How would this laptop do for my budget?

Status
Not open for further replies.

huzisong

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
I'm looking into a laptop for a family member.
She needs it for photoshop, graphic design, web browsing, and some casual gaming.

I've had my eyes out on this laptop:

http://shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-Pavilion/C0L24AV?HP-Pavilion-dv6t-7000-Entertainment-Notebook-PC

customized to these specs:

http://imgur.com/nkaB0

However, I don't know how well it would perform on photoshop, as I myself have never used it.
Is the a10-4600m enough to run smoothly, and for that price tag?

The 7660G should crossfire with the 7670, correct?

My budget is around $750, and this laptop seems to be perfect, seeing as I've always loved AMD.

I'm open to suggestions however.
Thanks guys.

Solution
That laptop should be fine. All I can see is perhaps the screen resolution not being FHD being the only minor issue depending on what she is using photoshop for but that can be augmented with an external monitor down the road. I easily use photoshop for image editing and web design on an old Panasonic CF-52 with an old Core 2 duo processor and 4 gigs of ram so the one you pieced together should be more than adequate.

airanp

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
That laptop should be fine. All I can see is perhaps the screen resolution not being FHD being the only minor issue depending on what she is using photoshop for but that can be augmented with an external monitor down the road. I easily use photoshop for image editing and web design on an old Panasonic CF-52 with an old Core 2 duo processor and 4 gigs of ram so the one you pieced together should be more than adequate.

Solution

edit1754

Distinguished
May 14, 2012
You generally should not buy the HP DV6 in any configuration that includes the default 1366x768 display. 1366x768 resolution in a 15.6" display makes things onscreen large, and 15.6" displays that have 1366x768 resolution tend to have very poor image quality due to low contrast. You should avoid this type of display (and similar types of displays such as 17.3" 1600x900) when it is reasonable to do so, unless you require the larger text for eyesight-related reasons.

Since you're only looking at the GT 630M GPU, I would instead suggest the Thinkpad T530. You can configure the Thinkpad T530 with a slightly faster GPU and a slightly higher resolution + much better quality display, and still fall under $750.

Lenovo Thinkpad T530 (with the 1600x900 display) through the Barnes and Noble Gold discount
- Sign up and sign in here: http://shoplenovo.i2.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/na/StdAffinityPortal/en_US/Lenovo:EnterStdAffinity?affinity=barnesnoblegold
- Barnes and Noble Gold discount T530 link: http://shoplenovo.i2.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/barnesnoblegold/StdAffinityPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=DC8F3B79220E3BCF3B7C12AAA11F7BFB&action=init (you will need to create a free Barnes and Noble Gold account)
- Start with the cheapest base configuration.
- On the configuration page, upgrade the "Display type" to at least HD+ (1600x900). You should not buy the Lenovo Thinkpad T530 in any configuration that includes the default HD (1366x768) display. 1366x768 resolution in a 15.6" display makes things onscreen large, and 15.6" displays that have 1366x768 resolution tend to have very poor image quality due to low contrast. The availability of the upgraded displays upgrade is part of my reasoning for recommending this computer.
- Recommended: Get the free WiFi adapter upgrade to the "Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200", because some have reported issues with the stock "Thinkpad 1x1 b/g/n" adapter.
- Note: The Core i5-3210M from the Core i3-2370M isn't a bad upgrade choice. It may also help with battery life since it's IvyBridge instead of SandyBridge.
- Upgrade to the NVS 5400M dedicated GPU will help with moderate gaming and with CAD. It isn't the greatest GPU, but it's a good step up from integrated graphics.
- Does not come with a Webcam by default. If you want one, you need to select the upgrade.
- In the cart, click the green "Activate eCoupon" button to get your discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.