Kingston value line memory for Dell Dimension

I just bought a Dimension 3000 w/256mb ram, I want to add another 256mb.
Dell specifies PC3200 DDR 400 ram Kingston reccomends KTD8300/256 they sell
another PC3200 DDR 400 product under it's value line as KVR400/256R (184
pin DIMM) which I bought for $25 from Circuit City (haven't installed yet).
When I called Kingston to see if this memory would work in the Dell the tech
said no, the value line memory is for cutom built motherboards and gave no
specific reason why it wouldn't work. The price difference is more than
double. Anybody had experience in this area?
17 answers Last reply
More about kingston line memory dell dimension

    "JohnS" <jmspital@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I just bought a Dimension 3000 w/256mb ram, I want to add another 256mb.
    >Dell specifies PC3200 DDR 400 ram Kingston reccomends KTD8300/256 they sell
    >another PC3200 DDR 400 product under it's value line as KVR400/256R (184
    >pin DIMM) which I bought for $25 from Circuit City (haven't installed yet).
    >When I called Kingston to see if this memory would work in the Dell the
    >tech said no, the value line memory is for cutom built motherboards and
    >gave no specific reason why it wouldn't work. The price difference is more
    >than double. Anybody had experience in this area?

    Not with Kingston value DIMMs, but you could try it and see. The machine
    will either recognize it and POST with it or it will puke when you try to
    boot :) In that event, you can just return it and move up to the
    KTD8300....

    Stew

    I have used RAM from a number of manufacturers including Kingston ValuRam,
    Samsung, Micron, Spectek (division of Micron), Infineon, and Hynix and they
    all worked equally well with a number of Dell systems that they were
    installed in. I believe the key is in name brand quality RAM as opposed to
    generic (no name) low grade RAM.

    I have also received systems from Dell with a great number of manufacturer's
    RAM and all ran rock solid. Actually in Canada the price of Dell RAM is now
    very competitive and within $5 of locally available RAM. And compared to big
    box retailers, is much cheaper.

    Regards,
    John O.

    In article <QIMUd.7617$xm5.167@fe1.columbus.rr.com>, jmspital@yahoo.com says...

    > I just bought a Dimension 3000 w/256mb ram, I want to add another 256mb.
    > Dell specifies PC3200 DDR 400 ram Kingston reccomends KTD8300/256 they sell
    > another PC3200 DDR 400 product under it's value line as KVR400/256R (184
    > pin DIMM) which I bought for $25 from Circuit City (haven't installed yet).
    > When I called Kingston to see if this memory would work in the Dell the tech
    > said no, the value line memory is for cutom built motherboards and gave no
    > specific reason why it wouldn't work. The price difference is more than
    > double. Anybody had experience in this area?

    I've been using ValueLine RAM in Dell systems for ages. Never once had any problems.

    Remember, it's to Kingston's advantage if you buy the higher-priced stuff, especially
    if it didn't cost them any more to make.

    Keep the peace(es).

    > "JohnS" <jmspital@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>I just bought a Dimension 3000 w/256mb ram, I want to add another 256mb.
    >>Dell specifies PC3200 DDR 400 ram Kingston reccomends KTD8300/256 they
    >>sell another PC3200 DDR 400 product under it's value line as KVR400/256R
    >>(184 pin DIMM) which I bought for $25 from Circuit City (haven't installed
    >>yet). When I called Kingston to see if this memory would work in the Dell
    >>the tech said no, the value line memory is for cutom built motherboards
    >>and gave no specific reason why it wouldn't work. The price difference is
    >>more than double. Anybody had experience in this area?
    >>

    > Not with Kingston value DIMMs, but you could try it and see. The machine
    > will either recognize it and POST with it or it will puke when you try to
    > boot :) In that event, you can just return it and move up to the
    > KTD8300....
    >
    > Stew

    Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not sure how Circuit City will look at the
    return. Kingston's web site accepts returns on their main line of ram but
    only takes "defective" returns on the value line. Unless someone knows this
    ram will work, I think I'm going to be returning it and buying memory from
    Crucial which is significantly less expensive and their web site is more
    state of the art (it downloads and runs a utility that checks your system --
    tells you what you have -- specifies which part number to purchase for that
    system).
    Thanks again.

    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "JohnS" <jmspital@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>>I just bought a Dimension 3000 w/256mb ram, I want to add another 256mb.
    >>>Dell specifies PC3200 DDR 400 ram Kingston reccomends KTD8300/256 they
    >>>sell another PC3200 DDR 400 product under it's value line as KVR400/256R
    >>>(184 pin DIMM) which I bought for $25 from Circuit City (haven't
    >>>installed yet). When I called Kingston to see if this memory would work
    >>>in the Dell the tech said no, the value line memory is for cutom built
    >>>motherboards and gave no specific reason why it wouldn't work. The price
    >>>difference is more than double. Anybody had experience in this area?
    >>>

    >> Not with Kingston value DIMMs, but you could try it and see. The machine
    >> will either recognize it and POST with it or it will puke when you try to
    >> boot :) In that event, you can just return it and move up to the
    >> KTD8300....
    >>
    >> Stew
    >>
    > Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not sure how Circuit City will look at
    > the return. Kingston's web site accepts returns on their main line of ram
    > but only takes "defective" returns on the value line. Unless someone
    > knows this ram will work, I think I'm going to be returning it and buying
    > memory from Crucial which is significantly less expensive and their web
    > site is more state of the art (it downloads and runs a utility that checks
    > your system -- tells you what you have -- specifies which part number to
    > purchase for that system).
    > Thanks again.

    Well since you put it that way, I would've recommended Crucial in the first
    place :)

    2-day free FedEx and a lifetime guarantee are hard to beat. I've only had
    one order that needed an RMA from those guys and they were equally
    accomodating.

    Stew

    Make sure you have room to add more memory. The 3000 only has two memory
    slots.

    This will also be a consideration if you decide you need more memory in the
    future.

    "JohnS" <jmspital@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "JohnS" <jmspital@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>>I just bought a Dimension 3000 w/256mb ram, I want to add another 256mb.
    >>>Dell specifies PC3200 DDR 400 ram Kingston reccomends KTD8300/256 they
    >>>sell another PC3200 DDR 400 product under it's value line as KVR400/256R
    >>>(184 pin DIMM) which I bought for $25 from Circuit City (haven't
    >>>installed yet). When I called Kingston to see if this memory would work
    >>>in the Dell the tech said no, the value line memory is for cutom built
    >>>motherboards and gave no specific reason why it wouldn't work. The price
    >>>difference is more than double. Anybody had experience in this area?
    >>>

    >> Not with Kingston value DIMMs, but you could try it and see. The machine
    >> will either recognize it and POST with it or it will puke when you try to
    >> boot :) In that event, you can just return it and move up to the
    >> KTD8300....
    >>
    >> Stew
    >>
    > Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not sure how Circuit City will look at
    > the return. Kingston's web site accepts returns on their main line of ram
    > but only takes "defective" returns on the value line. Unless someone
    > knows this ram will work, I think I'm going to be returning it and buying
    > memory from Crucial which is significantly less expensive and their web
    > site is more state of the art (it downloads and runs a utility that checks
    > your system -- tells you what you have -- specifies which part number to
    > purchase for that system).
    > Thanks again.

    I've never found many Kingston ValueRAM DIMMs to be only for "custom built"
    motherboards, especially in recent years starting with the late Pentium II epoch
    (just after the Pleistocene epoch for many people) and I've run into very little
    ValueRAM that is not reliable. Kingston plays the same game as the name-brand
    manufacturers, pricing memory higher because it is "special", when it really is
    commodity memory with a special sticker in a package with a special paper label.
    To Kingston's credit, their memory costs lots less than ordering from Dell, or
    IBM, or Gateway or HP.

    So try it. You'll like it. If your motherboard likes it, that is. Then
    download and run MEMTEST-86 to exercise the new memory and make sure it is
    compatible... Ben Myers

    "Dr. Anton Squeegee" <SpammersAreVermin@dev.null> wrote in message
    > In article <QIMUd.7617$xm5.167@fe1.columbus.rr.com>, jmspital@yahoo.com
    > says...
    >
    >> I just bought a Dimension 3000 w/256mb ram, I want to add another 256mb.
    >> Dell specifies PC3200 DDR 400 ram Kingston reccomends KTD8300/256 they
    >> sell
    >> another PC3200 DDR 400 product under it's value line as KVR400/256R (184
    >> pin DIMM) which I bought for $25 from Circuit City (haven't installed
    >> yet).
    >> When I called Kingston to see if this memory would work in the Dell the
    >> tech
    >> said no, the value line memory is for cutom built motherboards and gave
    >> no
    >> specific reason why it wouldn't work. The price difference is more than
    >> double. Anybody had experience in this area?
    >
    > I've been using ValueLine RAM in Dell systems for ages. Never once had any
    > problems.
    >
    > Remember, it's to Kingston's advantage if you buy the higher-priced stuff,
    > especially
    > if it didn't cost them any more to make.
    >
    > Keep the peace(es).

    I'm sure you're right, but the computer is new this week -- and I have seen
    bad memory trash a motherboard. If that's the game Kingston wants to play
    it's too bad because I just returned it to Circuit City and ordered from
    Crucial for even less.

    Thanks for the reply.
    I just returned the memory and bought Crucial's equivilent. If I had read
    you response first I probably would have kept it since you seem to have
    enough experience with ValueRAM and Dell products.
    Thanks again.

    > I've never found many Kingston ValueRAM DIMMs to be only for "custom
    > built"
    > motherboards, especially in recent years starting with the late Pentium II
    > epoch
    > (just after the Pleistocene epoch for many people) and I've run into very
    > little
    > ValueRAM that is not reliable. Kingston plays the same game as the
    > name-brand
    > manufacturers, pricing memory higher because it is "special", when it
    > really is
    > commodity memory with a special sticker in a package with a special paper
    > label.
    > To Kingston's credit, their memory costs lots less than ordering from
    > Dell, or
    > IBM, or Gateway or HP.
    >
    > So try it. You'll like it. If your motherboard likes it, that is. Then
    > download and run MEMTEST-86 to exercise the new memory and make sure it is
    > compatible... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:14:08 GMT, "JohnS" <jmspital@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I just bought a Dimension 3000 w/256mb ram, I want to add another 256mb.
    >>Dell specifies PC3200 DDR 400 ram Kingston reccomends KTD8300/256 they
    >>sell
    >>another PC3200 DDR 400 product under it's value line as KVR400/256R (184
    >>pin DIMM) which I bought for $25 from Circuit City (haven't installed
    >>yet).
    >>When I called Kingston to see if this memory would work in the Dell the
    >>tech
    >>said no, the value line memory is for cutom built motherboards and gave no
    >>specific reason why it wouldn't work. The price difference is more than
    >>double. Anybody had experience in this area?

    I have Dell 4600. The memory specifications are PC3200 DDR 400 unbuffered
    non-ECC.

    I would think any brand memory that meets these requirements should work
    with Dell 4600. Am I right? Thanks.

    "AJ" <jaj_777@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >I have Dell 4600. The memory specifications are PC3200 DDR 400 unbuffered
    >non-ECC.
    >
    > I would think any brand memory that meets these requirements should work
    > with Dell 4600. Am I right? Thanks.

    www.crucial.com

    www.4allmemory.com

    If your CPU has a 533mhz FSB (external clock), then it will use
    PC2700/333mhz DDR. You can use the faster PC3200, but it will run at 333mhz
    unless your CPU is an 800mhz FSB model.

    I'm not positive, but I thought that all of the Dim4600's used 533mhz FSB
    cpus....

    Stew

    Close. Quality does count. The Intel designed motherboards used in Dells are
    very picky. By design! ... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 00:42:32 GMT, "AJ" <jaj_777@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    >I have Dell 4600. The memory specifications are PC3200 DDR 400 unbuffered
    >non-ECC.
    >
    >I would think any brand memory that meets these requirements should work
    >with Dell 4600. Am I right? Thanks.

    > Close. Quality does count. The Intel designed motherboards used in Dells
    > are
    > very picky. By design! ... Ben Myers

    Are Kingston and Corsiar considered low quality? They are cheaper than
    Crucial.

    > I'm not positive, but I thought that all of the Dim4600's used 533mhz FSB
    > cpus....

    My Dell 4600 has 800 FSB and P4 3.0E CPU. It takes 184-pin memory sticks.

    Lower quality than Crucial, but still pretty decent. Both supply OEM memory to
    the major name-brand mfrs, who cannot suffer memory failures very often.

    .... Ben Myers

    "AJ" <jaj_777x@excite.com> wrote in message

    >> I'm not positive, but I thought that all of the Dim4600's used 533mhz FSB
    >> cpus....
    >
    > My Dell 4600 has 800 FSB and P4 3.0E CPU. It takes 184-pin memory sticks.

    Yes, you are most correct:

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/en/4600i/sm/specs.htm#1119251

    Thanks for the correction. So the OP can run 400mhz DDR at spec. if he has
    an 800mhz FSB chip....

    Stew

    > When I called Kingston to see if this memory would work in the Dell the
    tech
    > said no, the value line memory is for cutom built motherboards and gave no
    > specific reason why it wouldn't work. The price difference is more than
    double.
    > Anybody had experience in this area?

    Kingston sells three "grades' of memory products:
    ValueRAM
    Kingston branded memory
    HyperX

    ValueRAM memory is designed for generic (home-built) systems and is the type
    'usually' sold through retail stores. You purchase this type by specific
    spec (i.e., 256 MB DDR400 PC3200 CL2 DIMM) & not by system. DIMM is 100%
    tested after completion. No return or refund unless proven defective.
    Lifetime guarantee.

    If your certain as to what you need, ValueRAM offers the best
    bang-for-the-buck and should work fine.

    Kingston branded memory has been tested and is guaranteed to work with a
    specific systems (Dell 8400 et.al) or class of systems (Dell 6100 series,
    etc.). It offers full return privileges, even if you ordered the memory for
    the wrong system. 100% component tested. Lifetime guarantee.

    HyperX memory is their high-end. Top components designed primarily for game
    systems and systems needing to run at near max, most of the time. Comes with
    24/7 tech support. Have heat spreaders for "optimum thermal diffusion". Most
    stable. Lifetime guarantee.

Dell Dimension Kingston Memory Computers