Radio Shack Hits New Low

So I'm looking to do the high score save mod on a Frogger board and so
I go into the local RS and ask for "a 24 pin IC socket." The 2 guys
behind the counter both give me blank looks and 1 says he'll ask the
manager.

Manager: "You want a what, now?"
Me: "A 24 pin IC socket"
Manager: "Like for a cell phone?"
Me: (laughing) "No, like for a circuit board."
Manager: "Oh, like electronics stuff?"
Me: "Yeah."
Manager: "Yeah, we don't carry that kinda stuff."

And he was right. A thorough search of the store revealed absolutely
no electronic components. Not 1 capacitor, diode, etc. in the entire
place. Lots of cell phones, toys, stereo equip., DirecTV, and on and
on, but the closest they came to components was one of those 50-in-1
project kits for kids.

I remember as a kid that you could get anything you needed for a home
project at RS, and if they didn't have it in stock they'd order it.
How sad.

Anyway, If anyone knows of a good source for sockets, I'm still in
need of a 24-pin, and I'll probably need a couple 2732s while I'm at
it.

Thanks,

Jeff
37 answers Last reply
More about radio shack hits

    Try these fine companies:

    www.jameco.com

    www.jdr.com

    www.mouser.com

    eh, you can still buy fuses and fuse holders there. At crazy prices, mind you.
    But they'll do in a pinch when you have a "fuse emergency."

    Radio Shack has been going this direction for many years; it shouldn't be a
    surprise. It's too bad, really. Last time I recall them having anything truly
    useful was probably around the late 80's/early 90's. You really have to go to a
    true electronic supply to get the good stuff, anyway.

    Richard

    Ken Layton wrote:
    > Try these fine companies:
    >
    > www.jameco.com
    >
    > www.jdr.com
    >
    > www.mouser.com
    All fine shops. Also, I'd point out www.digikey.com and
    www.newarkinone.com (read: minimum order at NewarkInOne). Local to me
    (but also able to process online or phone orders and ship them out) is
    www.eskc.com -- VERY helpful staff there, with a wide range of parts on
    hand. I've probably ordered something from most of these shops at some
    time, and they've all been pretty good.

    Yep, I know what you mean, though--I called up my RS looking for a
    capacitor on a little TV repair (one of the capacitors just started
    leaking, and the picture went crazy)--first of all, the guy probably
    had very little clue what I was talking about--I asked for a 160v 33
    microfarad capacitor, and he said, "Micro-what?" Okay. I'm done.

    --Doug

    Same thing happened to a few RS stores here in Miami.
    The took away the big cabinet chest with electronic items. All they did
    is move the fuses and fuse holders out and onto a vertical rack.

    I remember in the 80s when they used to have these cool little handheld
    games.

    Marcel

    SFS wrote:
    > So I'm looking to do the high score save mod on a Frogger board and
    so
    > I go into the local RS and ask for "a 24 pin IC socket." The 2 guys
    > behind the counter both give me blank looks and 1 says he'll ask the
    > manager.
    >
    > Manager: "You want a what, now?"
    > Me: "A 24 pin IC socket"
    > Manager: "Like for a cell phone?"
    > Me: (laughing) "No, like for a circuit board."
    > Manager: "Oh, like electronics stuff?"
    > Me: "Yeah."
    > Manager: "Yeah, we don't carry that kinda stuff."
    >
    > And he was right. A thorough search of the store revealed absolutely
    > no electronic components. Not 1 capacitor, diode, etc. in the entire
    > place. Lots of cell phones, toys, stereo equip., DirecTV, and on and
    > on, but the closest they came to components was one of those 50-in-1
    > project kits for kids.
    >
    > I remember as a kid that you could get anything you needed for a home
    > project at RS, and if they didn't have it in stock they'd order it.
    > How sad.
    >
    > Anyway, If anyone knows of a good source for sockets, I'm still in
    > need of a 24-pin, and I'll probably need a couple 2732s while I'm at
    > it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeff

    Radio Shack is being "rebranded" in Canada effective July 1. It has
    been purchased by Circuit City, and will be called "The Source".

    I went into one about a week ago, looking for a Digital Multi Meter.
    Apparently the clerk couldn't find the wire leads that went with the
    only unit left in the store (because they're being "rebranded",
    they're not carrying anything that has the Radio Shack name on it any
    more, but they're not getting any stuff marked "The Source" until
    after July 1).

    The clerk said he'd call the other store and see if they had any...I
    told him I had just come from the other store, and they were out. He
    insisted on calling anyway, and told me with great surprise that they
    were indeed out. I told him I hadn't expected they would be
    restocking in the 15 minutes it took me to drive from that store
    across town to the one I was currently in.

    Long story short, he returned to the back room to see if he could hunt
    the wire leads down, and I went to WalMart...found DMMs cheaper than
    Radio Shack...I hope he's still not in there looking.

    Why am I left with the thought that minimum wage is too much for most
    Radio Shack employees?

    Blaine.

    - - -

    >So I'm looking to do the high score save mod on a Frogger board and so
    >I go into the local RS and ask for "a 24 pin IC socket." The 2 guys
    >behind the counter both give me blank looks and 1 says he'll ask the
    >manager.
    >
    >Manager: "You want a what, now?"
    >Me: "A 24 pin IC socket"
    >Manager: "Like for a cell phone?"
    >Me: (laughing) "No, like for a circuit board."
    >Manager: "Oh, like electronics stuff?"
    >Me: "Yeah."
    >Manager: "Yeah, we don't carry that kinda stuff."
    >
    >And he was right. A thorough search of the store revealed absolutely
    >no electronic components. Not 1 capacitor, diode, etc. in the entire
    >place. Lots of cell phones, toys, stereo equip., DirecTV, and on and
    >on, but the closest they came to components was one of those 50-in-1
    >project kits for kids.
    >
    >I remember as a kid that you could get anything you needed for a home
    >project at RS, and if they didn't have it in stock they'd order it.
    >How sad.
    >
    >Anyway, If anyone knows of a good source for sockets, I'm still in
    >need of a 24-pin, and I'll probably need a couple 2732s while I'm at
    >it.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Jeff

    Well, knowing frys I would never ask anyone there for help. hehe!
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    odd, I stopped in RS the other day and picked up a HD15 male plug with hood
    to make an adapter for a DVD to plug into a Epson LCD projector , of course
    I had to pay about $6.00 for it.

    "SFS" <sfs409@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > So I'm looking to do the high score save mod on a Frogger board and so
    > I go into the local RS and ask for "a 24 pin IC socket." The 2 guys
    > behind the counter both give me blank looks and 1 says he'll ask the
    > manager.
    >
    > Manager: "You want a what, now?"
    > Me: "A 24 pin IC socket"
    > Manager: "Like for a cell phone?"
    > Me: (laughing) "No, like for a circuit board."
    > Manager: "Oh, like electronics stuff?"
    > Me: "Yeah."
    > Manager: "Yeah, we don't carry that kinda stuff."
    >
    > And he was right. A thorough search of the store revealed absolutely
    > no electronic components. Not 1 capacitor, diode, etc. in the entire
    > place. Lots of cell phones, toys, stereo equip., DirecTV, and on and
    > on, but the closest they came to components was one of those 50-in-1
    > project kits for kids.
    >
    > I remember as a kid that you could get anything you needed for a home
    > project at RS, and if they didn't have it in stock they'd order it.
    > How sad.
    >
    > Anyway, If anyone knows of a good source for sockets, I'm still in
    > need of a 24-pin, and I'll probably need a couple 2732s while I'm at
    > it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeff
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    It's like I've been saying for a couple years. Makes me laugh when I
    hear their commercials on TV. "You've got questions? We've got dumb
    looks"!
    Incompetant and teen are Asynchronous. I said this about 6 months
    ago: They sell Cell phones. They sell TV's. They sell telephones.
    Like there's anything in there that noone else sells.
    This just gives you a taste of what employers are looking for. Who
    needs an experienced seasoned employee as opposed to a teenager with
    no knowledge. We can shape and mold the mind of the kid to our way of
    thinking (aka brainwashing) whereas the older guy is set in his ways
    and is difficult to subjugate (retrain to our way of thinking). Don't
    do what's right. Do what makes us money.
    The one thing that stands in my mind about Radio Shack 2000; Useless
    gadgets with unserviceable parts.
    They-are going down for the count.

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 20:49:26 -0400, B. White <bish500@cogeco.ca>
    wrote:

    >Radio Shack is being "rebranded" in Canada effective July 1. It has
    >been purchased by Circuit City, and will be called "The Source".
    >
    >I went into one about a week ago, looking for a Digital Multi Meter.
    >Apparently the clerk couldn't find the wire leads that went with the
    >only unit left in the store (because they're being "rebranded",
    >they're not carrying anything that has the Radio Shack name on it any
    >more, but they're not getting any stuff marked "The Source" until
    >after July 1).
    >
    >The clerk said he'd call the other store and see if they had any...I
    >told him I had just come from the other store, and they were out. He
    >insisted on calling anyway, and told me with great surprise that they
    >were indeed out. I told him I hadn't expected they would be
    >restocking in the 15 minutes it took me to drive from that store
    >across town to the one I was currently in.
    >
    >Long story short, he returned to the back room to see if he could hunt
    >the wire leads down, and I went to WalMart...found DMMs cheaper than
    >Radio Shack...I hope he's still not in there looking.
    >
    >Why am I left with the thought that minimum wage is too much for most
    >Radio Shack employees?
    >
    >Blaine.
    >
    >- - -
    >
    >>So I'm looking to do the high score save mod on a Frogger board and so
    >>I go into the local RS and ask for "a 24 pin IC socket." The 2 guys
    >>behind the counter both give me blank looks and 1 says he'll ask the
    >>manager.
    >>
    >>Manager: "You want a what, now?"
    >>Me: "A 24 pin IC socket"
    >>Manager: "Like for a cell phone?"
    >>Me: (laughing) "No, like for a circuit board."
    >>Manager: "Oh, like electronics stuff?"
    >>Me: "Yeah."
    >>Manager: "Yeah, we don't carry that kinda stuff."
    >>
    >>And he was right. A thorough search of the store revealed absolutely
    >>no electronic components. Not 1 capacitor, diode, etc. in the entire
    >>place. Lots of cell phones, toys, stereo equip., DirecTV, and on and
    >>on, but the closest they came to components was one of those 50-in-1
    >>project kits for kids.
    >>
    >>I remember as a kid that you could get anything you needed for a home
    >>project at RS, and if they didn't have it in stock they'd order it.
    >>How sad.
    >>
    >>Anyway, If anyone knows of a good source for sockets, I'm still in
    >>need of a 24-pin, and I'll probably need a couple 2732s while I'm at
    >>it.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>Jeff

    Kineplex Systems of Lima, Ohio
    http://www.kineplex.com
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Man... growing up I remember going into the stores and seeing the
    "trash-80's", the led football games, the radio kits, etc... I still
    remember asking my father to this day why anyone would buy a TV from Radio
    Shack (when they first started carying them) when you can get them cheaper
    at the store next door? Ok... so apparently management looked at the
    numbers and decided that the margins were bigger on TV's... but that was
    back before Walmart came to town (well... to *everyones* town). Now they
    can't sell tv's, they can't sell phones, they can't sell stereo's, they
    can't sell computers... The only thing that they had going for them was
    electronics (yeah, didn't have the high margin, but no one else sold the
    stuff *at all* for the most part). Now they're going to go out of
    business... well... maybe they'll put in a chinese buffet in stead, we can
    always use one more of those...

    "Zinfer" <rmassman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >>>Me: "A 24 pin IC socket"
    >>>Manager: "Like for a cell phone?"
    >>>Me: (laughing) "No, like for a circuit board."
    >>>Manager: "Oh, like electronics stuff?"
    >>>Me: "Yeah."
    >>>Manager: "Yeah, we don't carry that kinda stuff."
    >>>
    >>>And he was right. A thorough search of the store revealed absolutely
    >>>no electronic components. Not 1 capacitor, diode, etc. in the entire
    >>>place. Lots of cell phones, toys, stereo equip., DirecTV, and on and
    >>>on, but the closest they came to components was one of those 50-in-1
    >>>project kits for kids.
    >>>
    >>>I remember as a kid that you could get anything you needed for a home
    >>>project at RS, and if they didn't have it in stock they'd order it.
    >>>How sad.
    >>>
    >>>Anyway, If anyone knows of a good source for sockets, I'm still in
    >>>need of a 24-pin, and I'll probably need a couple 2732s while I'm at

  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    correct me if i am wrong - i believe that RS has been a profitable
    chain over the years. although it is irrelevant, i also laughed at
    those 'Tandy' products - the brand name is just terrible. clearly they
    must have been selling their little RC cars and pacman handheld
    imitations pretty well over the years.

    in canada, circuit city seems to have bought them out, resulting in
    them junking all sorts of electronics hardware. too bad, i enjoyed
    paying $4.99+tx for a pair of 194 lamps. the U.S. stores seem to have
    more parts, but i suspect that the electronics hardware parts and
    pieces are not long for the world there too. Harry in MTL
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Heh.. Most recently.. I got told by an older Ratshack employee,
    not one of the dumb kids, that there's no such thing as a 6pin
    circular DIN plug. Which is pretty funny considering I bought the
    last one from Rat Shack ;-) Today they're just yet another cell phone
    store and retailer of the lowest quality electronics shite from some
    sweatshop or other in China. But... they are good for hook up wire.

    - James

    ------------------------------
    JrokLand http://www.jrok.com
    ------------------------------
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Yep, always go to the manager first. He's the only one who will have the
    slightest clue.

    Some years ago when I was still living in Fort Worth (home base of Radio
    Shack, fer chrissake), my dad and I were working on his ham rig and we
    wanted to replace a vacuum tube. (Remember those? Those little glass
    multi-legged items that exploded like firecrackers when they rolled off the
    workbench?) We called the nearest RS, where we were regular customers (Dad
    had so many of those free "Battery Club" cards that he cleaned 'em out of
    batteries and probably convinced them to stop handing out free batteries!).
    Manager was out to lunch, so I talked to Duh, his assistant. Radio Shack
    used to have (perhaps they still do, I don't know) a vacuum-tube ordering
    service. But when I told this guy on the phone I was looking for a vacuum
    tube, he said, "I'm sorry, sir, we don't sell replacement parts for vacuum
    cleaners here."

    Ever want to strangle somebody over the phone?

    There are still plenty of Radio Shack stores with plenty of discrete
    electronic components available, but mostly you have to do the looking
    yourself. If anybody working behind the counter there knew anything about
    electronic components, he'd be working somewhere else.

    Fry's has a much wider selection, even lots of test equipment, but a) it's
    usually overpriced; b) you can't find anybody to help you; and c) they don't
    know squat about it.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    On Mon, 16 May 2005 10:38:10 GMT, "Matt J. McCullar"
    <mccullar@flash.net> wrote:

    >Yep, always go to the manager first. He's the only one who will have the
    >slightest clue.
    >
    >Some years ago when I was still living in Fort Worth (home base of Radio
    >Shack, fer chrissake), my dad and I were working on his ham rig and we
    >wanted to replace a vacuum tube. (Remember those? Those little glass
    >multi-legged items that exploded like firecrackers when they rolled off the
    >workbench?)

    He - Does anyone else remember back when hardware stores and even drug
    stores had the big upright "Test your vacuum tubes" center? You'd put
    your tube in the correct socket, turn a few dials, and it would tell
    you if it was good or bad. Then you'd open up the cabinet on the
    bottom and get replacements for the bad ones.

    Jeff
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    On Mon, 16 May 2005 06:34:41 -0500, Jeff Destross <news@destross.com>
    wrote:

    >He - Does anyone else remember back when hardware stores and even drug
    >stores had the big upright "Test your vacuum tubes" center? You'd put
    >your tube in the correct socket, turn a few dials, and it would tell
    >you if it was good or bad. Then you'd open up the cabinet on the
    >bottom and get replacements for the bad ones.
    >
    >Jeff

    For those of you too young to remember, go to

    http://www.tone-lizard.com/tubes.html

    and scroll down about half way to see some flyers for tube testers.

    God, Did I live in the stone age?

    Jeff
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I Hate when you go to RS and walk thought the door with your "I know
    what I'm looking for so don't bother asking me" look on your face....
    as your trying to dodge all the remote control cars spread out across
    the floor.... a sales clear manages to get in front of you only a few
    feet away from the parts draws and asks "Can I help you find anything
    today?"

    Since you were dumb enough to ask.... I do need your help!

    Me: "I need a 3 Pin Molex Connector"
    Employee 1: "UHHhhhmmmm..... We don't carry those"
    Me: "You did."
    Employee 1: "UHHHhhmmmm.... Hey Todd! Maldrex connectors!?"
    Employee 2: "Malfrix connectors? What are they?"
    Me: "(Sigh) They are plastic connectors with metal pins, you crimp the
    wires on the metal pins."
    Employee 2: "We don't carry them."
    Me: "You did, I bought some here a few weeks ago."
    Employee 2: "We must be out."
    Me: "If you don't know where they are or what they are how do you know
    your out."
    Employee 1: ......
    Employee 2: ......
    Me (opens draw takes out connectors): "here they are... ohhhh! You guys
    call them Molded Nylon Connectors." Walks to register....
    Employee 1: "Is that all?"
    Me: "Yes"
    Employee 1: "Do you need batteries with this?"
    Me: "No"
    Employee 1: Can I get you phone number?
    Me: "No, it's unlisted"
    Employee 1: We don't sell it we just use it to send out catalogs"
    Me: "I'm all set."
    Employee 1: "How is your Cell Phone Service?"
    Me. "Fine"
    Employee 1: "How many minutes do you get?"
    Me. "I have no idea..."
    Employee 1: "What if we could make you a better deal?"
    Me: "NO, I would have to pay an early termination fee...."
    Employee 1: "It might be worth it."
    Me: I'm All Set!"
    Long Pause....
    Employee 1: "How about that Direct TV?"
    Me: "Your kidding right!?

    Yes, as my wife as my witness, that's how one conversation went once.
    At least when you go to McDonalds if they ask it you would like fries
    with that and you say no, they don't try to sell you a drink, salad,
    and desert!

    And Yes, I remember the tube tester in stores.... my farther owns one
    now. And the Local Electronics Shop Still has one (and a decent stock
    of tubes as well)

    ~Jeff
    www.shootagainamusements.com
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    ROTF Thanks for that! Made my day! :-)

    The same guys must be working at the RS around my corner! It's funny,
    their whole marketing strategy is based on being "the tech guy
    gnostics", yet when you ask them for patch cables, "Oh we don't carry
    Duck Tape."

    Huh?!??

    - Craig

    Redfive05 wrote:
    > I Hate when you go to RS and walk thought the door with your "I know
    > what I'm looking for so don't bother asking me" look on your face....
    > as your trying to dodge all the remote control cars spread out across
    > the floor.... a sales clear manages to get in front of you only a few
    > feet away from the parts draws and asks "Can I help you find anything
    > today?"
    >
    > Since you were dumb enough to ask.... I do need your help!
    >
    > Me: "I need a 3 Pin Molex Connector"
    > Employee 1: "UHHhhhmmmm..... We don't carry those"
    > Me: "You did."
    > Employee 1: "UHHHhhmmmm.... Hey Todd! Maldrex connectors!?"
    > Employee 2: "Malfrix connectors? What are they?"
    > Me: "(Sigh) They are plastic connectors with metal pins, you crimp
    the
    > wires on the metal pins."
    > Employee 2: "We don't carry them."
    > Me: "You did, I bought some here a few weeks ago."
    > Employee 2: "We must be out."
    > Me: "If you don't know where they are or what they are how do you
    know
    > your out."
    > Employee 1: ......
    > Employee 2: ......
    > Me (opens draw takes out connectors): "here they are... ohhhh! You
    guys
    > call them Molded Nylon Connectors." Walks to register....
    > Employee 1: "Is that all?"
    > Me: "Yes"
    > Employee 1: "Do you need batteries with this?"
    > Me: "No"
    > Employee 1: Can I get you phone number?
    > Me: "No, it's unlisted"
    > Employee 1: We don't sell it we just use it to send out catalogs"
    > Me: "I'm all set."
    > Employee 1: "How is your Cell Phone Service?"
    > Me. "Fine"
    > Employee 1: "How many minutes do you get?"
    > Me. "I have no idea..."
    > Employee 1: "What if we could make you a better deal?"
    > Me: "NO, I would have to pay an early termination fee...."
    > Employee 1: "It might be worth it."
    > Me: I'm All Set!"
    > Long Pause....
    > Employee 1: "How about that Direct TV?"
    > Me: "Your kidding right!?
    >
    > Yes, as my wife as my witness, that's how one conversation went once.
    > At least when you go to McDonalds if they ask it you would like fries
    > with that and you say no, they don't try to sell you a drink, salad,
    > and desert!
    >
    > And Yes, I remember the tube tester in stores.... my farther owns one
    > now. And the Local Electronics Shop Still has one (and a decent stock
    > of tubes as well)
    >
    > ~Jeff
    > www.shootagainamusements.com
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Personally I would be surprised if radio shack stayed in business much
    longer. Is there really still a need for them? They must've decided
    they can't make any money off of individual electronic components any
    more (which doesn't surprise me!) so they decided to push cell phones,
    PCs, satellite TV, and kid's battery operated toys. The problem is,
    you can get all of those things at major department stores, toy stores,
    or even the corner party store.

    As for the sales clerks, what would you expect. The company's mission
    is no longer to sell electronic parts, so why would they waste their
    time training or hiring electronics techs. My guess is whatever
    trainig they get, is based on selling cellphones, PCs, satellite TV,
    and kid's toys!
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    This is just a thought but if your hard up for parts maybe try a local
    fleamarket. I went to the local flea yesterday and some of the stands had
    an awful lot of electronic parts. I doubt its the same in all area's but it
    might be worth a shot and if a person is selling the stuff they might have a
    clue what they are doing better than a rat shack employee.

    If you think rat shack is bad you should try going to EB games or Gamestop
    and asking a question about console games, most of the time they dont even
    know what you are talking about and second of all they try to push a million
    warranties on you. And if you ask for something and they dont have it they
    also try to push the most overpriced product on you, heh. I actually had
    someone there tell me once that "sega does not make video games anymore", i
    wanted to strangle the employee bad. The bad thing is Eb games and Gamestop
    are supposed to be the stores where you go to get the right game as a gift
    for someone, or where you go if you need purchasing advice on console games,
    however the stores offer everything but what they are supposed to.

    --
    Email me at "iride4899yahoo.com" (insert "@" before yahoo to reply) , my box
    is always opened to questions.

    This is the second time that RADIO SHACK has Rebranded. Do any of your young
    folk remember the first product line name that Radio Shack used?
    (Insert Double Jeopardy Sound track here)

    "B. White" <bish500@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    > Radio Shack is being "rebranded" in Canada effective July 1. It has
    > been purchased by Circuit City, and will be called "The Source".
    >
    > I went into one about a week ago, looking for a Digital Multi Meter.
    > Apparently the clerk couldn't find the wire leads that went with the
    > only unit left in the store (because they're being "rebranded",
    > they're not carrying anything that has the Radio Shack name on it any
    > more, but they're not getting any stuff marked "The Source" until
    > after July 1).
    >
    > The clerk said he'd call the other store and see if they had any...I
    > told him I had just come from the other store, and they were out. He
    > insisted on calling anyway, and told me with great surprise that they
    > were indeed out. I told him I hadn't expected they would be
    > restocking in the 15 minutes it took me to drive from that store
    > across town to the one I was currently in.
    >
    > Long story short, he returned to the back room to see if he could hunt
    > the wire leads down, and I went to WalMart...found DMMs cheaper than
    > Radio Shack...I hope he's still not in there looking.
    >
    > Why am I left with the thought that minimum wage is too much for most
    > Radio Shack employees?
    >
    > Blaine.
    >
    > - - -
    >
    >>So I'm looking to do the high score save mod on a Frogger board and so
    >>I go into the local RS and ask for "a 24 pin IC socket." The 2 guys
    >>behind the counter both give me blank looks and 1 says he'll ask the
    >>manager.
    >>
    >>Manager: "You want a what, now?"
    >>Me: "A 24 pin IC socket"
    >>Manager: "Like for a cell phone?"
    >>Me: (laughing) "No, like for a circuit board."
    >>Manager: "Oh, like electronics stuff?"
    >>Me: "Yeah."
    >>Manager: "Yeah, we don't carry that kinda stuff."
    >>
    >>And he was right. A thorough search of the store revealed absolutely
    >>no electronic components. Not 1 capacitor, diode, etc. in the entire
    >>place. Lots of cell phones, toys, stereo equip., DirecTV, and on and
    >>on, but the closest they came to components was one of those 50-in-1
    >>project kits for kids.
    >>
    >>I remember as a kid that you could get anything you needed for a home
    >>project at RS, and if they didn't have it in stock they'd order it.
    >>How sad.
    >>
    >>Anyway, If anyone knows of a good source for sockets, I'm still in
    >>need of a 24-pin, and I'll probably need a couple 2732s while I'm at
    >>it.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>Jeff

  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Tandy?

    -Tom

    "Steve Lewinsky" <coinop@rogers.com> wrote in

    > This is the second time that RADIO SHACK has Rebranded. Do any of your
    > young folk remember the first product line name that Radio Shack used?
    > (Insert Double Jeopardy Sound track here)
    >

    > "B. White" <bish500@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
    >> Radio Shack is being "rebranded" in Canada effective July 1. It has
    >> been purchased by Circuit City, and will be called "The Source".
    >>
    >> I went into one about a week ago, looking for a Digital Multi Meter.
    >> Apparently the clerk couldn't find the wire leads that went with the
    >> only unit left in the store (because they're being "rebranded",
    >> they're not carrying anything that has the Radio Shack name on it any
    >> more, but they're not getting any stuff marked "The Source" until
    >> after July 1).
    >>
    >> The clerk said he'd call the other store and see if they had any...I
    >> told him I had just come from the other store, and they were out. He
    >> insisted on calling anyway, and told me with great surprise that they
    >> were indeed out. I told him I hadn't expected they would be
    >> restocking in the 15 minutes it took me to drive from that store
    >> across town to the one I was currently in.
    >>
    >> Long story short, he returned to the back room to see if he could
    >> hunt the wire leads down, and I went to WalMart...found DMMs cheaper
    >> than Radio Shack...I hope he's still not in there looking.
    >>
    >> Why am I left with the thought that minimum wage is too much for most
    >> Radio Shack employees?
    >>
    >> Blaine.
    >>
    >> - - -
    >>
    >>>So I'm looking to do the high score save mod on a Frogger board and
    >>>so I go into the local RS and ask for "a 24 pin IC socket." The 2
    >>>guys behind the counter both give me blank looks and 1 says he'll ask
    >>>the manager.
    >>>
    >>>Manager: "You want a what, now?"
    >>>Me: "A 24 pin IC socket"
    >>>Manager: "Like for a cell phone?"
    >>>Me: (laughing) "No, like for a circuit board."
    >>>Manager: "Oh, like electronics stuff?"
    >>>Me: "Yeah."
    >>>Manager: "Yeah, we don't carry that kinda stuff."
    >>>
    >>>And he was right. A thorough search of the store revealed absolutely
    >>>no electronic components. Not 1 capacitor, diode, etc. in the entire
    >>>place. Lots of cell phones, toys, stereo equip., DirecTV, and on and
    >>>on, but the closest they came to components was one of those 50-in-1
    >>>project kits for kids.
    >>>
    >>>I remember as a kid that you could get anything you needed for a home
    >>>project at RS, and if they didn't have it in stock they'd order it.
    >>>How sad.
    >>>
    >>>Anyway, If anyone knows of a good source for sockets, I'm still in
    >>>need of a 24-pin, and I'll probably need a couple 2732s while I'm at
    >>>it.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>
    >>>Jeff

  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Heh....that was a great story.

    I once had to make several oddball trips to the same Rat Shack in the
    same day, and they wanted my damn address EACH TIME for like $2 trips.

    Frys can be just a goofy, though. I once walked into one with a
    soundboard from a game for quick reference for the parts I needed. The
    lady at the door actually had to check it in so that "they don't think
    you took it" (I guess the fact that it said Copyright 1983 Gottlieb
    wasn't a hint it wasn't theirs) and the guy near the components
    wouldn't help me because "that's too old to fix. Do you want anything
    to upgrade your computer today?"
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    LMFAO!

    ok, that made my day!

    I hate it even worse when I actually DO make it to the drawer (when it was
    still stocked...) and am in the process of trying to find what I want (it's
    not like the part is actually going to be in the correct bin...) when one of
    the sales guys comes over and askes if I need any help... My usual response
    is to find something esoteric (I find triacs to work great, mainly because
    fo the silly name) and ask the guy if he knows what it's used for. When he
    responds that he doesn't, I respond that *I* do and just keep looking for my
    part. I've found that they give up after that...

    Now... it REALLY goes against my grain to be rude to sales people, but I
    have YET to find one working there that has taken the time to even look at
    the parts in the drawer and see what they have, let alone understand what
    the parts do. Maybe they're just bored? The thing is, when I go to a RS to
    buy something it's because I'm hot and heavy into it and want to keep
    working (otherwise I'd just order from Bob or arcadeshop...), the LAST thing
    I want to have to do is answer "what are you going to use it for?",
    especially when the kid wouldn't know if I told him, so the question is
    useless (yes, they're probably trained to ask it, but sigh...)

    "Redfive05" <redfive05@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I Hate when you go to RS and walk thought the door with your "I know
    > what I'm looking for so don't bother asking me" look on your face....
    > as your trying to dodge all the remote control cars spread out across
    > the floor.... a sales clear manages to get in front of you only a few
    > feet away from the parts draws and asks "Can I help you find anything
    > today?"
    >
    > Since you were dumb enough to ask.... I do need your help!
    >
    > Me: "I need a 3 Pin Molex Connector"
    > Employee 1: "UHHhhhmmmm..... We don't carry those"
    > Me: "You did."
    > Employee 1: "UHHHhhmmmm.... Hey Todd! Maldrex connectors!?"
    > Employee 2: "Malfrix connectors? What are they?"
    > Me: "(Sigh) They are plastic connectors with metal pins, you crimp the
    > wires on the metal pins."
    > Employee 2: "We don't carry them."
    > Me: "You did, I bought some here a few weeks ago."
    > Employee 2: "We must be out."
    > Me: "If you don't know where they are or what they are how do you know
    > your out."
    > Employee 1: ......
    > Employee 2: ......
    > Me (opens draw takes out connectors): "here they are... ohhhh! You guys
    > call them Molded Nylon Connectors." Walks to register....
    > Employee 1: "Is that all?"
    > Me: "Yes"
    > Employee 1: "Do you need batteries with this?"
    > Me: "No"
    > Employee 1: Can I get you phone number?
    > Me: "No, it's unlisted"
    > Employee 1: We don't sell it we just use it to send out catalogs"
    > Me: "I'm all set."
    > Employee 1: "How is your Cell Phone Service?"
    > Me. "Fine"
    > Employee 1: "How many minutes do you get?"
    > Me. "I have no idea..."
    > Employee 1: "What if we could make you a better deal?"
    > Me: "NO, I would have to pay an early termination fee...."
    > Employee 1: "It might be worth it."
    > Me: I'm All Set!"
    > Long Pause....
    > Employee 1: "How about that Direct TV?"
    > Me: "Your kidding right!?
    >
    > Yes, as my wife as my witness, that's how one conversation went once.
    > At least when you go to McDonalds if they ask it you would like fries
    > with that and you say no, they don't try to sell you a drink, salad,
    > and desert!
    >
    > And Yes, I remember the tube tester in stores.... my farther owns one
    > now. And the Local Electronics Shop Still has one (and a decent stock
    > of tubes as well)
    >
    > ~Jeff
    > www.shootagainamusements.com

  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    No isn't this nice... we're all slamming Radio Shack instead of each other!

    "SFS" <sfs409@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > So I'm looking to do the high score save mod on a Frogger board and so
    > I go into the local RS and ask for "a 24 pin IC socket." The 2 guys
    > behind the counter both give me blank looks and 1 says he'll ask the
    > manager.
    >
    > Manager: "You want a what, now?"
    > Me: "A 24 pin IC socket"
    > Manager: "Like for a cell phone?"
    > Me: (laughing) "No, like for a circuit board."
    > Manager: "Oh, like electronics stuff?"
    > Me: "Yeah."
    > Manager: "Yeah, we don't carry that kinda stuff."
    >
    > And he was right. A thorough search of the store revealed absolutely
    > no electronic components. Not 1 capacitor, diode, etc. in the entire
    > place. Lots of cell phones, toys, stereo equip., DirecTV, and on and
    > on, but the closest they came to components was one of those 50-in-1
    > project kits for kids.
    >
    > I remember as a kid that you could get anything you needed for a home
    > project at RS, and if they didn't have it in stock they'd order it.
    > How sad.
    >
    > Anyway, If anyone knows of a good source for sockets, I'm still in
    > need of a 24-pin, and I'll probably need a couple 2732s while I'm at
    > it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeff
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    On Mon, 16 May 2005 20:10:38 GMT, "Steve Muccione"
    <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote:

    >No isn't this nice... we're all slamming Radio Shack instead of each other!

    All the great leaders know it... Nothing unifies a people like finding
    a common enemy!

    =P

    Jeff
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    "Jeff Destross" <news@destross.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 16 May 2005 10:38:10 GMT, "Matt J. McCullar"
    > <mccullar@flash.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Yep, always go to the manager first. He's the only one who will have the
    > >slightest clue.
    > >
    > >Some years ago when I was still living in Fort Worth (home base of Radio
    > >Shack, fer chrissake), my dad and I were working on his ham rig and we
    > >wanted to replace a vacuum tube. (Remember those? Those little glass
    > >multi-legged items that exploded like firecrackers when they rolled off
    the
    > >workbench?)
    >
    > He - Does anyone else remember back when hardware stores and even drug
    > stores had the big upright "Test your vacuum tubes" center? You'd put
    > your tube in the correct socket, turn a few dials, and it would tell
    > you if it was good or bad. Then you'd open up the cabinet on the
    > bottom and get replacements for the bad ones.
    >
    > Jeff

    now your showing your age :) What about Radium Water ??
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    "Steve Lewinsky" <coinop@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > This is the second time that RADIO SHACK has Rebranded. Do any of your
    young
    > folk remember the first product line name that Radio Shack used?
    > (Insert Double Jeopardy Sound track here)

    Realistic ?

    Dane.
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Oh GOD you've gotten that question too? WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO USE IT
    FOR? Well what in God's name does that have to do with anything? You
    wouldn't understand it even if I told you. It's a capacitor. I'm
    going to shove it up my ass and see what kind of voltage it can
    collect over a period of time. Then I want to discharge the voltage
    when I fart and measure the current. Can you help me with the probes
    of the multimeter? Oh a multimeter? It's used to probe the voltage
    coming out of my ass.

    On Mon, 16 May 2005 20:09:51 GMT, "Steve Muccione"
> [...]

    >> Employee 1: "How is your Cell Phone Service?"
    >> Me. "Fine"
    >> Employee 1: "How many minutes do you get?"
    >> Me. "I have no idea..."
    >> Employee 1: "What if we could make you a better deal?"
    >> Me: "NO, I would have to pay an early termination fee...."
    >> Employee 1: "It might be worth it."
    >> Me: I'm All Set!"
    >> Long Pause....
    >> Employee 1: "How about that Direct TV?"
    >> Me: "Your kidding right!?
    >>
    >> Yes, as my wife as my witness, that's how one conversation went once.
    >> At least when you go to McDonalds if they ask it you would like fries
    >> with that and you say no, they don't try to sell you a drink, salad,
    >> and desert!
    >>
    >> And Yes, I remember the tube tester in stores.... my farther owns one
    >> now. And the Local Electronics Shop Still has one (and a decent stock

  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Wasn't Archer Radio Shacks first line of products?

    Never fails that when I'm buying parts from there the clerk will ask
    "What you building?"
    I always say I'm not Building anything; I'm repairing an arcade
    machine.... that's where you can see almost all thought leave their
    heads. Every now and then they might try and continue the conversation
    by saying "Like a Pac Man Machine"
    I always say "Yes Like a Pac Man Machine."

    Some day I'm going to say I'm building a Bomb.... just to see what
    happens next.

    ~Jeff
    www.shootagainamusements.com
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I hope I'm sorely mistaken about this. But doesnt' the current state
    of Radio Shack reflect the trend AWAY from people experimenting with
    electronics? How many people buy electronic components for fun and
    knowledge anymore? I dare say is it is very few. Not enough to keep a
    retail chain like Radio Shack going.

    Oh, and what is Frys? We don't have them here in MI!
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I ran a Radio Shack in 1969/1970 when they were still coming out of the
    Allied Radio Shack situation, and we had full access to the Allied catalog
    (like Mouser but with the addition of stereo ham and other equipment). Hell
    you could build a missile guidance system from that thing, and we always had
    a tech of some sort or serious hobbyist on staff at most stores that could
    intelligently answer most any question, or knew what book to sell the
    customer to find the answer.

    --
    Art
    "SFS" <sfs409@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > So I'm looking to do the high score save mod on a Frogger board and so
    > I go into the local RS and ask for "a 24 pin IC socket." The 2 guys
    > behind the counter both give me blank looks and 1 says he'll ask the
    > manager.
    >
    > Manager: "You want a what, now?"
    > Me: "A 24 pin IC socket"
    > Manager: "Like for a cell phone?"
    > Me: (laughing) "No, like for a circuit board."
    > Manager: "Oh, like electronics stuff?"
    > Me: "Yeah."
    > Manager: "Yeah, we don't carry that kinda stuff."
    >
    > And he was right. A thorough search of the store revealed absolutely
    > no electronic components. Not 1 capacitor, diode, etc. in the entire
    > place. Lots of cell phones, toys, stereo equip., DirecTV, and on and
    > on, but the closest they came to components was one of those 50-in-1
    > project kits for kids.
    >
    > I remember as a kid that you could get anything you needed for a home
    > project at RS, and if they didn't have it in stock they'd order it.
    > How sad.
    >
    > Anyway, If anyone knows of a good source for sockets, I'm still in
    > need of a 24-pin, and I'll probably need a couple 2732s while I'm at
    > it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeff
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    On 22 May 2005 07:15:00 -0700, micrologix1500@yahoo.com wrote:

    >I hope I'm sorely mistaken about this. But doesnt' the current state
    >of Radio Shack reflect the trend AWAY from people experimenting with
    >electronics? How many people buy electronic components for fun and
    >knowledge anymore? I dare say is it is very few. Not enough to keep a
    >retail chain like Radio Shack going.

    You've hit the nail on the head with that. Not near as many people fiddle with
    this stuff for fun. Why build something when you can just buy a prepackaged one
    for a few bucks? Heaven forbid you enjoy the sense of accomplishment from
    having achieved something other than spending money. : ) Mind you this is core
    to our chosen hobbies, most of us do this for the satisfaction of not only
    playing the games, but repairing and restoring the games of our childhoods.

    >Oh, and what is Frys? We don't have them here in MI!

    Fry's is sort of what Radio Shack "could have been" in the early 80's - if you
    mega-sized them. While it's obvious their main sellers are TV's and related
    gear, stereos, some appliances, DVD's, CD's, computers and upgrades.. they also
    have probably the best electronics component & supply selection you're going to
    see in a store like this. They definitely fall short of the stock that a "real"
    electronics supply would have, but it's hard to argue with being able to walk in
    and find stuff like the nice rubber-style heat shrink tube in all the sizes and
    a good stock of it, a whole wall of fuses, a good range of meters and test
    instruments (good quality, Fluke etc.), and more. Their selection is pretty
    damn good - considering it's obviously not their main focus. I sure miss the
    one in Houston since I've moved away. They were only a couple miles from me.

    Richard
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Art Mallet - Artfromny - formerly A218@aol.com <artgames@nycap.rr.com> wrote:

    : you could build a missile guidance system from that thing, and we always had
    : a tech of some sort or serious hobbyist on staff at most stores that could
    : intelligently answer most any question, or knew what book to sell the
    : customer to find the answer.

    Thanks for keeping this going Art. I've been thinking about this but was hesitant
    to restart the thread.

    If a 'younger' person is telling us about working at RS and selling cell
    phones -- you don't know the RS we remember. I was a kid in the
    80's, and realize there are generations before me with different memories
    again. For me, Radio Shack was the story in the mall the geeks would hang
    out it (and the book store). I'll bet for some of us there is still
    a vestigial feeling of them ruining 'our' store -- like being run out of your
    favorite bar.

    There was a culture involved. This may give an idea:

    http://www.westnet.com/~chris/ValleyGuy.mp3

    http://www.atarimagazines.com/whizkids/

    Usually you could get help along the same lines as at a hardware store: Walk
    in with 2 things and ask how to connect the, fix them, make them better, and
    actually get help.

    I know RS had at least had techs to make their computers, I always assumed
    at least some of their other stuff was designed in-house and not just
    rebranded. For a number of years in the 80s many Radio Shacks also were
    computer centers, with fairly extensive staffs designed to get small
    businesses going with office computers.

    There was also a feeling that if you bought something Radio Shack, you knew
    you could always get it serviced wherever you were, because there was one in
    every town.

    Even as recently as the late 90's, it looked like RS was trying to revive
    itself on the tech side with the Tech America brand, the whole catalog sales
    parts. I bought a Tech America soldering station because of years of
    experience of RS standing behind there stuff.

    That soldering station lasted about 4 years, RS told me it was discontinued,
    end of story. Evidently they discontinued their repair department too.

    This is sort of rambling, but aside from parts, RS was also a service
    store. It really seems they have removed everything that set them apart,
    if you were a tech or not. No service, higher prices -- why should you go
    there rather than a Best Buy, or order online ?

    And it is sad.

    http://www.westnet.com/
  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    --
    Art
    "Christopher X. Candreva" <chris@westnet.com> wrote in message

    > I know RS had at least had techs to make their computers,
    The original computers were sourced from some other company, I forget which
    at the moment.

    I always assumed
    > at least some of their other stuff was designed in-house and not just
    > rebranded.

    RS main focus was profit margins and they realized that if they made their
    own unique stuff, they could set the price without fear of comparison
    shopping

    > There was also a feeling that if you bought something Radio Shack, you
    > knew
    > you could always get it serviced wherever you were, because there was one
    > in
    > every town.

    Yeah, we had a little repair shop in the back room, would do quickie solder
    jobs, restring dial cords (now you know how old I am :) and change tubes
    in-store, and sent the hard jobs out to a regional repair depot

  34. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    There actually were a number of stores like this that I remember for
    electronics parts. Along with RS, we had Olsen's, Heathkit, and I'm sure
    more. RS lasted the longest with the best supply and most locations. They
    really had no choice but to re-invent themselves with all those throw-away
    electronics being the only kind sold anymore. RS is now advertising heavily
    that they sell printer ink and paper! To me that seems like the ultimate
    deep-end. How much more un-electronic oriented can you get than printer
    paper? I understand the cell phones, DirecTV, remote control toys, and
    batteries. I wouldn't buy those things from there (except maybe
    batteries--but we have Batteries Plus, too, which is a store that sells only
    batteries!), but at least those items fits with the RS electronics heritage.
    The marketing angle for all of these things--incl. the paper--is that they
    have so many locations you can just go "around the corner" to get what you
    need, and get in and out quickly from their small store. I'm not sure if
    that will work, though.

    Dane.
  35. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Ive noticed my local RS is a bad slide lately. Looks like the $$ is in
    pushing cell phones and RC toys. Even worse the "real" electronics
    supply place dropped two thirds of NTE numbers.
  36. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    "Gary Vitagliano" <v-dog@webtv.net> wrote in message
    > Ive noticed my local RS is a bad slide lately. Looks like the $$ is in
    > pushing cell phones and RC toys. Even worse the "real" electronics
    > supply place dropped two thirds of NTE numbers.

    I forgot to talk about that in my post... Why do you think RS doesn't even
    let you order the parts via catalog anymore? Sure the real hobbyists know
    about DigiKey, et. al., but many others don't. I would think having a
    catalog available--even online--would pay for itself because the items are
    high margin. Plus RS would undoubtedly have a minimum order and a handling
    fee, etc.
  37. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Art Mallet - Artfromny - formerly A218@aol.com <artgames@nycap.rr.com> wrote:

    : The original computers were sourced from some other company, I forget which
    : at the moment.

    The TRS-80 I, II, III etc ? Wow, that's disappointing. I remember reading
    supposed interviews with the guys who designed them, and they were presented
    as working for Tandy directly.

    http://www.westnet.com/

Video Games