How to monitor what programs are accessing the network?

Rich

Is there a way that I can determine what programs are accessing (up or
download) my internet connection?

I find that I have network transfers occurring and I would like to
find out if it is MS updates, Norton updates, or some other program
that thinks it should be able to use the internet anytime it feels
like it.

I have looked in my running processes and have found nothing using CPU
time except System Idle, Task manager (of course), and Explorer.

Any suggestions?

TIA, Rich

"Rich" <grstidge@localnet.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way that I can determine what programs are accessing (up or
> download) my internet connection?
>
> I find that I have network transfers occurring and I would like to
> find out if it is MS updates, Norton updates, or some other program
> that thinks it should be able to use the internet anytime it feels
> like it.
>
> I have looked in my running processes and have found nothing using CPU
> time except System Idle, Task manager (of course), and Explorer.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA, Rich

Try SPF (Sygate Personal Firewall). It notifies you when any program wants
the network. You can allow, deny or allow all the time, each program that
want the internet. Let you know if someone is trying to enter you computer
and keeps a log. It's free to for private use.

Rich

Thanks for the suggestion. Got it, installed, and it looks like it
will be just what I need.

Now I just have to understand what I am looking at.

For instance, every time I connect to the internet, Windows Explorer
wants to connect. This is Explorer, not Internet Explorer. Any idea
what gives?

Rich