Pc hell

G

Hello,
I am currently using a Gateway with a windows xp os(32 bit).I am now waiting for my new pc to arrive;a Dell xps 8100 with windows 7 o.s.(64 bit).I have allready transferred my files to a flash drive.Will new pc take my files from flash drive with no problem? Or did I SCREW UP?

Jonmor68

Distinguished
I you used the XP Windows transfer to copy files to the flash, you may have a problem.
Hold off till you get the new pc and use the Windows 7 Easy Transfer Wizard in it to save your files and settings onto the flash drive.
Click on start in W7, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools and click on Easy Transfer Wizard, choose option to save files from old computer.

I just found an easier way, go to Microsoft and download it. Scroll down about half way and then read all information.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

beriguu

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
If you are talking about just files like jpgs, mp3s, docs, and etc that you copied over using the Windows Explorer then you are fine. If you are talking about your Windows settings and personalization, then what Jonmor68 said.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
BTW, the Win7 system will read the USB drive just fine. Not a big deal. You did not screw up.

The Easy Transfer wizard is effective, but may be overkill in your case. Check oout Jonmor68's info and decide for yourself how to proceed.

You are probably just fine as you are as long as you copied everything you want.

Good luck and enjoy your new system!