xp pro with AMD 64 keeps locking up

I have win xp pro on a new computer that I build. I have 512mb ram with a
soyo Dragon CK8 plus motherboard. Has a FX5200 vidio card with 128mb ram.
It keeps just locking up. When I check the event log all I get is a machine
check. When I check details all its telling me is a bad driver or not
authorized to a driver. But it gives me no clue as to what driver may be the
culprit. Please help.
--
Royf150
3 answers Last reply

    You likely need to do work while in Safe Mode. Tap & repeat tapping F8
    Function key as pc is first booting up.

    Take a look at David Candy's suggestions here
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain/browse_thread/thread/bcf11e00906add92/81a7ffbd2b7f8e3a?q=0x1000000a&rnum=5&hl=en#81a7ffbd2b7f8e3a

    A useful set of tips from Joshua Smith at MS:

    <begin quote>
    To determine what driver is causing the problem I need you to enable driver
    verifier.
    Steps:
    1) Windows Key + R
    2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
    3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
    4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
    5) Reboot

    There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this
    occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and select
    the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4 choose
    'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any
    driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.

    This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but
    will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash
    the blue screen will hopefully say something like
    "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". If this occurs please send the
    corresponding minidump (by default it is at c:\windows\Minidump ) my way.
    If you have any questions or I didn't explain something well enough don't
    hesitate to e-mail me (remove "online") back. Good Luck,

    Joshua Smith
    OpenGL Test Lab
    Microsoft

    </end quote>

    HTH
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    ---
    "Royf150" wrote
    >I have win xp pro on a new computer that I build. I have 512mb ram with a
    > soyo Dragon CK8 plus motherboard. Has a FX5200 vidio card with 128mb ram.
    > It keeps just locking up. When I check the event log all I get is a
    > machine
    > check. When I check details all its telling me is a bad driver or not
    > authorized to a driver. But it gives me no clue as to what driver may be
    > the
    > culprit. Please help.
    > --
    > Royf150

    after building a new machine, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS test and burn it in
    before you install windows!

    run memtest86+ on the machine overnight and make sure there are ZERO
    errors reported. ANY errors and your machine is unstable. [Errors at the
    very end of Test #5 are common on AMD boxes; google for "memtest86 test 5"
    for further info on how to deal w/ them].

    random machine hangs/lockups are most often caused by: memory problem,
    heat problem, power supply problem. eliminate all these issues before
    blaming the software.

    The most "troblesome" driver in any system is the video driver.

    Did you install the NVidia driver? Try uninstalling it completely and
    letting XP use its own built-in driver (which nVidia wrote for MS; it
    should be stable but w/o the extensive properties dialog boxes in Display
    | Properties | Settings). It should also have a much smaller memory
    footprint. Unless you're gaming you don't need the lastest and greatest
    nVidia driver. If/when you get things stabilized you can try it again if
    you realy want to.

    Frodo,
    Excellent note on burn-in & freezes/lockups. WTG !
    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User
    <frodo@theshire.org> wrote in message
    > after building a new machine, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS test and burn it in
    > before you install windows!
    >
    > run memtest86+ on the machine overnight and make sure there are ZERO
    > errors reported. ANY errors and your machine is unstable. [Errors at the
    > very end of Test #5 are common on AMD boxes; google for "memtest86 test 5"
    > for further info on how to deal w/ them].
    >
    > random machine hangs/lockups are most often caused by: memory problem,
    > heat problem, power supply problem. eliminate all these issues before
    > blaming the software.
    >
    > The most "troblesome" driver in any system is the video driver.
    >
    > Did you install the NVidia driver? Try uninstalling it completely and
    > letting XP use its own built-in driver (which nVidia wrote for MS; it
    > should be stable but w/o the extensive properties dialog boxes in Display
    > | Properties | Settings). It should also have a much smaller memory
    > footprint. Unless you're gaming you don't need the lastest and greatest
    > nVidia driver. If/when you get things stabilized you can try it again if
    > you realy want to.

Windows XP