installation source corrupt

when I try to install or upgrade my office program or my xp operating
system I receive an error message that reads " instalation source corrupted "

How are you upgrading Office (assuming this IS MS Office) ? a retail upgrade set of CDs?
Are the Office CDs are in good condition? or are they scratched or bruised?

Is there any reason to suspect faulty CD drive? Is that drive otherwise working OK?
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User