Get me out of safeboot already!

May 12, 2005 8:11:13 PM

Help. I have XP Home Edition. I started in safeboot to remove a virus as per
instructions. Also, as per virus removal instructions I turned off system
restore before safebooting (so, system restore does not solve my problem).
Now I can not start my computer in normal mode. From system config. when I
select normal startup it automatically "checks" safeboot and the computer
starts in safe mode. When I "uncheck" safeboot it automatically goes to
selective startup and I can't use all the computer drives. This has become a
vicious circle. If I could just select normal startup w/out safeboot being
"checked" I think I would be o.k. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. I
am somewhat of a novice computer user so let me know if I am out my league
here. Thank you, Randy

More about : safeboot

Anonymous
May 13, 2005 12:00:44 AM

RandyW. wrote:
> Help. I have XP Home Edition. I started in safeboot to remove a virus
> as per instructions. Also, as per virus removal instructions I turned
> off system restore before safebooting (so, system restore does not
> solve my problem). Now I can not start my computer in normal mode.
> From system config. when I select normal startup it automatically
> "checks" safeboot and the computer starts in safe mode. When I
> "uncheck" safeboot it automatically goes to selective startup and I
> can't use all the computer drives. This has become a vicious circle.
> If I could just select normal startup w/out safeboot being "checked"
> I think I would be o.k. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. I
> am somewhat of a novice computer user so let me know if I am out my
> league here. Thank you, Randy

Randy,
Give this a try. When pc is powering up, and well before it even loads Windows.... tap & keep repeat tapping the F8 Function key. This will bring up a set of options. Select "Normal mode" Windows.
Then slowly go into MSCONFIG. Try again to set "normal startup". Then select Apply , then OK.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User