Sign in with
Your question

ATI card rebooting my PC!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 31, 2004 11:31:37 AM

Hello all,

I’ve just taken out of my PC an Nvidia Ti4200 64 MB Gainward Golden Sample graphics card (as I’ve sold it on Ebay).
Now between that and getting a newer card I’ve installed my trusty backup graphics card. This is an ATI Sapphire Radeon 9000 series card. The cards software installed very well and when I go to display properties and advanced you see all the ATI tabs. BUT when I try to up the resolution from 800 x 600 it reboots my system with out fail!
My set up is 512 MB of RAM, 1.8 gig AMD Athlon CPU,MSI k7N2 Nforce motherboard.
I’m unable to run DxDiag – when it gets to the graphics part of the test it reboots itself again.
What I’ve tried so far is scan my system for any virus's and to set the bios to normal safe mode running, but this has not helped, and I’ve tried to install the latest drivers, but I got a warning message that I should install a standard VGA card first?
As a matter of interest in Device manager there was two Radeon Display adaptors showing? Why exactly I have no idea.

Could this be a case of my Nforce motherboard getting worried I’ve installed an ATI card (I wish! )

Any help, as ever, would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Greg

More about : ati card rebooting

August 31, 2004 12:33:26 PM

When you took out the nVidia card, did you clean up all the old drivers using Detonator Destroyer, Nasty File Remover, Driver Cleaner, RegScrub, Add & Remove Software?

If not, you may want to download one (or preferably more) of the above utilitites, clean out ALL nVidia and ATI drivers, and try re-installing the card. Sounds like a driver issue.

XP2200+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, SB Live! 5.1 Digital, TT PurePower 420W, Samsung 120GB, Maxtor 120GB, LG DVD+-R/RW, WIN2K PRO SP4
August 31, 2004 1:39:50 PM

I did use the uninstall facility in System>divice manager. But I didn't use any of the utilitys you mentioned.
I'll give that a go though tonight.
Out of interest are the tools specific for what you are uninstalling? Having an Nforce main board made by Invidia, I'd hate to uninstall everything thing like the Nforce audio drivers etc - but then on the other hand it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Cheers

Greg
Related resources
August 31, 2004 2:50:22 PM

The driver removal tools shouldn't affect your mainbaord drivers, but just to be on the safe side, I would stick with <A HREF="http://www.guru3d.com/detonator-destroyer/" target="_new">Detonator Destroyer</A> and <A HREF="http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/" target="_new">Driver Cleaner</A>.

XP2200+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, SB Live! 5.1 Digital, TT PurePower 420W, Samsung 120GB, Maxtor 120GB, LG DVD+-R/RW, WIN2K PRO SP4
September 1, 2004 9:00:00 PM

Thanks Sparky that worked a treat.

I used the Driver Cleaner software and now I can adjust as many setting as I like without being scared my pc's going to reboot!

Cheers and many thanks for your help.

Greg
!