PCI slots and changing specs

The company I work for sells turn-key digital imaging systems hosted
by a PC running Windows XP. We need a Dell system with a minimum spec
which includes at least n PCI slots, or for example, 1 64 Bit PCI and
2 x 32 bit slots. What we are finding is not all Dell systems specify
the number and type of PCI slots, and a particular machine with 3
slots today is not guaranteed to have 3 slots in the future because
Dell often switches motherboards within a product line. Most users are
more interested in CPU speed, memory etc. but number and type of PCI
slots is important for some users. I have tried calling Dell and
speaking to the CSR but all I get is the "Go check the website"
runaround.

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:00:54 -0800, Code4u wrote:

> The company I work for sells turn-key digital imaging systems hosted
> by a PC running Windows XP. We need a Dell system with a minimum spec
> which includes at least n PCI slots, or for example, 1 64 Bit PCI and
> 2 x 32 bit slots. What we are finding is not all Dell systems specify
> the number and type of PCI slots, and a particular machine with 3
> slots today is not guaranteed to have 3 slots in the future because
> Dell often switches motherboards within a product line. Most users are
> more interested in CPU speed, memory etc. but number and type of PCI
> slots is important for some users. I have tried calling Dell and
> speaking to the CSR but all I get is the "Go check the website"
> runaround.

If your solution is dependent on specific items, you are not going to find
a large vendor (unless you place large orders) that will accommodate your
needs. What you need to do is find a smaller vendor that has a long
history and can meet your requirements for specifics.

Your other option is to buy systems with a motherboard that you specify
yourself, but MB's have a sales life cycle of two years on average.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

I've found Dell to be remarkably consistent in its use of the same model of
motherboard in a given model. In other words, if Dell changes the model, then
the motherboard is different. For example, the Dell Dimension 2300, 2350, and
2400 are all microATX systems with different motherboards. Likewise, the
Precision 330, 340, 350, 360, 370 all have different motherboards in each of hte
models.

Yes, Dell switches motherboards within a product line. Exactly. But the change
of model number lets you know.

Frankly, if you want control over numbers of slots in the motherboards used in
systems that drive your company's product, the only way you will get it is to
specify the systems yourself and either assemble or have assembled your own
white box systems. You will also have to be prepared to make a switch to a
newer version of motherboard when the mobo mfr stops manufacturing the one
you've selected. Unless your build volumes are small and predictable, it makes
ZERO economic sense to stockpile a number of identical motherboards in
anticipation of a build cycle.

Right now is a tricky time to be building computers because Intel is pushing and
shoving the industry away from the ATX form factor that has served well for
about 8 years and to the BTX form factor, a whole new layout in motherboard and
chassis design. So if you pick ATX now, you will have a major transition to
make. On the other hand, BTX may not be ready for prime time yet, just like all
hardware early in a life cycle... Ben Myers