Things to ask for at Radio Shack

Last response: in Video Games
May 17, 2005 7:58:59 AM

"You got questions, we got excuses."

For a big laugh, try asking for any of the following at your local Radio
Shack:

* Dark-emitting diodes.
* Kneuter valve with left-hand thread.
* DVD rewinder.
* Transistor polish.
* CD-to-8-track adapter.
* Brass-magnet speakers.
* Cold sink grease.
* 16k Write-Only Memory chip.
* Hollerith punch cards.
* 18-ohm power supply.
* Inaudible continuity tester.
* Neutral battery.
* Impedance ribbon.
* Acid-core solder.
* Earth antenna.
* Immobile phone.
* Microwave oven antenna.
* Dihydrogen monoxide receptacle.
* Spam enhancer.
* TRS-80 manual.

More about : things radio shack

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 8:03:51 AM

> Brass-magnet speakers.

ok.. that one's pretty subtle... I doubt 99% of the people on the planet
know which metals are magnetic and not (sad really...)

"Matt J. McCullar" <mccullar@flash.net> wrote in message
> "You got questions, we got excuses."
>
> For a big laugh, try asking for any of the following at your local Radio
> Shack:
>
> * Dark-emitting diodes.
> * Kneuter valve with left-hand thread.
> * DVD rewinder.
> * Transistor polish.
> * CD-to-8-track adapter.
> * Brass-magnet speakers.
> * Cold sink grease.
> * 16k Write-Only Memory chip.
> * Hollerith punch cards.
> * 18-ohm power supply.
> * Inaudible continuity tester.
> * Neutral battery.
> * Impedance ribbon.
> * Acid-core solder.
> * Earth antenna.
> * Immobile phone.
> * Microwave oven antenna.
> * Dihydrogen monoxide receptacle.
> * Spam enhancer.
> * TRS-80 manual.

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 10:46:27 AM

Don't forget self sealing stem bolts.

>"You got questions, we got excuses."
>
>For a big laugh, try asking for any of the following at your local Radio
>Shack:
>
>* Dark-emitting diodes.
>* Kneuter valve with left-hand thread.
>* DVD rewinder.
>* Transistor polish.
>* CD-to-8-track adapter.
>* Brass-magnet speakers.
>* Cold sink grease.
>* 16k Write-Only Memory chip.
>* Hollerith punch cards.
>* 18-ohm power supply.
>* Inaudible continuity tester.
>* Neutral battery.
>* Impedance ribbon.
>* Acid-core solder.
>* Earth antenna.
>* Immobile phone.
>* Microwave oven antenna.
>* Dihydrogen monoxide receptacle.
>* Spam enhancer.
>* TRS-80 manual.

May 17, 2005 10:49:43 AM

Ok Im probably in the minority here, but I worked for Radio Shack for
one full year while I was in college. It was a fun job and met many
nice people.

But my job was draw versus commission, as are a lot of sales jobs. Yes
Radio Shack is and always has been a sales job, not a salaried clerk or
EE. The draw was min. wage or 6% commission. You dont really expect an
employee to know resistor values or to go through the transistor
catalog and find what you have no idea what you need yourself. I was
there to make money and put myself through college and make
car/insurance payments. I was all about selling cell phones (high
dollar item back then!), computers, C-band satellites, vcr's and cd
players. Someone walked in looking for .19c parts I directed them to
the parts wall. You may not agree with this, but thats my approach to
how I was paid.

Be realistic guys, there are other resources available online or
through catalogs that fill this niche and offer expert advice. Radio
Shack has changed their business plan a long time ago. They werent
going to stay around by catering to the hobbyist buying $5 worth of
parts because that business model wasnt working for them.

My .02c, if its worth that much!
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 12:53:41 PM

for the biggest laugh, dont forget to ask for HELP about anything!!!!!

--

AF

"Matt J. McCullar" <mccullar@flash.net> wrote in message
> "You got questions, we got excuses."
>
> For a big laugh, try asking for any of the following at your local Radio
> Shack:
>
> * Dark-emitting diodes.
> * Kneuter valve with left-hand thread.
> * DVD rewinder.
> * Transistor polish.
> * CD-to-8-track adapter.
> * Brass-magnet speakers.
> * Cold sink grease.
> * 16k Write-Only Memory chip.
> * Hollerith punch cards.
> * 18-ohm power supply.
> * Inaudible continuity tester.
> * Neutral battery.
> * Impedance ribbon.
> * Acid-core solder.
> * Earth antenna.
> * Immobile phone.
> * Microwave oven antenna.
> * Dihydrogen monoxide receptacle.
> * Spam enhancer.
> * TRS-80 manual.

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 4:06:51 PM

For what it's worth, I worked for the Shack a few years back, in
college, and I think this stuff is funny.

I never cared enough to get the miniscule amount of extra $ for
commissions on things... if someone wanted a big purchase or a cell
phone, I just handed them off to one of the fulltime people of the
store... It wasn't worth my effort.

I much rather preferred watching Fawlty Towers, or "Beyond The Mind's
Eye" on the TVs.... ;)
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 5:31:37 PM

"Matt J. McCullar" <mccullar@flash.net> wrote in message
> "You got questions, we got excuses."

Heh-heh... Neil Bradley had a .sig for a while that I really liked:

Radio Shack: "You've got questions. We've got batteries."

-Clay
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 6:31:24 PM

god damn it... you KNEW someone was going to have to rain on our RS bashing
parade :)

"phoenixarcade.com" <azarcadegames@cox.net> wrote in message
> Ok Im probably in the minority here, but I worked for Radio Shack for
> one full year while I was in college. It was a fun job and met many
> nice people.
>
> But my job was draw versus commission, as are a lot of sales jobs. Yes
> Radio Shack is and always has been a sales job, not a salaried clerk or
> EE. The draw was min. wage or 6% commission. You dont really expect an
> employee to know resistor values or to go through the transistor
> catalog and find what you have no idea what you need yourself. I was
> there to make money and put myself through college and make
> car/insurance payments. I was all about selling cell phones (high
> dollar item back then!), computers, C-band satellites, vcr's and cd
> players. Someone walked in looking for .19c parts I directed them to
> the parts wall. You may not agree with this, but thats my approach to
> how I was paid.
>
> Be realistic guys, there are other resources available online or
> through catalogs that fill this niche and offer expert advice. Radio
> Shack has changed their business plan a long time ago. They werent
> going to stay around by catering to the hobbyist buying $5 worth of
> parts because that business model wasnt working for them.
>
> My .02c, if its worth that much!

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 7:15:19 PM

Matt J. McCullar <mccullar@flash.net> wrote:

: * TRS-80 manual.

Sniff, now you're going to make me cry.

http://www.westnet.com/
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 10:06:45 PM

You know, that is something I have actually pondered during many a cold
MI winter :)

For the machine to be outside, it would have to. We get below zero
weather here and all the insulation in the world isn't going to keep
the cans above freezing in that weather..
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 1:17:47 AM

ROFL! Those were great!

You could also take the Carrot Top approach and ask for the Phoneless Cord.

I personally loved what one friend pulled on another. (Both worked for
RS about 10 years ago.)

On friend calls another store hoping that the other friend will answer,
and luckily he does.

"Thank you for calling Radio Shack where if you've got questions we've
got answers. Roger speaking. How can I help you?"

"Yeah I have a question."

"Go ahead sir."

"If soda machines cool the sodas in the summer, do they heat them in the
winter so they don't explode?"

(pause) "Uh....."

Still makes me giggle thinking about it, but maybe you had to be there.

- Dave

P.S. The geek actually found out that yes, they supposedly do. (at least
in Northern NYS)
--
Dave Bush <statman.onay.pamsay@twcny.rr.com>

Remove the pig Latin to reply.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 1:38:05 AM

Hey, I've got a couple Model III's in the attic with 5-1/4 floppies,
some TRSDOS disks and a programmers manual... I should get them out and
see if they still work.

~Greg

Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
> Matt J. McCullar <mccullar@flash.net> wrote:
>
> : * TRS-80 manual.
>

> Sniff, now you're going to make me cry.

May 18, 2005 1:46:06 AM

how many did they buy :)

"B. White" <bish500@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> Don't forget self sealing stem bolts.
>

> >"You got questions, we got excuses."
> >
> >For a big laugh, try asking for any of the following at your local Radio
> >Shack:
> >
> >* Dark-emitting diodes.
> >* Kneuter valve with left-hand thread.
> >* DVD rewinder.
> >* Transistor polish.
> >* CD-to-8-track adapter.
> >* Brass-magnet speakers.
> >* Cold sink grease.
> >* 16k Write-Only Memory chip.
> >* Hollerith punch cards.
> >* 18-ohm power supply.
> >* Inaudible continuity tester.
> >* Neutral battery.
> >* Impedance ribbon.
> >* Acid-core solder.
> >* Earth antenna.
> >* Immobile phone.
> >* Microwave oven antenna.
> >* Dihydrogen monoxide receptacle.
> >* Spam enhancer.
> >* TRS-80 manual.

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 8:38:39 AM

I just listed some TRS80 manuals on ebay if you're interested!
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 11:49:44 PM

Dont forget the ole 5 farad @ 200v cap.
!