WTB 5 Inch Std Res monitor

Hello, check on ebay, as I bought one not too long ago. If none pop up,
do a search for ended auctions and look for the guy selling them. It's
a 5" standard res monitor made by Samsung. Pretty cool little thing
actually.

Bentley Bear wrote:
> If such a thing exists.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Try searching for Samtron. I bought one from Timeline surplus

maybe the links below will come through. if not email me at

bob at langelius dot com

http://www.timeline-inc.com/blowout.html#monitor

Then it needs to be converted.

http://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/spies.cgi?action=url&type=conv&page=SamtronCGAtoArcade.txt

I have not done the conversion yet, but i bought 2 for ~$20 ea a year
ago. i was thinking of making a tiny Galaga.

Bob

yep, they do. I've got 2 of them. They are cheap but come in a
cardboard "frame" and need a little bit of modding but work great.

http://www.timeline-inc.com/blowout.html#monitor

Pat D.

pittmanrob@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hello, check on ebay, as I bought one not too long ago. If none pop up,
> do a search for ended auctions and look for the guy selling them. It's
> a 5" standard res monitor made by Samsung. Pretty cool little thing
> actually.
>
> Bentley Bear wrote:
>
>>If such a thing exists.

so how hard is it to hook up one of these 5 inch color monitors to a jamma
board? probaby a vertical one. and.. would the display look any good?

anyone have any pics of one running a game?

k.

"Pat D" <patdanis@comcast.net> wrote in message
> yep, they do. I've got 2 of them. They are cheap but come in a
> cardboard "frame" and need a little bit of modding but work great.
>
> http://www.timeline-inc.com/blowout.html#monitor
>

> Pat D.
>

> pittmanrob@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Hello, check on ebay, as I bought one not too long ago. If none pop up,
> > do a search for ended auctions and look for the guy selling them. It's
> > a 5" standard res monitor made by Samsung. Pretty cool little thing
> > actually.
> >
> > Bentley Bear wrote:
> >
> >>If such a thing exists.

Vaxx

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

Hasn't JROK got something about using a lcd playstation monitor as a
standard res rgb monitor somewhere?
"Keith in NJ" <winner@soulshot.com> wrote in message
> so how hard is it to hook up one of these 5 inch color monitors to a jamma
> board? probaby a vertical one. and.. would the display look any good?
>
> anyone have any pics of one running a game?
>
> k.
>

> "Pat D" <patdanis@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > yep, they do. I've got 2 of them. They are cheap but come in a
> > cardboard "frame" and need a little bit of modding but work great.
> >
> > http://www.timeline-inc.com/blowout.html#monitor
> >

> > Pat D.
> >

> > pittmanrob@yahoo.com wrote:
> > > Hello, check on ebay, as I bought one not too long ago. If none pop
up,
> > > do a search for ended auctions and look for the guy selling them. It's
> > > a 5" standard res monitor made by Samsung. Pretty cool little thing
> > > actually.

Hey Keith, I just ordered one of these 5" monitors yesturday. I'll let
you know how it turns out when I get it and do the conversion to the
monitor so it'll work with jamma arcade boards.

Don
NJ

I don't think I every noticed him. Anyone know who he is?

Don
NJ

still wondering.
has anyone hooked up one of these to a jamma board? how's it look.

i'd definitely like to build a super mini machine based off one of those
small footprint multi jamma boards.

that's be pretty cool i think.

k.

"VaxX" <geoff_gunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
..au...
> Hasn't JROK got something about using a lcd playstation monitor as a
> standard res rgb monitor somewhere?
> "Keith in NJ" <winner@soulshot.com> wrote in message
> > so how hard is it to hook up one of these 5 inch color monitors to a
jamma
> > board? probaby a vertical one. and.. would the display look any good?
> >
> > anyone have any pics of one running a game?
> >
> > k.
> >

> > "Pat D" <patdanis@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > yep, they do. I've got 2 of them. They are cheap but come in a
> > > cardboard "frame" and need a little bit of modding but work great.
> > >
> > > http://www.timeline-inc.com/blowout.html#monitor
> > >

> > > Pat D.

> up,
It's

Hey Don, ever see the guy at the NJ auctions with the board-tester built
into a case? He has an LCD screen, buttons, ps, (not sure about battery...)
built into an aluminum case (smallish at that)...

"Don NJ" <piiifast@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Hey Keith, I just ordered one of these 5" monitors yesturday. I'll let
> you know how it turns out when I get it and do the conversion to the
> monitor so it'll work with jamma arcade boards.
>
> Don
> NJ

ok cool. let me know man.
i will probably order one.

k.

"Don NJ" <piiifast@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Hey Keith, I just ordered one of these 5" monitors yesturday. I'll let
> you know how it turns out when I get it and do the conversion to the
> monitor so it'll work with jamma arcade boards.
>
> Don
> NJ

If you do get one, one of the chips to do the conversion is a little
hard to find. I had to order 2 of them because of a $25 minimum order
placement. Thank god the company I work for deals with them because I
don't think they sell to the general public. Anyway the chip is a
EL4583CN. It's used to separate the composite video sync. I'll let
you have it at cost.

Don
NJ

Pat D <patdanis@comcast.net> wrote:
: yep, they do. I've got 2 of them. They are cheap but come in a
: cardboard "frame" and need a little bit of modding but work great.
:
: http://www.timeline-inc.com/blowout.html#monitor

They're not that cheap after they gouge you on shipping though :)

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

It's not so much the cost of shipping. It's that they just throw them
into a box and the tube likes to rip out of the chipboard housing
during shipping. it is really just a temporary housing till they can be
installed into whatever they were designed for.

This whole thread has me looking into making a small pcb for the
conversion. Does anyone know a cheap way to convert Autocad data to
Gerber?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Mark,
I was just wondering about converting .dwg or .dxf files to gerber.
last time i made a pcb from acad it cost me $200 to get it redrawn in
gerber.
Thanks,
Bob

That layout was made simply using Tim's conversion document. There are
some other cuts and wires that are needed. The PCB is really just for
convenience. And I haven't tried it yet ;)

1. EGA Conversion PCBs
2. ?
3. Profit!

tom

p.s.:
http://www.arcadecollecting.com/info/Samtron_5inch_CGA_to_Arcade.txt
http://www.arcadecollecting.com/info/samtron1.jpg
http://www.arcadecollecting.com/info/samtron2.jpg
http://www.arcadecollecting.com/info/samtron3.jpg

or better yet:
http://www.arcadecollecting.com/info/sonylcd.jpg

Oh,and I almost forgot. There is a better circuit for doing the
conversion. I stole the idea from Mark! :) Haven't redrawn the
schematics or done the layout yet... Mark knows the circuit I am
talking about. Yes.

tm

That would involve me sitting down and redrafting the circuit. Perhaps
next weekend all things being equal. In theory it should work. In
theory.

Bob <bob@langelius.com> wrote:
: It's not so much the cost of shipping. It's that they just throw them
: into a box and the tube likes to rip out of the chipboard housing
: during shipping. it is really just a temporary housing till they can be
: installed into whatever they were designed for.

....and the neck boards crack and the neck pins get all bent up.

: This whole thread has me looking into making a small pcb for the
: conversion. Does anyone know a cheap way to convert Autocad data to
: Gerber?

You can't just make a plug-in board

Those monitors are digital CGA only... you need to eliminate a chunk of
the circuit before worrying about an interface board.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

rgvac_junk@mgcap.com wrote:
:
:> Bob <bob@langelius.com> wrote:
:
:> : This whole thread has me looking into making a small pcb for the
:> : conversion. Does anyone know a cheap way to convert Autocad data to
:> : Gerber?
:
:
: http://www.ionpool.net/ega_adapter.gif

....but you're still running analog signals into a digital IC on the
monitor chassis. Some cga/ega monitors would take analog signals in...
this one is digital only... 16 colors: R,G,B + bright/dim