
get to the point where is says to start the install go to e:\setup.exe.
After I type that in and hit enter it tells me that the cd drive cannot
read...what should I do next?

Brad

More about : clean install issues

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 2:19:06 PM

Did you open your BIOS and set the CD Drive as the first bootable device?

Alternative:

How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310994

Note: Make sure you download the correct setup disks
according to the type of Windows XP CD you own.

The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

5. Clean Install Windows XP

[Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
and download the available "Critical Updates".

8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
and audio drivers.

9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"brad" wrote:

| I have a new hard drive and am trying to install a new copy of XP Pro. It
| will not boot from the CD...so i used a Windows ME floppy bootdisk. I will
| get to the point where is says to start the install go to e:\setup.exe.
| After I type that in and hit enter it tells me that the cd drive cannot
| read...what should I do next?
|
| Brad

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0519-2, 05/12/2005
Tested on: 5/12/2005 10:19:06 AM
May 12, 2005 2:19:07 PM

yes...i set the bios correctly as well as made sure that all of the
connections were secure to the cdrom drive...i tried every combination of
Bott sequences possible...it still will not read the CD or boot from
it...anything else I can do?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_setup.htm
>
> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "brad" wrote:
>
> | I have a new hard drive and am trying to install a new copy of XP Pro. It
> | will not boot from the CD...so i used a Windows ME floppy bootdisk. I will
> | get to the point where is says to start the install go to e:\setup.exe.
> | After I type that in and hit enter it tells me that the cd drive cannot
> | read...what should I do next?
> |
> | Brad
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 0519-2, 05/12/2005

May 12, 2005 2:19:08 PM

I know this is a simple thing to suggest, but I know it's often overlooked.
Try another CD (not an XP CD) that you know is bootable. Then at least you
know if it's the CD or not. I say this because I have seen several cases
where some systems/drives have issues booting from the XP CD.

"brad" <brad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

>> "brad" wrote:
>>
>> | I have a new hard drive and am trying to install a new copy of XP Pro.
>> It
>> | will not boot from the CD...so i used a Windows ME floppy bootdisk. I
>> will
>> | get to the point where is says to start the install go to e:\setup.exe.
>> | After I type that in and hit enter it tells me that the cd drive cannot
>> | read...what should I do next?
>> |
>> | Brad
>>

>> ---
>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>> Virus Database (VPS): 0519-2, 05/12/2005

May 12, 2005 2:19:09 PM

thank you for the suggestion and I thought it would work...but no...i am
still recieving the same error message...cannot read etc...

"Tester" wrote:

> [...]
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064
> >>
> >> Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup
> >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_setup.htm
> >>
> >> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]
> >>
> >> --
> >> Carey Frisch
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP - Shell/User
> >> Microsoft Newsgroups
> >>
> >> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...
> >>
> >> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> >> It
> >> will

> >> ---
> >> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
> >> Virus Database (VPS): 0519-2, 05/12/2005
> >> Tested on: 5/12/2005 10:19:06 AM
> >> avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.

May 12, 2005 3:27:07 PM

You should be able to boot from the XP CD. Have you checked the BIOS
setting for boot order? Was the CD drive working correctly before you got
the new hard drive? Do you get the same error if you type dir e: at the
command prompt?

A Windows 9X boot disk includes drivers that support most, but not all, CD
drives. If a drive is unsupported the disk has be modified to include and
load the proper driver. What make computer and cd drive is involved?
--

>I have a new hard drive and am trying to install a new copy of XP Pro. It
> will not boot from the CD...so i used a Windows ME floppy bootdisk. I
> will
> get to the point where is says to start the install go to e:\setup.exe.
> After I type that in and hit enter it tells me that the cd drive cannot
> read...what should I do next?
>
> Brad
May 12, 2005 3:27:08 PM

all BIOS settings have been tried, the CD drive was working properly prior to
the new HD...and yes I get the same error at the command prompt

Brad

"GTS" wrote:

> You should be able to boot from the XP CD. Have you checked the BIOS
> setting for boot order? Was the CD drive working correctly before you got
> the new hard drive? Do you get the same error if you type dir e: at the
> command prompt?
>
> A Windows 9X boot disk includes drivers that support most, but not all, CD
> drives. If a drive is unsupported the disk has be modified to include and
> load the proper driver. What make computer and cd drive is involved?
> --
>
> "brad" <brad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a new hard drive and am trying to install a new copy of XP Pro. It
> > will not boot from the CD...so i used a Windows ME floppy bootdisk. I
> > will
> > get to the point where is says to start the install go to e:\setup.exe.
> > After I type that in and hit enter it tells me that the cd drive cannot
> > read...what should I do next?
> >
> > Brad

May 12, 2005 4:10:27 PM

In that case, I suggest try the dir e: with a different CD to eliminate the
possibility a defective XP CD. If you get the same error, it will confirm
that the ME drivers do not support your CD drive. Tester's suggestion is
good advice also and you might try that first.
--

> all BIOS settings have been tried, the CD drive was working properly prior
> the new HD...and yes I get the same error at the command prompt
>
> Brad
>
> "GTS" wrote:
>
>> You should be able to boot from the XP CD. Have you checked the BIOS
>> setting for boot order? Was the CD drive working correctly before you
>> got
>> the new hard drive? Do you get the same error if you type dir e: at the
>> command prompt?
>>
>> A Windows 9X boot disk includes drivers that support most, but not all,
>> CD
>> drives. If a drive is unsupported the disk has be modified to include
>> and
>> load the proper driver. What make computer and cd drive is involved?
>> --
>>
>> "brad" <brad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a new hard drive and am trying to install a new copy of XP Pro.
>> >It
>> > will not boot from the CD...so i used a Windows ME floppy bootdisk. I
>> > will
>> > get to the point where is says to start the install go to e:\setup.exe.
>> > After I type that in and hit enter it tells me that the cd drive cannot
>> > read...what should I do next?
>> >
>> > Brad

May 12, 2005 4:10:28 PM

would it possibly be easier to take to new HD and the XP CD to a different
computer and load it that way?

Brad

"GTS" wrote:

> In that case, I suggest try the dir e: with a different CD to eliminate the
> possibility a defective XP CD. If you get the same error, it will confirm
> that the ME drivers do not support your CD drive. Tester's suggestion is
> good advice also and you might try that first.
> --
>
> "brad" <brad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > all BIOS settings have been tried, the CD drive was working properly prior
> > the new HD...and yes I get the same error at the command prompt
> >
> > Brad
> >
> > "GTS" wrote:
> >
> >> You should be able to boot from the XP CD. Have you checked the BIOS
> >> setting for boot order? Was the CD drive working correctly before you
> >> got
> >> the new hard drive? Do you get the same error if you type dir e: at the
> >> command prompt?
> >>
> >> A Windows 9X boot disk includes drivers that support most, but not all,
> >> CD
> >> drives. If a drive is unsupported the disk has be modified to include
> >> and
> >> load the proper driver. What make computer and cd drive is involved?
> >> --
> >>
> >> "brad" <brad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

May 12, 2005 4:10:28 PM

I would really work on getting a working bootable CDROM (any optical) drive
setup. Sure you can install XP from another system or with bootable
floppies. If you HAVE to use a boot floppy. You need to use the Windows XP
SP2 flopplies (or SP1 or non-SP1 depending on the CD you have). From a
working system you download the package from Microsoft, it will then create
about 6 floppies. You boot from these, and after all 6 floppies are swapped
through, it will use the XP CD and install.

But I still highly recommend having a working boot CDROM drive. First see if
any other non-XP CD will boot for you. Some systems require you press a key,
"Press any key to boot from CD...."

If other bootable CDs boot fine, your disc or drive has issues. Make sure
the XP CD is not a CDR backup too. Although not required by most
motherboards, you can try making sure the newest optical (CDROM) drive is
the Master on the Secondary IDE channel. Some systems have shown boot
problems as the secondary on the Primary IDE channel. Plus XP will install
fast being a different channel than the C drive.

If no bootable CDs will boot and the BIOS is set correctly. Then I would
suggest buying or borrowing another optical drive and seeing if that works.
Also try another IDE cable. I hate it when I do a lot of troubleshooting and
it was just a cable that went bad.

"GTS" <x> wrote in message news:o g8Wf0wVFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> In that case, I suggest try the dir e: with a different CD to eliminate
> the possibility a defective XP CD. If you get the same error, it will
> confirm that the ME drivers do not support your CD drive. Tester's
> suggestion is good advice also and you might try that first.
> --
>
> "brad" <brad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> all BIOS settings have been tried, the CD drive was working properly
>> prior to
>> the new HD...and yes I get the same error at the command prompt
>>
>> Brad
>>
>> "GTS" wrote:
>>
>>> You should be able to boot from the XP CD. Have you checked the BIOS
>>> setting for boot order? Was the CD drive working correctly before you
>>> got
>>> the new hard drive? Do you get the same error if you type dir e: at
>>> the
>>> command prompt?
>>>
>>> A Windows 9X boot disk includes drivers that support most, but not all,
>>> CD
>>> drives. If a drive is unsupported the disk has be modified to include
>>> and
>>> load the proper driver. What make computer and cd drive is involved?
>>> --
>>>
>>> "brad" <brad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 4:59:40 PM

May be a ridiculous question - but - are you using the correct drive e.g.
"E"- since the ME setup disk usually sets up a ram drive and shuffles the
drive designations.
May 12, 2005 4:59:41 PM

that is a good point...it did set up a ram "d" drive but even when i tried to
boot from CDROM it still refused to read it...also it would switch between
"e" and "f" drives...still confused

"AJR" wrote:

> May be a ridiculous question - but - are you using the correct drive e.g.
> "E"- since the ME setup disk usually sets up a ram drive and shuffles the
> drive designations.

May 12, 2005 4:59:42 PM

Easier is relative. I would try to make a workable boot floppy, but I'm a
tech and can understand why you may find that intimidating. See
http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/Win98Install_Real.... and
http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/cdboot1.html for some help on going about
this. You might also post the hardware specifics here.

The problem with the other PC idea is that the other computer would have to
be identical, or nearly identical in terms of hardware. If it's a different
chip set or CPU family, XP would not boot when you put the drive in your
machine. (A hardware configuration called HAL or Hardware Abstraction
Layer is built by XP during the installation customized for the computer.)
If it was a very similar computer it might boot in yours in which case you
could then update/fix what hardware driver problems are shown) some of which
plug and play might resolve by itself.)

You might consider changing your CD drive to one that work with the generic
ME boot drivers even a used or cheap drive that you could swap back out
later. It might also be possible to format the hard drive in another
computer and copy the XP CD installation to it to run on yours from the hard
drive.
--

> would it possibly be easier to take to new HD and the XP CD to a different
> computer and load it that way?
>
> Brad
>
> "GTS" wrote:
>
>> In that case, I suggest try the dir e: with a different CD to eliminate
>> the
>> possibility a defective XP CD. If you get the same error, it will
>> confirm
>> that the ME drivers do not support your CD drive. Tester's suggestion
>> is
>> good advice also and you might try that first.
>> --
>>
>> "brad" <brad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > all BIOS settings have been tried, the CD drive was working properly
>> > prior
>> > the new HD...and yes I get the same error at the command prompt
>> >
>> > Brad

May 12, 2005 4:59:43 PM

excellent suggestions...i will give that a shot...thank you

"GTS" wrote:

> Easier is relative. I would try to make a workable boot floppy, but I'm a
> tech and can understand why you may find that intimidating. See
> http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/Win98Install_Real.... and
> http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/cdboot1.html for some help on going about
> this. You might also post the hardware specifics here.
>
> The problem with the other PC idea is that the other computer would have to
> be identical, or nearly identical in terms of hardware. If it's a different
> chip set or CPU family, XP would not boot when you put the drive in your
> machine. (A hardware configuration called HAL or Hardware Abstraction
> Layer is built by XP during the installation customized for the computer.)
> If it was a very similar computer it might boot in yours in which case you
> could then update/fix what hardware driver problems are shown) some of which
> plug and play might resolve by itself.)
>
> You might consider changing your CD drive to one that work with the generic
> ME boot drivers even a used or cheap drive that you could swap back out
> later. It might also be possible to format the hard drive in another
> computer and copy the XP CD installation to it to run on yours from the hard
> drive.
> --
>

> "brad" <brad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > would it possibly be easier to take to new HD and the XP CD to a different
> > computer and load it that way?
> >
> > Brad
> >
> > "GTS" wrote:
> >
> >> In that case, I suggest try the dir e: with a different CD to eliminate
> >> the
> >> possibility a defective XP CD. If you get the same error, it will
> >> confirm
> >> that the ME drivers do not support your CD drive. Tester's suggestion
> >> is
> >> good advice also and you might try that first.
> >> --
> >>
> >> "brad" <brad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 5:22:15 PM

Brad - please explain drive switching e.g. "E" to "F"?
Here is a "long way home" - assuming you have Win ME- which will boot from
CD- install ME and upgrade to XP (One problem may be a request by ME to
verify previous Win installation).
May 12, 2005 6:16:35 PM

You're welcome. Good Luck.
--