Study: Netbook Buyers Clueless About Netbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL

This just in! The majority of computer purchasers don't know much about the technical details of computers! in a recent study, Common Sense Laboratories conducted a clinical test to see how many computer shoppers knew the difference between Hard Drive space and Memory. In a shocking set of statistical data, CSL determined that the vast majority of folks buying new computers didn't understand how to differentiate between the internal components and what they do, let alone the difference between brands and models of CPUs.

Like this is a big surprise? Let's face it, most folks don't know the stuff the average Tom's Hardware reader should know. Every computer (Netbook or not) is hyped up to be the best thing since sliced bread. So most folks figure whatever they buy should perform well. Little do they know there's a big difference between a $200 - $300 Netbook to a custom built gaming PC which only cost $1,000.

G

I bought this $200 computer to play Crysis, and I must say that I am VERY DISAPPOINTED.

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Meh, their fault. Gotta learn to exploit the (stupid) general public. Hey, that's how people get rich. Now if only there was no such thing as tax and it was every man for himself...

IronRyan21

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Of Course! Netbook Buyers dont know anything. 6 months ago I bought a notebook from a now deceased electronics store for $499 after rebate, with specs: 17 inch Toshiba, Pentium D 2.0 Ghz 160 GB HDD.... way better than a netbook and almost the same cost. F**K NETBOOKS.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]IronRyan21[/nom]Of Course! Netbook Buyers dont know anything. 6 months ago I bought a notebook from a now deceased electronics store for $499 after rebate, with specs: 17 inch Toshiba, Pentium D 2.0 Ghz 160 GB HDD.... way better than a netbook and almost the same cost. F**K NETBOOKS.[/citation]

Apparently you are not old enough to not feel like to carry a 8lb laptop for job-related travels.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
So they buy a $300 computer instead of a $600 or $800 computer, then they are surprised when it isn't as powerful? Very funny. Maybe they aren't smart enough to own a computer.

G

By today's standards, 80%+ of people (my best guess) don't even need that much performance. Most people are doing nearly the same thing they were doing 9 years ago on their Pentium 3's.

That being said, I recently bought my second netbook (my first being the ASUS EEE 701). The new one is a Lenovo S10e, with a 160GB HDD, Atom N270, and an Intel GMA 950 onboard video. I currently have Windows 7 running the Aero interface fluidly. Fades in and out are perfectly smooth, and video playback is perfectly smooth as well. Bought an external DVD-RW that also works perfectly well, and I get 3h 45m on a 3-cell battery to boot. The bluetooth module was $15 shipped off ebay, and I now use it to connect to my Palm Centro as a modem.

160GB and runs Windows 7 aero interface without any hickups or lag? Sounds plenty powerful for me. It has an express card slot, card reader, and my only gripe is the 2 usb ports.

Using an external monitor, I can even run some mild photoshop, illustrator, indesign, and acrobat work.

Sure, a C2D notebook would be faster, but for the vast majority of people, its yesterday's desktop weighing in at 2.75 pounds with a near 4 hour battery life. I wouldn't use it as a business notebook (being a field technician), as I need a bit more power for what I do, but when I'm not at work, I hardly ever find myself needing more performance.

Best of all, I paid $330 + tax.

No, netbooks aren't notebooks, but for the 80% of consumers, it certainly does nearly everything you want it to.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
While I agree that a consumer that chooses to remain ignorant of the details of their purchase fall into the "buyer beware" category, I think they do not share the responsibility for poor purchase decisions alone - intentionally deceptive sales practices (and sales staff) also bear some of the burden.

However, I am not surprised that the typical consumer has no idea what they are buying - if they did, half of the junk that is on the market wouldn't be there at all!

erikstarcher

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
No surprise there. Most people don't know the difference between a hard drive, modem and a computer. I work at a retail store that does sales and service, and people call all of the time to check and see if their modem or hard drive is fixed yet and ready for pickup. We also get people in all of the time looking to spend $200 on a used laptop and then complain that it is slow, and didn't come with office on it.

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
My mother was buying laptops for christmas for my neices, ages 13 and 15. I suggested that she buy netbooks, and save 150 dollars each. I'm sure most folks here know how frustrating it is to be asked for computer advice and then be ignored once given. So, my sister and one of my neices got a toshiba satelite with vista for 500, and they hate them because I have to come and fix the wireless driver every 3 months and its so bloated with extra crap that its a bit sluggish. I got an aspire one and my other niece saw it and wanted her own, so she bought one with her own money and she loves it.
Some folks don't like netbooks and I understand. Personally, I like my desktops to be powerful and my laptops to be portable. For the same price I can buy a laptop that does both fairly well but not as good as two purpose built devices.

Heh that's funny, but not surprising. Netbooks have thier uses, but I guess there isn't really any effort to educate people on just what a netbook is. If they had just stuck to Linux for netbooks then people would be like, "oh, it's one of those little things that doesn't run windows but isn't a mac".

aspireonelover

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
lol, it's funny how some (more like 60%) people don't have a clue about netbooks.
All the people in my school who bought netbooks said "Oh, their really cute and small."
and then the next day, they walk up to me saying, "Hey Jeff, can you put this CD on your comp?" then my replied would be "It's a netbook, it has no CD drive on it whatsoever."
Then, they would want to edit movies on my netbook, then they ask again "Jeff, why is your comp so slow?!" then again, my reply was "It's a netbook, what do you expect?"
I bought it because I knew that it would be useful. I used it for school, and I am 150% satisfied with my aspire one. I LOVE NETBOOKS! (although they're weak, but that's why I have a gaming desktop to serve that purpose (you know, games, movie editing))
Netbooks trade off performance for a longer battery life. Keep in mind, my battery lasts around 5 hours, and school lasts 6 hours. But it's ok, I have 2 batteries. ;)
Just sharin' my story.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
I have an eeePC 900A that *only* makes it's way out of the house. I work as a field engineer and I use it tethered to my mobile phone to keep on top of things when I'm away from my home office... which is about 80% of the time. Email and word processing, that's what it's there for, and it's perfect for it.

joshthor

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
[citation][nom]chaohsiangchen[/nom]Apparently you are not old enough to not feel like to carry a 8lb laptop for job-related travels.[/citation]

eh, i carry a 6 lb notebook and about 15 lbs of books each day, its not too bad.

Lans

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
60-percent of netbook owners admitted to have never taken their computers out of their homes

Totally not surprised by that. I still think that 60% should just have bought a $400~$500 that is well within the range of most netbooks in term of price, hands down beat a netbook in performance, and oh... it got a blue-ray drive (or at least a DVD writer). It is lot heavier but why do you care when it just stays home all the time? Actually even a used ~$250 notebook probably still faster than a netbook.

As for the 40%, a netbook is probably fine or better for them depending on what they need.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]chaohsiangchen[/nom]Apparently you are not old enough to not feel like to carry a 8lb laptop for job-related travels.[/citation]

Exactly: 2.5lbs is key... along with the ability to fit entirely within the glovebox of a VW ;-)

[citation][nom]IronRyan21[/nom]Of Course! Netbook Buyers dont know anything. 6 months ago I bought a notebook from a now deceased electronics store for $499 after rebate, with specs: 17 inch Toshiba, Pentium D 2.0 Ghz 160 GB HDD.... way better than a netbook and almost the same cost. F**K NETBOOKS.[/citation]

LOL a Pentium D in a laptop, that will fry your balls instantly.

G

I wonder where they get their numbers from...

But it's a typical result of the consumerism in the USA!
"I wanna buy a netbook; I don't know what a netbook is, but I wanna have it! And if it does not perform like my newly bought quadcore, I'll bash it!"

It should serve as a lesson to first investigate what it is that you need, then search for prices, and only then purchase it! If you really don't know anything about it, seek help from a friend who might know something about it; but then again, perhaps we 're living in times where it's hard to find a friend who does not advise with alternate motives in mind!

Shows something is seriously wrong with this generation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS