Can't download after trojan infection.

Friend of mine is having a problem with his new xp machine.
He got infected with Trojan.Desktophijack
(http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.desktoph
ijack.html).
He believes he's gotten rid of the infection with Kaspersky.
The problem now is that he can no longer d/l anything with IE6.
He's tried setting the IE security to it's lowest, turned off the xp
firewall. He say's he's gone through all IE's security settings and
can't locate the problem. I suggested www.pcpitstop.com and Browsertune
http://www.browsertune.com/bt2kfast/ but he can't use those sites either
because he can't install the activeX controls they use.
He can't use Windows Update either.
There is no "Repair IE6" tool, is there?
Is there anyway to re-install IE6 and reset it to it's default security
level?
I've put Mozilla Suite on a disk for him to install (yes, I know about
the new, big security hole). Is it possible his problem is more than IE6
and he won't be able to d/l with Mozilla either?
Obviously he has an ActiveX control issue. Is there another part in the
OS that controls downloading? IE6 and XP don't have Java, do they?
Tips, ideas, suggestions?
HWIH POSTERS MUST DIE!

HWIH (Here's What I Have)
http://www.sugarat.org/abmsf-faq.html#10

Check at Kelly's http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm Select I
and scroll to IE.

In article <yaPge.13853$ya2.5603@tornado.socal.rr.com>,
rbarryNot@socal.rr.com says...
> Check at Kelly's http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm Select I
> and scroll to IE.

Thanks for the reply.
I did give him the url for that site but I spend more time downloading
the tweaks myself.