Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

I'm working on a dell xp pro machine with the following error upon restarting:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I went into the recovery console off a xp pro disk (was not installed on the
hard drive) and replaced the c:\windows\system32\config\system file with the
c:\windows\repair\system.bak file (.bak extension removed).

I used the "system.bak" file because, in the \repair folder, a "system" file
did not exist (contrary to ms kb artical 307545). I have other dells in the
office and tried to copy the "system" file onto a cd for transfer onto the
flawed computer (too large for a floppy), but it's useless because the
recovery console is running from an xp disk in the only cd drive.

Upon exiting, windows now boots until it reaches the black microsoft windows
xp screen, but never makes it any further (in normal mode). In safe mode,
windows boots until it gets to a list of drivers and then locks up.

I tried going back into the recovery console, and it's now asking for a
password, which of course is invalid. I looked up fixes for this problem and
they all require going into windows. I also noted that it may be possible to
work around the password if you boot from a windows 2000 cd.

I would greatly appreciate any advice, including opening the window and
throwing the thing onto the street.

Thanks

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

There's probably no recourse except to reinstall Windows. You can try it
as an in place repair first, though that is likely to fail due to the extent
of registry issues. You can use an CP Pro CD from any of your Dells
though it must be at a matching service pack level.

A few other comments:

- The kind of registry damage you encountered is often caused by a hard disk
problem. Normally I would recommend running chkdsk /r from Recovery Console
before the reinstallation. Since you're locked out, I would at least run it
after.
- The procedure in KB 307545 is worth a try but often fails for a number of
reasons.
- Copying the system file from another computer is not a viable idea. The
registry data would not be consistent with your computer.
- re. the Recovery Console lockout - KB 307545 warns " Do not use the
procedure that is described in this article if your computer has an
OEM-installed operating system. The system hive on OEM installations creates
passwords and user accounts that did not exist previously. If you use the
procedure that is described in this article, you may not be able to log back
into the recovery console to restore the original registry hives.

There are ways to access your hard drive (slaving in another PC, Knoppix
boot CD, etc.) but there's very little chance of a repair at this point by
doing so.
--

"Tony" <Tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm working on a dell xp pro machine with the following error upon
> restarting:
>
> Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or
> corrupt:
> \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
>
> I went into the recovery console off a xp pro disk (was not installed on
> the
> hard drive) and replaced the c:\windows\system32\config\system file with
> the
> c:\windows\repair\system.bak file (.bak extension removed).
>
> I used the "system.bak" file because, in the \repair folder, a "system"
> file
> did not exist (contrary to ms kb artical 307545). I have other dells in
> the
> office and tried to copy the "system" file onto a cd for transfer onto the
> flawed computer (too large for a floppy), but it's useless because the
> recovery console is running from an xp disk in the only cd drive.
>
> Upon exiting, windows now boots until it reaches the black microsoft
> windows
> xp screen, but never makes it any further (in normal mode). In safe mode,
> windows boots until it gets to a list of drivers and then locks up.
>
> I tried going back into the recovery console, and it's now asking for a
> password, which of course is invalid. I looked up fixes for this problem
> and
> they all require going into windows. I also noted that it may be possible
> work around the password if you boot from a windows 2000 cd.
>
> I would greatly appreciate any advice, including opening the window and
> throwing the thing onto the street.
>
> Thanks

Tony, take a look here. I think you have more options in the R.C if
you use a Win2k CD.
http://www.pcsupport.dk/support/corruptionintheregistry.html