basic problem?

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

This is my first attempt at wireless, so hopefully this is a basic problem
that's easily solved.

I have two computers and want to share internet access. I'm using a Linksys
Wireless-B router and Wireless-B USB adapter. The router is BEFW11S4 and
the USB adapter is WUSB11. The router has an Internet port and four RJ-45
ports in addition to the wireless connection. I have Roadrunner cable modem
which connects to the Internet port on the router. Both computers get
high-speed access when they are connected to the router by cable, but when I
connect one of them by the wireless USB adapter, it's slow compared to using
the cable. Specifically, They get about 2700 Kbps on the cable, and about
300 Kbps on the wireless.

I know that Wireless-G is faster than Wireless-B, so maybe using -G would
solve the problem. But it doesn't seem like it should, because the (up to)
11 Mbps of Wireless-B should easily handle the cable modem speed, especially
when the two computers are rarely used at the same time.

Someone please set me straight about all this and tell me how to get
high-speed access over the Wireless-B. Thanks in advance.

Brad

"Brad" <dfeinner@socal.rr.com> wrote in news:AmObc.34000$Xd1.26776
@twister.socal.rr.com:

> I know that Wireless-G is faster than Wireless-B, so maybe using -G would
> solve the problem.

802.11B is fast enough for high-speed cable.

You should be able to sustain at least 3 - 4mbps on 802.11b.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)