Windows 7 Performance!!!

Arock

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
When i installed win 7 original rtm(x86)...my pc ranned so fast(screen refresh) almost like xp..but after installing the essential apps it seems lik a month old xp(screen refresh)..my pc has
P4 HT(3GHz,2mb L2 cache,800Mhz FSB)
Intel 915GAV MB
1.5GHz DDR 1 400mhz (1x1Gb 2x256mb in 3 DIMMS..Memory mode:single channel)
ati radeon 4650 1GB

So i m thinking 2 add another 1GB to the last dimm left in my mobo so it become 2.5Gb & Mode BECOME DUAL Channel..will this improve the performance for win7????If yes then how much??Info: Almost all latest popular game tiltles runs smoothly(in XP) in my pc..So Plz dont tell to take a new pc..its not possible for me now..
Currently the following programs:
5bbdll.jpg

:pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable:

Solution
D

Yeah the P4 has hyperthreading (HT) so it shows as 2 cores but in fact is a single core processor with a second virtual core. Windows 7 was designed for multi-core computers so what qams recommended would blow what you have now away. An E-5200 has 2 real processors.

Have you tried a defrag?
Have you added a new anti-virus program? Some can cause slowdowns especially with an old P4.
Is your hard drive close to full? This can also cause major slowdowns.
Are you running 32 or 64 bit Win 7? Even if its 32 you can never have too much memory. Maybe add that 1 gig stick then you would have dual channel as well. That old...

qams

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009

Well, u can upgrade your Processor to Pentium-Dual core E5200 800FSB with 2MB cache

RAM = 2x 1GB in dual channel will do great job.

Motherboard is OK

Check for any Viruses and SPYWARES

D

Deleted member 217926

Yeah the P4 has hyperthreading (HT) so it shows as 2 cores but in fact is a single core processor with a second virtual core. Windows 7 was designed for multi-core computers so what qams recommended would blow what you have now away. An E-5200 has 2 real processors.

Have you tried a defrag?
Have you added a new anti-virus program? Some can cause slowdowns especially with an old P4.
Is your hard drive close to full? This can also cause major slowdowns.
Are you running 32 or 64 bit Win 7? Even if its 32 you can never have too much memory. Maybe add that 1 gig stick then you would have dual channel as well. That old DDR400 is expensive now though.

Solution

Snow_Patrol

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Click Start > Type 'Run' >Type 'msconfig' into tin dialog box and accept any UAC prompts you may get. You'll see a few tabs in the Msconfig window, and the 2 most important are Services and Start up. Go to both, and start disabling services and programs that you dont require to load when you start your computer.

You should leave only the entries for your sound card, graphics card, and anti-virus untouched, but the others you can safely turn off. If you have a printer attached which loads software its worth a look to see if disabling it causes any problems. If I could post screenies here, then you'd see that I only have three things loading on start-up on my computer. Doing this should free up some space in your RAM.

If you have any large files in your Documents folder or on your desktop (files larger van 10MB), then move these to another folder on your hard drive and, if you require constant access to these files, paste their shortcuts to your desktop. On start-up, Windows automatically loads files sitting on your desktop and Documents folder into RAM, which would make access to these files minutely quicker than accessing them from the hard drive. If you use the same programs frequently (not counting games), then enable Superfetch. It'll take a full month of usage to work perfectly, but once it does you'll see why Superfetch was implemented.

Also, set your anti-virus to only scan when you manually ask it to, and set automatic updates to only notify you when new updates are available. If you're not connected to the internet, then you can disable automatic updates to free up more memory and CPU cycles.

4745454b

Titan
I believe the 2MB L2 cache P4s are the 8xx/9xx chips, so they are true dual cores. The 5200 is a good idea however because its based on the newer C2D line, which is much faster C4C. The problem is his 915 chipset board can't run those chips AFAIK. Some of the 945s can, but haven't heard of any 915 boards being able to run them.

More ram might help, but its something else if the performance is going down over time.

Snow_Patrol

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
The others also recommended hardware upgrades, but I'm running 7 RC on my home computer. I run a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz (1MB cache, 533FSB) 1GB DDR333 and a Geforce FX5200, and it runs smooth as silk with Aero Glass. Your hardware isn't at fault, its the software loaded onto Windows causing the slowdown.

qams

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009

Agree

Arock

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
Snow_Patrol wrote :

The others also recommended hardware upgrades, but I'm running 7 RC on my home computer. I run a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz (1MB cache, 533FSB) 1GB DDR333 and a Geforce FX5200, and it runs smooth as silk with Aero Glass. Your hardware isn't at fault, its the software loaded onto Windows causing the slowdown.

Agree
thanxxx..but then wat else degrading my comps speed other than my hardware???

dubesinhower

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009

you might want to list off some of those "essential apps" you were talking about. chances are, you could probably due without some of them for the sake of freeing up some cpu. also, try running ccleaner and malwarebytes. both are free programs that might help you speed up your computer and scan for hidden malware. you might try defragging your drives too, although i never really seem to get any performance boosts from that.

roys1980

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
I'm also running Windows 7 Ultimate on my home computer. I run a Pentium 4 3Ghz HT (2MB cache, 800FSB) 2GB DDR400 and a Geforce NVIDIA GeForce XFX 6200 TurboCache, and it runs smooth as silk with Aero Glass Theme.

G

if your processor is 64 bit and your running a 32 bit OS, then that means that the processor needs to to double the operations.

let me explain.

if you run 32 bit windows on a 64 bit processor the processor itself needs to emulate a 32 bit environment to be compatible to the operating system. this slows things down and makes the CPU run twice as hot.

install windows 7 64 bit. during the install the setup will check your cpu and if its not 64 bit, the setup will halt.

if the CPU is 64 bit and the windows 7 version is 64 bit the setup should work fine.

after the install is done and you got all the drivers the processor does not need to run on 32 bit mode unless you run a 32 bit/x86 application.

you will notice the overall heat & fan speed decrease & performance loading apps will be super fast.

i am a self employed computer engineer that does this for a living and ive tested this theory on many laptops and desktops and ot has resolved 95% of my issues with performance.

it makes sense too. having a 64 bit processor,means you should utilize that fact by running a 64 bit operating system. the best so far ive tested and approved for all my clients is

WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT.

have trouble finding a copy to test out? PM me for details.

i am a self employed computer engineer that does this for a living and ive tested this theory on many laptops and desktops and ot has resolved 95% of my issues with performance.
I'm afraid that what you say is largely incorrect. A 64-bit processor will run a 32-bit OS just as efficiently as a 32-bit processor does. There is no question of emulating a 32-bit processor - the processor just stays in Protected Mode and doesn't enter Long Mode.

There are very good reasons for installing a 64-bit OS, but your explanation is, to put it politely, misleading nonsense. Have you actually studied the architecture of x86_64 processors?

G

yes ive studied the architecture in great detail, im only relaying this information because ive tested this many times and the benchmarks and fan speeds and temps say it all.

if you run a 32 bit os on a 64 bit processor the system itself will run hotter, the fan speed will be faster and the calculation will will take a little longer to complete.

run a 64 bit os on a 64 bit processor the fan speed and temp will be much cooler and slower fan speeds. this is from my data collection during my studies.

try it out for yourself. i guarantee u will notice a difference.

i got sick of laptop after laptop running like a hairdryer,(high fan speed with extreme amount of heat exhaust. running 32 bit windows with a 64 bit processor. after installing 64 bit windows i barley hear the fan at all and my customer feedback has been very positive. key remarks they give me are

system running cooler.

they also notice a difference in switching between application doesn't take nearly as long as 32 bit windows.

not trying to confuse anyone with this information im just relaying the results of my tests.

To be honest, when you make a remark like "if you run 32 bit windows on a 64 bit processor the processor itself needs to emulate a 32 bit environment to be compatible to the operating system" then I find it difficult to believe that you have studied the architecture of the processor and its operating modes.

Perhaps you could link to some independent tests that prove what you are saying. This might be more useful than anecdotal evidence.

I run Vista 32-bit on a laptop with a 64-bit processor. It runs just fine, not like a hairdryer and I can't hear the fan at all. But that also is just anecdotal. Proper independent tests are the only way to show for sure.

4745454b

Titan
x64, or x86-64 doesn't need to emulate a 32bit environment. I'm having trouble myself believe the temp decrease as well. The only way this would be possible is if the 64bit version you have has better sleep states then the 32bit. (comparing win7 64bit to XP 32 bit for example.) When the system runs, it runs. 64bit won't make most programs run faster.

I agree, but there is trolling and trolling. When the information being supplied is factually incorrect, and positively misleading, it warrants some sort of rebuttal. From the "PM me for details" bit I suspect he's trying to sell something.