performance problems

my computer is a p4 2.66 ghz 256 mb and recently it has been running like a
100 mhz computer...i tried auto restore to before i first noticed the problem
but it has not workd...when i press ctl+alt+delete to check performance it
says cpu usage is at 99%-100%. Even though i am only tryng to open a music
file or click on a folder...the internet is working fine and i have no
trouble browsing at regular speed but everything else is very slow. I tried
antivirus(AVG 7), 2 anti spywares, (yahoo and ad-aware se) and even did a
disk defrag but still no luck...what could possibly be wrong?

tester

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

You say CPU usage is at 99-100%, go to processes, what is taking up all that
CPU usage? Is it just 1 thing taking all that? Is it explorer.exe taking
99-100%? or a different .exe, etc?

"steve123321" <steve123321@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my computer is a p4 2.66 ghz 256 mb and recently it has been running like
> 100 mhz computer...i tried auto restore to before i first noticed the
> problem
> but it has not workd...when i press ctl+alt+delete to check performance it
> says cpu usage is at 99%-100%. Even though i am only tryng to open a music
> file or click on a folder...the internet is working fine and i have no
> trouble browsing at regular speed but everything else is very slow. I
> tried
> antivirus(AVG 7), 2 anti spywares, (yahoo and ad-aware se) and even did a
> disk defrag but still no luck...what could possibly be wrong?

Steve, do a google search for Spy Subract, Spyware Sweeper and
Microsoft Anti-spyware Beta. Use all three
Also, write down the Processes/s that are using 99%. If it's System
Idle that's Ok. Go to Trend Micro and do a
online virus scan of your system and www.pcpitstop.com is a good
resource.
"steve123321" <steve123321@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my computer is a p4 2.66 ghz 256 mb and recently it has been running like
> 100 mhz computer...i tried auto restore to before i first noticed the
> problem
> but it has not workd...when i press ctl+alt+delete to check performance it
> says cpu usage is at 99%-100%. Even though i am only tryng to open a music
> file or click on a folder...the internet is working fine and i have no
> trouble browsing at regular speed but everything else is very slow. I
> tried
> antivirus(AVG 7), 2 anti spywares, (yahoo and ad-aware se) and even did a
> disk defrag but still no luck...what could possibly be wrong?

it's explorer.exe thats using 99% and i dont have that many system tray
programs running in the back ground either...my comp can usually handle what
im doing now...i can usually do a few things at a time like kazaa, media
player, word, messenger and still have decent speed but not now

"Tester" wrote:

> You say CPU usage is at 99-100%, go to processes, what is taking up all that
> CPU usage? Is it just 1 thing taking all that? Is it explorer.exe taking
> 99-100%? or a different .exe, etc?
>
> "steve123321" <steve123321@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > my computer is a p4 2.66 ghz 256 mb and recently it has been running like
> > 100 mhz computer...i tried auto restore to before i first noticed the
> > problem
> > but it has not workd...when i press ctl+alt+delete to check performance it
> > says cpu usage is at 99%-100%. Even though i am only tryng to open a music
> > file or click on a folder...the internet is working fine and i have no
> > trouble browsing at regular speed but everything else is very slow. I
> > tried
> > antivirus(AVG 7), 2 anti spywares, (yahoo and ad-aware se) and even did a
> > disk defrag but still no luck...what could possibly be wrong?

still not working. tried system restore to about aweek befor i noticed the
problem but it says system restore cannot completed when it finishes