You must be running a Microsoft Windows operating system??..

I do have XP Home Edition and I got this message if I want to download. Is
anybody known what is wrong with my computer????? Help!!!!
"Thank you for your interest in Windows Update
Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the
most out of your computer.
You must be running a Microsoft Windows operating system in order to use
Windows Update."
5 answers Last reply
More about running microsoft windows operating system

    You need to visit the Windows Update web site using Internet Explorer
    and not a third-party browser, such as AOL, Netscape, FireFox, etc.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "gosia" wrote:

    | I do have XP Home Edition and I got this message if I want to download. Is
    | anybody known what is wrong with my computer????? Help!!!!
    | "Thank you for your interest in Windows Update
    | Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the
    | most out of your computer.
    | You must be running a Microsoft Windows operating system in order to use
    | Windows Update."

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0519-2, 05/12/2005
    Tested on: 5/13/2005 10:16:37 AM

    Are you using Norton Internet Security?
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/735050b77b1fcece88256bc7005c3bc6/2dd3f0d5c9e3861165256c470073981f

    Tom
    "gosia" <gosia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    |I do have XP Home Edition and I got this message if I want to download. Is
    | anybody known what is wrong with my computer????? Help!!!!
    | "Thank you for your interest in Windows Update
    | Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the
    | most out of your computer.
    | You must be running a Microsoft Windows operating system in order to use
    | Windows Update."

    Follow this:
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
    Look for "When attempting to access the Windows Update Web site you receive
    the following message: Thank You -- you must be running a Microsoft windows
    operating system in order to use windows update"

    Otherwise follow the Windows Update Checklist:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "gosia" <gosia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I do have XP Home Edition and I got this message if I want to download. Is
    > anybody known what is wrong with my computer????? Help!!!!
    > "Thank you for your interest in Windows Update
    > Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the
    > most out of your computer.
    > You must be running a Microsoft Windows operating system in order to use
    > Windows Update."

    Thank you, but my problem was with Norton Internet Security.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > You need to visit the Windows Update web site using Internet Explorer
    > and not a third-party browser, such as AOL, Netscape, FireFox, etc.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "gosia" wrote:
    >
    > | I do have XP Home Edition and I got this message if I want to download. Is
    > | anybody known what is wrong with my computer????? Help!!!!
    > | "Thank you for your interest in Windows Update
    > | Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the
    > | most out of your computer.
    > | You must be running a Microsoft Windows operating system in order to use
    > | Windows Update."
    >

    > ---
    > Virus Database (VPS): 0519-2, 05/12/2005
    > Tested on: 5/13/2005 10:16:37 AM

    I had that problem not just 5 minutes ago over the last four days.
    Here's what my solution was:
    I'm running Sygate Personal Firewall.
    I was getting the same message:

    "Thank you for your interest in Windows Update
    Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get
    the
    most out of your computer.
    You must be running a Microsoft Windows operating system in order to
    use
    Windows Update."

    I disabled Sygate and enabled XP firewall.
    Went to Windows update and
    BOO-YEAH...it worked.

    So, I opened Sygate, went to tool/options/security and found that
    "enable stealth mode browsing" was checked.
    I unchecked it, enabled Sygate and disabled XP firewall and the rest is
    history.
    I'm able to use the windows update (IE - tools/windows update).

    If you're running Norton, I suggets that you check out Norton's
    Properties/Options.
    There may be a stealth mode option in there that's checked, ok?

    --
    aljayduPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Computers Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP