Taito SI....the resurrection

Ok so I have a Taito SI Mini..

anyone have one and know what the -12V does??, I cant find where the wire
in the wiring harness goes to...its not where it shows on the edge
connector.. all the edge connector are original but its just not there...
following the wiring schematic it looks like the -12 goes to a lamp, can
someone confirm or deny this insanity??

also the monitor comes up and goes to a solid glow then shuts down after
about 10 seconds, sounds like the flyback???

when everything is plugged in I and powered on I get no action, all the
voltages are checked and working except maybe for that -12v, although I can
test good to the orange wire @ the power supply, the harness it self has a
YELLOW wire where the orange should be as I said orange is -12..

thanks!

Vaxx

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

> anyone have one and know what the -12V does??, I cant find where the wire
> in the wiring harness goes to...its not where it shows on the edge
> connector.. all the edge connector are original but its just not there...
> following the wiring schematic it looks like the -12 goes to a lamp, can
> someone confirm or deny this insanity??

grab the manual of one of the sites.

> also the monitor comes up and goes to a solid glow then shuts down after
> about 10 seconds, sounds like the flyback???
If there is no arcing near the flyback, I would suspect dry caps.

Hi,

> > anyone have one and know what the -12V does??, I cant find where the
wire
> > in the wiring harness goes to...its not where it shows on the edge
> > connector.. all the edge connector are original but its just not
there...
> > following the wiring schematic it looks like the -12 goes to a lamp, can
> > someone confirm or deny this insanity??
> >

> grab the manual of one of the sites

Yeah I have the manual, I am looking at the schematic in there but it looks
like the -12v goes to a lamp in the same harness as the coin switch...
really bizzare, maybe its just my eyes....

> > also the monitor comes up and goes to a solid glow then shuts down after
> > about 10 seconds, sounds like the flyback???
> If there is no arcing near the flyback, I would suspect dry caps.

yeah, no arcing it just shuts down nicely , I will replace the caps on this
strange monitor...

Let me describe what I have and maybe someone can suggest a better course of
action...

I have a Taito SI cocktail and the Taito SI Mini, I wish they had used the
same monitor because the cocktail has no logic or wiring but the original
monitor is still in it... and the mini has a bad monitor, the Mini seems to
have some Japanese monitor and the cocktail seems to have a different
Japanese monitor It was nice of Taito NOT to put the monitor schematics IN
the SI manual..

Although they both have different strange monitors (not WG or Electrohome)
other oddities include the video connector which is different from the mini
to the cocktail. It seems the cocktail has a molex plug that holds the RGBHV
and monitor power. looking at the mini there are 4 wires going on to the
chassis that look like all signal as they are thin but I could be wrong I
suppose, the manual shows 2 of the 4 wires coming from an ISOxformer and 1
going to "video sig" on the CPU board and the last one going to ground... I
guess the mini black and white and the cocktail color???? looking at the
manual schematics I dont see any wires labelled RGB in the mini....can I
somehow use a color monitor in the mini???
--

thanks,
AF

"VaxX" <geoff_gunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
..au...

> > anyone have one and know what the -12V does??, I cant find where the
wire
> > in the wiring harness goes to...its not where it shows on the edge
> > connector.. all the edge connector are original but its just not
there...
> > following the wiring schematic it looks like the -12 goes to a lamp, can
> > someone confirm or deny this insanity??
> >

> grab the manual of one of the sites.
>

> > also the monitor comes up and goes to a solid glow then shuts down after
> > about 10 seconds, sounds like the flyback???
> If there is no arcing near the flyback, I would suspect dry caps.

Vaxx

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

The cocktail is a colour monitor, the mini is a b/w. The pcb from the
cocktail will have a comp out on it.

"Arcadeforever" <ve3zxr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> --
>
> thanks,
> AF
>
> "VaxX" <geoff_gunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> .au...
> >
> > > anyone have one and know what the -12V does??, I cant find where the
> wire
> > > in the wiring harness goes to...its not where it shows on the edge
> > > connector.. all the edge connector are original but its just not
> there...
> > > following the wiring schematic it looks like the -12 goes to a lamp,
can
> > > someone confirm or deny this insanity??
> > >

> > grab the manual of one of the sites.
> >

> > > also the monitor comes up and goes to a solid glow then shuts down
after
> > > about 10 seconds, sounds like the flyback???
> > If there is no arcing near the flyback, I would suspect dry caps.

Well that makes sense... although Im not sure why they did that??? can I put
the colour monitor in the mini ?? Can you convert B&W to Colour somehow??

are the boardsets the same??? I guess they cant be eh???

--

AF

"VaxX" <geoff_gunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
..au...
> [...]
ground...
> > guess the mini black and white and the cocktail color???? looking at the
> > manual schematics I dont see any wires labelled RGB in the mini....can I
> > somehow use a color monitor in the mini???
> > --
> >
> > thanks,
> > AF
> >
> > "VaxX" <geoff_gunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > .au...

> > wire
> > there...
> can
> > > >

> > > grab the manual of one of the sites.

> after
> > > If there is no arcing near the flyback, I would suspect dry caps.

Arcadeforever <ve3zxr@comcast.net> wrote:
: Well that makes sense... although Im not sure why they did that??? can I put
: the colour monitor in the mini ?? Can you convert B&W to Colour somehow??
:
: are the boardsets the same??? I guess they cant be eh???

The color set has a few extra chips (including a bipolar prom). The B&W
boardset doesn't have anything connected to the pins that the color boardset
uses for video out.

With a color boardset, you can stick the color monitor in the mini, but
you'll need to mod the harness too.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu