Sign in with
Your question

Cannot type some keys

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
August 8, 2012 8:17:57 AM

Hi all,

I have a Acer 290 TM Laptop which is working but has a problem with the keyboard. Some keys in a line "m,klop" and the the FN keys above are not working.

It seems however that bending a bit the laptop motherboard or pushing it nearby the video card is fixing the problem. I assume that there is then a faulty connection somewhere. It is not a problem with the keyboard so cannot be fixed just by putting a new keyboard.

Probably it can be fixed just by re-soldering some lines, but how can I find the specific point of failure ?

Any answer/tip highly appreciated.

More about : type keys

a c 206 D Laptop
August 8, 2012 2:28:32 PM

The only way to find exactly where the issue is to to replace the connections or reseat them at least. The ribbon cables are too small to use a voltmeter properly to check for any dead cables.
November 13, 2012 6:53:44 PM

hi hang-the-9,

The problem I assume is somewhere on the MB as when I press in certain part of the MB then the keys are starting to work again. The keyboard is completely OK when you find the golden push point.

Note that I disassembled completely the MB so I am NOT just pushing on the case which can twist the keyboard flat cable or connectors.

Anyone faced something similar in some other or the same laptop ? Otherwise I would end up using a bluetooth keyboard but I would like to use the one that is in place :) 
Related resources
a c 206 D Laptop
November 13, 2012 8:46:44 PM

The motherboard itself is in no way at fault here. When you push on the motherboard you are flexing the connectors. It could be the motherboard, but only in the area where the keyboard connection is.
a c 249 D Laptop
November 14, 2012 12:40:24 AM

Hi :) 

Have you actually TRIED a new keyboard ?

I would, and I own a lappy repair company...

All the best Brett :) 
!