windows xp shutdown - remote procedure call (rpc) problem

i have a sonylaptop with windows xp pro sp2 and auto update enable
it means that i have the latest patches and almost up to date system and
norton antivirus 2003 (also up to date)
it's about 2-3 days that my system shows a message about windows will
shutdown in 60sec, and starting a countdown. i learned to stop this by
"shutdown -a" but i can't solve the problem. my norton antivirus 2003 finds
no virus. also i used fixblast and again nothing! i tried to use system
restore and i can't , cause the system restore doesn't run! also i can't
connect to internet in win xp cause dial process doesn't run too. right now i
installed win 2000 on another partition and use that to solve the problem.
so i have to question:
1- how i can solve this strange problem?
2- i have a backup file of my system state created by windows backup
program, is it possible to restore my system by this file? (note: i can't run
backup program from win xp too! it makes an error in the last step of
restoring my backup file, also when i restore my system using backup program
from win 200 then i can't start my system with win xp!)
regards
Reza
1 answer Last reply
More about windows shutdown remote procedure call problem

    http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.mspx
    Blaster Worm FAQ

    or
    Sasser:
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.mspx

    "Reza Behnood" <Reza Behnood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i have a sonylaptop with windows xp pro sp2 and auto update enable
    > it means that i have the latest patches and almost up to date system and
    > norton antivirus 2003 (also up to date)
    > it's about 2-3 days that my system shows a message about windows will
    > shutdown in 60sec, and starting a countdown. i learned to stop this by
    > "shutdown -a" but i can't solve the problem. my norton antivirus 2003 finds
    > no virus. also i used fixblast and again nothing! i tried to use system
    > restore and i can't , cause the system restore doesn't run! also i can't
    > connect to internet in win xp cause dial process doesn't run too. right now i
    > installed win 2000 on another partition and use that to solve the problem.
    > so i have to question:
    > 1- how i can solve this strange problem?
    > 2- i have a backup file of my system state created by windows backup
    > program, is it possible to restore my system by this file? (note: i can't run
    > backup program from win xp too! it makes an error in the last step of
    > restoring my backup file, also when i restore my system using backup program
    > from win 200 then i can't start my system with win xp!)
    > regards
    > Reza

Shutdown Windows XP