lsass.exe error cant log on Help

Hi today i had to restore my laptop to factory settings due to a previous
error and the laptop freezing i posted about that on another thread however
when i restored the laptop and started it up i kept getting the following
error

lsass.exe
When trying to update a password, this return status indicates that the
value provided as the current password is incorrect.

This message is up for a few seconds then the laptop will restart itself
then the message will appear again then restart itself etc etc and i cant
even get onto windows anyone got ideas as to the problem and what to do???
thank you in advance
5 answers Last reply
More about lsass error help

    Apparently, your PC has suffered a major security breech and is now
    infected with Malware ("The Sasser Worm") because:

    1. The latest Windows XP Critical Updates have apparently not been installed......
    2. The PC's firewall apparently has not been properly enabled.....
    3. Out-of-date or no antivirus program has been installed......

    If your computer is constantly attempting to shutdown
    or reboot, quickly go to:

    Start > Run and type: CMD , and hit enter.
    This opens the Command Prompt window.

    Then type: shutdown -a , and hit enter.

    This should halt the rebooting problem.

    Follow these directions to remove The Sasser Worm from your computer:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/sasser.htm

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Jupiter Jones]

    What You Should Know About Sasser
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.mspx

    A tool is available to remove the Sasser worm variants
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;841720

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    "Mark" wrote:

    | Hi today i had to restore my laptop to factory settings due to a previous
    | error and the laptop freezing i posted about that on another thread however
    | when i restored the laptop and started it up i kept getting the following
    | error
    |
    | lsass.exe
    | When trying to update a password, this return status indicates that the
    | value provided as the current password is incorrect.
    |

    | This message is up for a few seconds then the laptop will restart itself
    | then the message will appear again then restart itself etc etc and i cant
    | even get onto windows anyone got ideas as to the problem and what to do???
    | thank you in advance

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0519-2, 05/12/2005
    Tested on: 5/13/2005 9:17:49 PM

    Mark,

    I don't wish to disagree with Carey Frisch, especially since she appears to
    be someting with Microsoft, but I don't think your error is necessarily
    caused by the Sasser Worm. The reason I say that is because I have the same
    problem through a different route. In my case Windows wouldn't load, saying a
    system file was missing. I used the Windows Repair and Recovery console,
    found what I thought was a backup of the missing file, copied it into the
    right place and restarted. I then got the same error as you, and now I can't
    get into Repair and Recovery because it says I need an administrator
    password. My conclusion - I'm going to have to re-install Windows.

    Good luck with your problem.

    Dave

    "Mark" wrote:

    > Hi today i had to restore my laptop to factory settings due to a previous
    > error and the laptop freezing i posted about that on another thread however
    > when i restored the laptop and started it up i kept getting the following
    > error
    >
    > lsass.exe
    > When trying to update a password, this return status indicates that the
    > value provided as the current password is incorrect.
    >

    > This message is up for a few seconds then the laptop will restart itself
    > then the message will appear again then restart itself etc etc and i cant
    > even get onto windows anyone got ideas as to the problem and what to do???
    > thank you in advance

    Dave appears to have the same problem as me i cant use the cmd option that
    carey suggested because i cant even get onto windows now the error comes up
    and restarts my computer before that so do i have to use my laptops restore
    cd again???

    "Dave Sinfield" wrote:

    > Mark,
    >
    > I don't wish to disagree with Carey Frisch, especially since she appears to
    > be someting with Microsoft, but I don't think your error is necessarily
    > caused by the Sasser Worm. The reason I say that is because I have the same
    > problem through a different route. In my case Windows wouldn't load, saying a
    > system file was missing. I used the Windows Repair and Recovery console,
    > found what I thought was a backup of the missing file, copied it into the
    > right place and restarted. I then got the same error as you, and now I can't
    > get into Repair and Recovery because it says I need an administrator
    > password. My conclusion - I'm going to have to re-install Windows.
    >
    > Good luck with your problem.
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > "Mark" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi today i had to restore my laptop to factory settings due to a previous
    > > error and the laptop freezing i posted about that on another thread however
    > > when i restored the laptop and started it up i kept getting the following
    > > error
    > >
    > > lsass.exe
    > > When trying to update a password, this return status indicates that the
    > > value provided as the current password is incorrect.
    > >

    > > This message is up for a few seconds then the laptop will restart itself
    > > then the message will appear again then restart itself etc etc and i cant
    > > even get onto windows anyone got ideas as to the problem and what to do???
    > > thank you in advance

    Hi,

    It may be a registry problem, as you did a clean installation. This article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316134 indicates that this can occur if
    the system is rebooted before activation completes. If your original
    settings do not include a Service Pack, you should install one of them
    immediately after using the restoration disks.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Dave appears to have the same problem as me i cant use the cmd option that
    > carey suggested because i cant even get onto windows now the error comes
    > up
    > and restarts my computer before that so do i have to use my laptops
    > restore
    > cd again???
    >
    > "Dave Sinfield" wrote:
    >
    >> Mark,
    >>
    >> I don't wish to disagree with Carey Frisch, especially since she appears
    >> be someting with Microsoft, but I don't think your error is necessarily
    >> caused by the Sasser Worm. The reason I say that is because I have the
    >> same
    >> problem through a different route. In my case Windows wouldn't load,
    >> saying a
    >> system file was missing. I used the Windows Repair and Recovery console,
    >> found what I thought was a backup of the missing file, copied it into the
    >> right place and restarted. I then got the same error as you, and now I
    >> can't
    >> get into Repair and Recovery because it says I need an administrator
    >> password. My conclusion - I'm going to have to re-install Windows.
    >>
    >> Good luck with your problem.
    >>
    >> Dave
    >>
    >> "Mark" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi today i had to restore my laptop to factory settings due to a
    >> > previous
    >> > error and the laptop freezing i posted about that on another thread
    >> > however
    >> > when i restored the laptop and started it up i kept getting the
    >> > following
    >> > error
    >> >
    >> > lsass.exe
    >> > When trying to update a password, this return status indicates that the
    >> > value provided as the current password is incorrect.
    >> >

    >> > This message is up for a few seconds then the laptop will restart
    >> > itself
    >> > then the message will appear again then restart itself etc etc and i
    >> > cant
    >> > even get onto windows anyone got ideas as to the problem and what to
    >> > do???
    >> > thank you in advance

    Mark,

    I suspect if you try to use the restore cd to go into the repair and
    recovery console it will ask you for an administrators password, which you
    probably don't know. There is a way of setting this to blank, which I am
    probably going to try tonight or tomorrow. Let me know whether I'm right
    about the adninistrator password thing, as it will help me diagnose my
    problem.

    Cheers

    Dave

    "Mark" wrote:

    > Dave appears to have the same problem as me i cant use the cmd option that
    > carey suggested because i cant even get onto windows now the error comes up
    > and restarts my computer before that so do i have to use my laptops restore
    > cd again???
    >
    > "Dave Sinfield" wrote:
    >
    > > Mark,
    > >
    > > I don't wish to disagree with Carey Frisch, especially since she appears to
    > > be someting with Microsoft, but I don't think your error is necessarily
    > > caused by the Sasser Worm. The reason I say that is because I have the same
    > > problem through a different route. In my case Windows wouldn't load, saying a
    > > system file was missing. I used the Windows Repair and Recovery console,
    > > found what I thought was a backup of the missing file, copied it into the
    > > right place and restarted. I then got the same error as you, and now I can't
    > > get into Repair and Recovery because it says I need an administrator
    > > password. My conclusion - I'm going to have to re-install Windows.
    > >
    > > Good luck with your problem.
    > >
    > > Dave
    > >
    > > "Mark" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi today i had to restore my laptop to factory settings due to a previous
    > > > error and the laptop freezing i posted about that on another thread however
    > > > when i restored the laptop and started it up i kept getting the following
    > > > error
    > > >
    > > > lsass.exe
    > > > When trying to update a password, this return status indicates that the
    > > > value provided as the current password is incorrect.
    > > >

    > > > This message is up for a few seconds then the laptop will restart itself
    > > > then the message will appear again then restart itself etc etc and i cant
    > > > even get onto windows anyone got ideas as to the problem and what to do???
    > > > thank you in advance

Laptops Factory Restore Microsoft Lsass.Exe Windows XP