Resolution Display Problems - Help Required.

Hello;
I was playing a full-screen game when it crashed, leaving my computer in the
games default resolution which was far too big for my own liking. I changed
the display resolution as you would normally (Properties > Settings > Screen
Resolution), the display was still looking mucked up so I chose to restart my
computer. When my computer tried to reboot, it only got as far as the XP
light started flashing, on the black screen a blue box appeared which said
“Self Diagnostic: PC DISPLAY SETTINGS CORRECT?� – I wasn’t sure what to do
here and after only a few seconds the box goes away. Everytime I try to
reboot my computer manually this comes up and I really need to access my
computer properly.. I tried all the usual things like pressing “Y� or “Y-E-S�
or “N� and such forth, as well as “CTRL+ALT+DEL� and “ALT+F4�. I’m not
getting anywhere so I was hoping that somebody could help me out.

Somehow I managed to bypass this screen once, but I have no idea how – and,
when I restarted again later on, the same problem arose.

Thanks a lot.
4 answers Last reply
More about resolution display problems required

    Andrew, rt click on Desktop>select Properties>Settings>Advanced>General
    Tab>click on Apply new Display Settings
    without Restarting.
    "Andrew Milne" <Andrew Milne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello;
    > I was playing a full-screen game when it crashed, leaving my computer in
    > the
    > games default resolution which was far too big for my own liking. I
    > changed
    > the display resolution as you would normally (Properties > Settings >
    > Screen
    > Resolution), the display was still looking mucked up so I chose to restart
    > my
    > computer. When my computer tried to reboot, it only got as far as the XP
    > light started flashing, on the black screen a blue box appeared which said
    > "Self Diagnostic: PC DISPLAY SETTINGS CORRECT?" - I wasn't sure what to do
    > here and after only a few seconds the box goes away. Everytime I try to
    > reboot my computer manually this comes up and I really need to access my
    > computer properly.. I tried all the usual things like pressing "Y" or
    > "Y-E-S"
    > or "N" and such forth, as well as "CTRL+ALT+DEL" and "ALT+F4". I'm not
    > getting anywhere so I was hoping that somebody could help me out.
    >
    > Somehow I managed to bypass this screen once, but I have no idea how -
    > and,
    > when I restarted again later on, the same problem arose.
    >
    > Thanks a lot.

    Thanks Rich Barry but I'm not sure you understand my situation... I can't get
    my computer past startup - I never have an opertunity to go properties,
    settings, advanced, general, apply new display settings without restarting.

    The only thing I can do is get into safe mode by pressing F8 before the
    black screen shows up - I changed the settings there, saved without
    restarting and then tried restarting normally but no can do; it reverted to
    its problematic ways.

    If you can get into Safe Mode, you will need to go into your device manager,
    and uninstall your video card drivers. Install the STANDARD drivers
    supplied by Microsoft. Once this is done, you should be able to reboot your
    computer normally, however your display resolution will be very large like
    you originally said...

    Once rebooted normally, you will now need to go back and reinstall the
    proper video drivers for your particular video card. By the sounds of it,
    one or more of your driver files ended up getting corrupted during the
    freeze...

    Hope this clears up your problems...

    > Thanks Rich Barry but I'm not sure you understand my situation... I can't
    get
    > my computer past startup - I never have an opertunity to go properties,
    > settings, advanced, general, apply new display settings without
    restarting.

    > The only thing I can do is get into safe mode by pressing F8 before the
    > black screen shows up - I changed the settings there, saved without
    > restarting and then tried restarting normally but no can do; it reverted
    > its problematic ways.

    Andrew, while in Safe Mode try Start>run type: msconfig Select
    Boot.ini and see if BaseVideo is checked. If yes,
    uncheck it. Under General Tab select Normal Startup Click Apply Ok.

    "Andrew Milne" <Andrew Milne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello;
    > I was playing a full-screen game when it crashed, leaving my computer in
    > the
    > games default resolution which was far too big for my own liking. I
    > changed
    > the display resolution as you would normally (Properties > Settings >
    > Screen
    > Resolution), the display was still looking mucked up so I chose to restart
    > my
    > computer. When my computer tried to reboot, it only got as far as the XP
    > light started flashing, on the black screen a blue box appeared which said
    > "Self Diagnostic: PC DISPLAY SETTINGS CORRECT?" - I wasn't sure what to do
    > here and after only a few seconds the box goes away. Everytime I try to
    > reboot my computer manually this comes up and I really need to access my
    > computer properly.. I tried all the usual things like pressing "Y" or
    > "Y-E-S"
    > or "N" and such forth, as well as "CTRL+ALT+DEL" and "ALT+F4". I'm not
    > getting anywhere so I was hoping that somebody could help me out.
    >
    > Somehow I managed to bypass this screen once, but I have no idea how -
    > and,
    > when I restarted again later on, the same problem arose.
    >
    > Thanks a lot.

Computers Resolution Windows XP Displays