Imaging devices listed as unknown in Device Manager

Hi,

All of a sudden, the imaging devices attached to a computer with Windows XP
Pro SP2 are showing up under the Unknown category in the Device Manager. The
devices are listed correctly by their names under Unknown, but the software
won't communicate with them.

So...

Windows can see the devices, but it does not know what type of devices they
are. It is only the imaging devices. One is a Canon 4200F Canoscan scanner,
the other is a Sony Camcorder, and the third is a hardware capture device
(Pinnacle Moviebox). The Canon scanner is a USB 2.0 device, while the other
two are attached through firewire ports.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I definitely don't want to reinstall
XP Pro if at all possible.

Thanks,

You'll have to uninstall the software for those devices,
then reinstall it.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"MBO" wrote:

| Hi,
|
| All of a sudden, the imaging devices attached to a computer with Windows XP
| Pro SP2 are showing up under the Unknown category in the Device Manager. The
| devices are listed correctly by their names under Unknown, but the software
| won't communicate with them.
|
| So...
|
| Windows can see the devices, but it does not know what type of devices they
| are. It is only the imaging devices. One is a Canon 4200F Canoscan scanner,
| the other is a Sony Camcorder, and the third is a hardware capture device
| (Pinnacle Moviebox). The Canon scanner is a USB 2.0 device, while the other
| two are attached through firewire ports.
|
| Any help would be greatly appreciated. I definitely don't want to reinstall
| XP Pro if at all possible.
|
| Thanks,

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0519-2, 05/12/2005
Tested on: 5/13/2005 4:50:29 PM

Hi Carey,

I tried that before posting (should have said that) and it didn't work. I
finally had to run a repair on the OS (WinXP Pro) to get this thing to work
correctly. I am not sure what caused the problem. There is probably a much
easier and less time consuming fix for it than what I did.

Thanks,

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> You'll have to uninstall the software for those devices,
> then reinstall it.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "MBO" wrote:
>
> | Hi,
> |
> | All of a sudden, the imaging devices attached to a computer with Windows XP
> | Pro SP2 are showing up under the Unknown category in the Device Manager. The
> | devices are listed correctly by their names under Unknown, but the software
> | won't communicate with them.
> |
> | So...
> |
> | Windows can see the devices, but it does not know what type of devices they
> | are. It is only the imaging devices. One is a Canon 4200F Canoscan scanner,
> | the other is a Sony Camcorder, and the third is a hardware capture device
> | (Pinnacle Moviebox). The Canon scanner is a USB 2.0 device, while the other
> | two are attached through firewire ports.
> |
> | Any help would be greatly appreciated. I definitely don't want to reinstall
> | XP Pro if at all possible.
> |
> | Thanks,
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 0519-2, 05/12/2005
> Tested on: 5/13/2005 4:50:29 PM

DaddySam

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Hello Carey,
I am having the same problem exactly but with Win XP.
Can you give me some more detail on how you repaired Windows XP
With thanks

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> You'll have to uninstall the software for those devices,
> then reinstall it.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "MBO" wrote:
>
> | Hi,
> |
> | All of a sudden, the imaging devices attached to a computer with Windows XP
> | Pro SP2 are showing up under the Unknown category in the Device Manager. The
> | devices are listed correctly by their names under Unknown, but the software
> | won't communicate with them.
> |
> | So...
> |
> | Windows can see the devices, but it does not know what type of devices they
> | are. It is only the imaging devices. One is a Canon 4200F Canoscan scanner,
> | the other is a Sony Camcorder, and the third is a hardware capture device
> | (Pinnacle Moviebox). The Canon scanner is a USB 2.0 device, while the other
> | two are attached through firewire ports.
> |
> | Any help would be greatly appreciated. I definitely don't want to reinstall
> | XP Pro if at all possible.
> |
> | Thanks,
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 0519-2, 05/12/2005
> Tested on: 5/13/2005 4:50:29 PM

Carey's post is from May 2005! She is long gone from the forum having not posted in nearly five years and you posted directly to her. Read the post date in the future. As far as the answer to the theme of this long ago dead thread, A proper device driver would have to be installed.

DaddySam

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I found out this happened after I had uninstalled the Logitech WebCam Software.
I re-installed it and my Scanner re-appeared properly in Device Manager.