THG's Power Consumption tests

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Power Supplies
  • Power Consumption
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 6, 2004 5:15:12 AM

Maybe I didn't read too well, but I don't quite understand the THG figures for the power consumption charts.

First of all, are those results of the entire system?
If so, then how come we're way below 300W, yet new video cards are recommended to be used with over 350W PSUs?

A side question: not being too updated on PSUs lately, any technology out that allows a software to read off the total power consumption of the PC? Or only a good UPS can?

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.php" target="_new"><font color=red><b>The THGC Photo Album revision Eden, faster updated than ever before!</A></b></font color=red>

More about : thg power consumption tests

September 6, 2004 9:36:26 AM

They don't actually...
My manual(Sparkle GeForce 6800 Manual) states 300Watt PSU for the 6800NU & 6800GT, and a 350 Watt PSU for the 6800Ultra...

Terracide - Forget about the "480 watt" myth...

Don't pretend - BE!
September 6, 2004 7:25:27 PM

Then what's THG's problem with stating stuff like "NVIDIA strongly suggests the use of a power supply with a minimum capacity of 480 Watts."?

I wish I could doubt the need for a shiny new 550W Enermax in my next system, but I'm still not yet convinced.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.php" target="_new"><font color=red><b>The THGC Photo Album revision Eden, faster updated than ever before!</A></b></font color=red>
Related resources
September 6, 2004 7:35:41 PM

I am seeing nothing. :eek:  where r the charts ?

<i> :evil:  <font color=blue>Futile is resistance,</font color=blue><font color=red> assimilate you we will.</font color=red> :evil:  </i>
<b>Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now.</b>
September 6, 2004 8:46:18 PM

Becuase before the launch of the 6800 series nVidia stated the "480 watt" claim, wich after launch have been revised to 300 watt(6800NU &6800GT) and 350watt(&800Ultra)...

Terracide - But some "myths" die hard...

Don't pretend - BE!
September 6, 2004 11:26:29 PM

Oh I see. Even though these cards the the most power consuming ones? And to think we'd be told to get a 350W PSU for a 9700PRO system back th en. :eek: 

--
September 6, 2004 11:27:35 PM

Check either the X800 or 6800 article from THG, they have power consumption charts.

My question though remains unanswered: are those figures actually of a total PC, and if so, what are its specs? Because they sure don't tread anywhere above 300W, which surprises me a lot that we're still in such an era despite the powerful computing we have.

--
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2004 1:20:35 AM

Hmm, so many problems, power supplies that can't put out more than half their rating reliably...so you buy twice what you need of a good one, just to find out you spent twice what you had to...etc.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2004 12:46:55 PM

You want to show some official nV literature where it's been revised?

No myth, nV is the one that provided the guidline, not anyone else. And their explanations were somewhat contradictory about power-hungry enthusiast rigs, and then about the quality of power supplies (like Crash eludes to), but if you're an enthusiast are you really putting in a no-name PSU in the first place?

In any case it's far from myth, which doesn't mean it isn't wrong in some cases.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2004 12:57:06 PM

<A HREF="http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040405/gddr-..." target="_new">Lars explained his methods</A> in his FX5700 GDDR3 review (I wonder who the readers asking for this were :wink: ). It's total consumption, but I'm not sure if the base is the same model or what he uses for the most recent reviews.

For the FX5700U-GDDR3 review he used;

Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz
FSB 200MHz
on an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe (i865)
Memory 4x Corsair CMX256A-3200LL (TWINX)
Seagate Barracude 7200.7 120GB S-ATA (8MB)
Hitachi GD-7000 optical drive.
Netgear FA-312 Ethernet
Antec True Control 550W PSU

His review may start from scratch with the specs within the review itself, which would make sense for the review, but not offer much in the way of comparison to older reviews.

As for your side question, not that I've seen. I have seen some rigs with Add is power consumption info, but it's usually connected to a whole system. CoolMaster has a case IIRC that has an analogue meter at the front for power draw. But I haven't seen a software only solution.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
September 7, 2004 4:53:57 PM

Thanks much Ape.

Didn't pay much attention to that review, so I didn't even know the GDDR-3 version actually HAD an advantage, power consumption lower! (about 15W less is pretty damn good for lower end cards)

And that system definitely is encouraging, because it is one of the most power drawing ones in the market anyways. At least, if you assume the newer figures with the 6800 Ultra show the system drawing overall 30-50W more. An Athlon 64 is generally less power hungry (weren't the figures around 70W? Any site with accurate power draw of each model?), which makes it all even better.
So now it comes down to whether it is worth the 550W PSU or going for around 480W. There's about a 60-70$ CDN difference.
If my system drew in total less than 400W with the next upgrade, and that included monitor (in that case it would be hard to believe it will), that would save me the need to get a better UPS. Got an APC 650VA 400W. Worried about overload effects.

--
!