Which PCI Slot Shares IRQ With AGP?

My Dell 4300 PC currently is having a IRQ conflict with something. I
believe the USB/Firewire adapter card is having conflict, and I have a
feeling that it is conflicting with the AGP video card. I was told that
the AGP slot may share the same IRQ as some PCI slots. Seem like I
should move the USB/Firewire adapter card to a different PCI slot. My
question is which slot should I move it to?

Thanks.

Jay Chan
5 answers Last reply
More about which slot shares

    jaykchan@hotmail.com wrote:
    > My Dell 4300 PC currently is having a IRQ conflict with something. I
    > believe the USB/Firewire adapter card is having conflict, and I have a
    > feeling that it is conflicting with the AGP video card. I was told that
    > the AGP slot may share the same IRQ as some PCI slots. Seem like I
    > should move the USB/Firewire adapter card to a different PCI slot. My
    > question is which slot should I move it to?

    What operating system? There should not be a problem in
    sharing IRQ's with Windows XP or Windows 2000. And to check
    for possible IRQ conflicts, right click on My Computer and
    in Properties, go to the hardware tab. There are various
    viewing options in Device Manager.

    I am using WinXP Home Edition. Occasionally, I have some problem with
    IRQ problem during booting up (blue screen).

    Thanks. I will go to Device Manager to check the existing IRQ
    assignment. I will try to not allowing sharing IRQ in order to narrow
    down the cause of the problem.

    Jay Chan

    The IRQ problem during bootup could also be caused by a failing or failed
    battery, which maintains the IRQ and other PnP settings. Replace the battery.

    You might also succeed by clearing the NVRAM, another name for the Extended
    System Configuration Data (ESCD), a part of the motherboard flash BIOS which
    holds the system Plug-and-Play settings... Ben Myers

    On 2 Mar 2005 05:42:09 -0800, jaykchan@hotmail.com wrote:

    >I am using WinXP Home Edition. Occasionally, I have some problem with
    >IRQ problem during booting up (blue screen).
    >
    >Thanks. I will go to Device Manager to check the existing IRQ
    >assignment. I will try to not allowing sharing IRQ in order to narrow
    >down the cause of the problem.
    >
    >Jay Chan

    > The IRQ problem during bootup could also be caused by a failing or
    failed
    > battery, which maintains the IRQ and other PnP settings. Replace the
    battery.

    I will look into this next time when I fail to boot up and restored
    from last good setup cannot fix the problem. Thanks.

    > You might also succeed by clearing the NVRAM, another name for the
    Extended
    > System Configuration Data (ESCD), a part of the motherboard flash
    BIOS which
    > holds the system Plug-and-Play settings...

    I am not sure how this may help. Is it just the same as resetting
    everything back to the manufacturer defaults.

    Jay Chan

    <jaykchan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> The IRQ problem during bootup could also be caused by a failing or
    > failed
    >> battery, which maintains the IRQ and other PnP settings. Replace the
    > battery.
    >
    > I will look into this next time when I fail to boot up and restored
    > from last good setup cannot fix the problem. Thanks.
    >
    >> You might also succeed by clearing the NVRAM, another name for the
    > Extended
    >> System Configuration Data (ESCD), a part of the motherboard flash
    > BIOS which
    >> holds the system Plug-and-Play settings...
    >
    > I am not sure how this may help. Is it just the same as resetting
    > everything back to the manufacturer defaults.
    >
    > Jay Chan

    The CMOS battery isn't bad or failing; you'd have a pre-POST message
    indicating as much immediately after the Dell splash.

    The system may not like the card. If it were mine, I'd pull all of the PCI
    cards (after noting their original slots) and install the USB/1394 card in a
    different PCI slot and then boot the machine.

    If the card can't be configured, then try it again in each slot. If no slot
    works then obviously that specific card is either bad or incompatible.

    If the card installs successfully, then add the other PCI cards back
    individually and boot to desktop with each - verifying that the conflict
    hasn't returned.

    The shared/cascaded IRQs aren't the problem. The card may be.

    Good luck.

    Stew

Dell PCI Firewire USB Computers