Argh! Help! Is the video card damaged? HELP!!!

chssvl

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2004
hello. I just got an ATI Radeon 9700 card that I bought from ebay. The card is brand new but as soon as I powered it up I started getting artifacts. In the boot screen I gent an image full of like green squares. I ran windows and when I installed the drivers and rebooted, after starting up windows it locked up and startid flashing some vertical green lights.

Is the card damaged or could it be something else. I have an MSI Kt3 Ultra mobo and I used to have an ATI Radeon 8500. Could it be because my motherboard is 4X?

Help please!

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did you remove the old card in "Control Panel" and all the drivers with ATI Uninstaller before you stuck the new card in? Did you plug in the 12v Molex connector and do you have enough gas on the 12v rail? Yea, this card will run fine in 4X mode.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
eBay is where most people get rid of their damaged hardware. If they claimed it was new and provided a new receipt, you can probably get ATI to replace it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
if hes getting greean stuff at boot screen (i am assuming before windows boots, ie during POST) then something wrong with the card. bcos windows drivers arent loaded at that time.

Chk the connections, tighten...or else send back the card.

<i> :evil: <font color=blue>Futile is resistance,</font color=blue><font color=red> assimilate you we will.</font color=red> :evil: </i>
<b>Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now.</b>