Change to Athlon64, HAL & Blue screen issues

Sudden and complete failure of my MSI motherboard (P4 3.0G) forced me to buy
a replacement and I decided to upgrade at the same time and I bought an
Athlon 64 board and 3200+ Athlon 64 processor. I checked that my memory and
graphics cards etc would all work, but forgot that the P4 chip had
HyperThreading enabled and so I have effectively moved from a Multiprocessor
system to a single processor system.

Windows XP is blue screening soon after the logo appears, but the screen
disappears too quickly to get the message. I think I have a HAL mismatch. I
have tried an repair-reinstall, and used F5 to ensure that the correct HAL
is being selected (normal APCI PC) but still get the blue screen.

Is there ANY chance of getting my old XP installation back? - I was going to
dual boot Windows 64 for a while before I move 100% over.

thanks

Keith P.

ChrisC

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002

Hi, here http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1755 will give you
all the info you will need....
ChrisC
"KeithXP" <dummy@address.com> wrote in message
> Sudden and complete failure of my MSI motherboard (P4 3.0G) forced me to
> buy a replacement and I decided to upgrade at the same time and I bought
> an Athlon 64 board and 3200+ Athlon 64 processor. I checked that my
> memory and graphics cards etc would all work, but forgot that the P4 chip
> had HyperThreading enabled and so I have effectively moved from a
> Multiprocessor system to a single processor system.
>
> Windows XP is blue screening soon after the logo appears, but the screen
> disappears too quickly to get the message. I think I have a HAL mismatch.
> I have tried an repair-reinstall, and used F5 to ensure that the correct
> HAL is being selected (normal APCI PC) but still get the blue screen.
>
> Is there ANY chance of getting my old XP installation back? - I was going
> to dual boot Windows 64 for a while before I move 100% over.
>
> thanks
>
> Keith P.

frodo

you need to do a "repair install" (also called an In-Place Upgrade) of XP
in order to make your installation recognize the new motherboard.

Boot into the XP Setup CD, and go into the Repair section (not Recover or
Recovery Console). Point to the installation you want to repair and let
it go. Afterwards you will need to revisit Windows Update, as all updates
will be gone. But your accounts and apps will all be there. [Preferabley
you have a slipstreamed CD w/ SP2 on it].

Before you do this, BE SURE your bios settings are right. Specifically,
make sure the APIC (Advanced Programable Interrupt COntroller) option
(different from the ACPI Power Standard) is ENABLED; this allows more
than 16 interrupts, and is required for you to get the (preferred) ACPI
Hal loaded.