RFC: New pac multi game

As some of you know I'm working on a new kit. I can't go any further until
I finalize the lineup. Basically everything in the old one is in. But I've
doubled the space so there's a lot more room. I need suggestions for any
thing that runs on Pac hardware, any hacks etc. Don't worry, Make Trax
and Beastie Feasie are at the top of the list.

beastie feastie
make trax
lizard wizard
atlantic city action
jump shot
Pac to ladybug hack
naughty mouse
zigzag (no sound, may fix later, may remove it)
chicken
Death Derby
balloon ace
eggor
gorkans

I'm thinking of returning piranha and caterpillar that got pulled from the
old kit too. There's some other nice hacks like puckman renaissance and
pacman unleashed or pacmini.

Zigzag was an experiment in porting games from galaxian hardware to pacman
hardware. It turned out ok, except there's too many sprites in zigzag and
the flicker is really annoying so I'm not sure I'm going to finish the
sound. I'd really like to port amidar but there's not enough ram unless I
change the hardware a bit.

I also need a name. Last time I just put it out there and waited a couple
of years to see what you guys called it. Mike thinks there must be a
better way to do that. :)

Pics are up on my website. Notice what I did with the 4 ribbon cables :)

Dave
www.widel.com

---

Are the old 96 in 1 kits going to be upgradable???? if the hardware is the
same except for the ROM??? That would be nice!

--

AF

D Widel wrote:
> As some of you know I'm working on a new kit. I can't go any further
until
> I finalize the lineup. Basically everything in the old one is in.
But I've
> doubled the space so there's a lot more room. I need suggestions for
any
> thing that runs on Pac hardware, any hacks etc. Don't worry, Make
Trax
> and Beastie Feasie are at the top of the list.
>
> beastie feastie
> make trax
> lizard wizard
> atlantic city action
> jump shot
> Pac to ladybug hack
> naughty mouse
> zigzag (no sound, may fix later, may remove it)
> chicken
> Death Derby
> balloon ace
> eggor
> gorkans
>
> I'm thinking of returning piranha and caterpillar that got pulled
from the
> old kit too. There's some other nice hacks like puckman renaissance
and
> pacman unleashed or pacmini.
>
> Zigzag was an experiment in porting games from galaxian hardware to
pacman
> hardware. It turned out ok, except there's too many sprites in
zigzag and
> the flicker is really annoying so I'm not sure I'm going to finish
the
> sound. I'd really like to port amidar but there's not enough ram
unless I
> change the hardware a bit.
>
> I also need a name. Last time I just put it out there and waited a
couple
> of years to see what you guys called it. Mike thinks there must be
> better way to do that. :)
>
> Pics are up on my website. Notice what I did with the 4 ribbon
cables :)

> Dave
> www.widel.com

I've bugged Mike in the past to get a variation of Pac-Man added but I
can't recall off hand what the ROM set was called - I'll check tonight
when I get home from work and will reply.

-Steve P.

"D Widel" <pacman@mailblocks.com> wrote in message
> Pics are up on my website. Notice what I did with the 4 ribbon cables :)

Hee-hee.... I recognize Exidy 440 hardware. ;-) How many signals did you
have to pick up from the CPU board? I think I wound up needing three to
avoid any hacks to the original hardware.

Pretty funny, we're almost exactly the same size. I suspect your empty
socket was the same as my unpopulated one-- EEPROM?
http://www.multigame.com/old_exidy.jpg

-Clay

"Arcadeforever" <ve3zxr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Are the old 96 in 1 kits going to be upgradable???? if the hardware is the
> same except for the ROM??? That would be nice!

No, sorry, I've added color proms. That's not a huge change but it's a pain
to do an upgrade for, lots of ribbon cables to solder etc. There are people
here who have the technical ability to hack them in and they are more than
welcome to, but don't expect much help on it.

Dave

---

How about a contest for the name? whomever picks a name that you chose
to use, get's thier multi board FOC. I think that will spark plenty of
suggestions.

For games I would like to see on the list:

Satans Hollow (I know the hardware is different, but the game was
still pretty simple. ANY chance of a port?

How about a TRUE classic.. one that SHOULD have made it to the arcades
but sadly never did --- Leisure Suit Larry ;)

Could make an "never released into the wild" menu for games like that.
There are so many kick ass old PC games that never made it to the big
time that would absolutly rock on a multigame. And most of them are
available for free download at this point and very easy to port.

Even a RPG would be nice :)

- Matt

Almost forgot.. I'd like to see a "serial killer pac" on the list. Easy
hack I think.

Pac is in normal mode.. then eats a power pill. Next the screen
flashes and a dark synthesized horror like melodt plays as the ghosts
eyes increase in size by at least 100% to show fear. Then pac is
wielding a crude axe swinging it in a two character motion object
sequence like the dude is swinging the mallett in donkey kong. When he
hits a ghost replace the dead ghost that floats away with the score to
a puddle of blood. A scream would help when they are axed :)

C'mon.. do it.. it would be too easy to make those changes to the
code. The sound would be the only challenge. I'm sure it can be sampled
:)

- Matt

"Clay Cowgill" <c.cowgill@comcast.net> wrote in message
> "D Widel" <pacman@mailblocks.com> wrote in message
> > Pics are up on my website. Notice what I did with the 4 ribbon cables
:)

> Hee-hee.... I recognize Exidy 440 hardware. ;-) How many signals did you
> have to pick up from the CPU board? I think I wound up needing three to
> avoid any hacks to the original hardware.
>
> Pretty funny, we're almost exactly the same size. I suspect your empty
> socket was the same as my unpopulated one-- EEPROM?
> http://www.multigame.com/old_exidy.jpg

You're right, that's exidy. The socket is for nvram. I allowed for up to
32K, but I think they each use just a fraction of the allotted 2k and I can
probably trim that way down. Actually I haven't programmed the cpld yet so
I don't know if it works at all. The timing may bite me in the end. I just
the other day got my jamma adapter built, and I still haven't gotten the gun
working correctly. I may have to get a happs gun and quit cobbling broken
exidy guns. I just wanted to put a pic up so people wouldn't think I'm
just talking out of my hat about working on it. I'm hoping I don't have to
have any signals on the cpu but that remains to be seen I guess. I'm going
to be duplicating some circuits in the cpld but I think that will work.
The audio subboard will definitely have to have some jumpers. I patched all
the games several years ago to run on a common platform but I'm hoping to be
able to handle most of that with the cpld. Worse case scenario and I can't
get it to work I'll go with plan B. A whole bag full of 27512's and jumper
wires. :) Of course that won't help anyone else but at least I'll have one
:)

Dave

---

> > Pretty funny, we're almost exactly the same size. I suspect your empty
> > socket was the same as my unpopulated one-- EEPROM?
> > http://www.multigame.com/old_exidy.jpg
>
> You're right, that's exidy. The socket is for nvram. I allowed for up to
> 32K, but I think they each use just a fraction of the allotted 2k and I
can
> probably trim that way down.[...] I'm hoping I don't have to
> have any signals on the cpu but that remains to be seen I guess.

Ahhh, so you intercepted some lines from the CPU to disable the drivers on
the main CPU? Makes sense, I didn't 'cause I was using all my CPLD up to do
the protection emulation. Going with the bigger part is smart... I had two
PALs + CPLD + discretes. I was trying to only use parts I was already
buying for other projects. ;-)

> The audio subboard will definitely have to have some jumpers. I patched
all
> the games several years ago to run on a common platform but I'm hoping to
be
> able to handle most of that with the cpld. Worse case scenario and I
can't
> get it to work I'll go with plan B. A whole bag full of 27512's and
jumper
> wires. :) Of course that won't help anyone else but at least I'll have
one

I did have my sound stuff fully working-- I had two cuts and one jumper, but
then like nine signals coming up from the board. Wasn't real happy about
that though... http://www.multigame.com/old_exidy_sound.jpg

-Clay

If you're looking at a custom job - I'd love to see the Pac-Man "after dark"
characters on a standard Pac-Man maze. I don't care for the maze in the
"after dark" ROM set but LOVE the character images!

--
-Steve P.

All messages are scanned with Norton Anti-Virus

"D Widel" <pacman@mailblocks.com> wrote in message
> As some of you know I'm working on a new kit. I can't go any further
> until
> I finalize the lineup. Basically everything in the old one is in. But
> I've
> doubled the space so there's a lot more room. I need suggestions for any
> thing that runs on Pac hardware, any hacks etc. Don't worry, Make Trax
> and Beastie Feasie are at the top of the list.
>
> beastie feastie
> make trax
> lizard wizard
> atlantic city action
> jump shot
> Pac to ladybug hack
> naughty mouse
> zigzag (no sound, may fix later, may remove it)
> chicken
> Death Derby
> balloon ace
> eggor
> gorkans
>
> I'm thinking of returning piranha and caterpillar that got pulled from the
> old kit too. There's some other nice hacks like puckman renaissance and
> pacman unleashed or pacmini.
>
> Zigzag was an experiment in porting games from galaxian hardware to pacman
> hardware. It turned out ok, except there's too many sprites in zigzag and
> the flicker is really annoying so I'm not sure I'm going to finish the
> sound. I'd really like to port amidar but there's not enough ram unless
> change the hardware a bit.
>
> I also need a name. Last time I just put it out there and waited a couple
> of years to see what you guys called it. Mike thinks there must be a
> better way to do that. :)
>
> Pics are up on my website. Notice what I did with the 4 ribbon cables :)
>
> Dave
> www.widel.com
>

> ---

Is Pac-Man Arrangement different hardware? That is an awesome game. What
is the Pac to LadyBug hack? I love LadyBug.

Dane.

"Dane L. Galden" <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote in message
> Is Pac-Man Arrangement different hardware? That is an awesome game. What
> is the Pac to LadyBug hack? I love LadyBug.

That's really different hardware.

The ladybug hack, I started with pacman and added the gates & skulls from
ladybug. I changed the ghosts to look like bugs and added a timer and
letter bonuses. I think you can download an earlier version of it for mame
from Kazzy http://www.powerstrike.net/hacks/

---

> "D Widel" <pacman@mailblocks.com> wrote in message
> > > Pretty funny, we're almost exactly the same size. I suspect your
empty
> > > socket was the same as my unpopulated one-- EEPROM?
> > > http://www.multigame.com/old_exidy.jpg
> >
> > You're right, that's exidy. The socket is for nvram. I allowed for up
> > 32K, but I think they each use just a fraction of the allotted 2k and I
> can
> > probably trim that way down.[...] I'm hoping I don't have to
> > have any signals on the cpu but that remains to be seen I guess.
>
> Ahhh, so you intercepted some lines from the CPU to disable the drivers on
> the main CPU? Makes sense, I didn't 'cause I was using all my CPLD up to
do
> the protection emulation. Going with the bigger part is smart... I had
two
> PALs + CPLD + discretes. I was trying to only use parts I was already
> buying for other projects. ;-)

Yes, I'm intercepting signals, and crossing my fingers the delay won't hurt
me. I'm hoping to use those dips to select which board you start with.but
for testing purposes I'm using them for the game bank select. I went with
a really big cpld as I figure the extra few bucks won't hurt me on a small
project like this if I waste half of it. I'm going to try to implement as
much of the protection in the cpld as possible and I'm not experienced
enough to estimate usage very well.

> > The audio subboard will definitely have to have some jumpers. I patched
> all
> > the games several years ago to run on a common platform but I'm hoping
> be
> > able to handle most of that with the cpld. Worse case scenario and I
> can't
> > get it to work I'll go with plan B. A whole bag full of 27512's and
> jumper
> > wires. :) Of course that won't help anyone else but at least I'll have
> one
>
> I did have my sound stuff fully working-- I had two cuts and one jumper,
but
> then like nine signals coming up from the board. Wasn't real happy about
> that though... http://www.multigame.com/old_exidy_sound.jpg

That looks a lot like mine too, except mines bigger I'm tapped into both
rows of eproms so I have 3 eproms on the board. Iirc I was just planning on
3 or 4 signals maybe but it's been a while since I looked at that. I
remember I thought it seemed pretty straight forward though. Worst case i
guess I just make the board huge, plug a pin into every socket in a row and
read every chip select. I can't see how that won't work, and I don't need
any user soldering..

Dave

---

That's a new idea, I don't think anyone's messed with Pac for the
powerpellet instead of the ghost changing. He could change into a spinning
circular saw blade and the ghost could not turn blue but looks scared like
you said. I like it, and it's easy enough to do.. I don't do sounds well
though. I could do a sawblade sound but a scream might be beyond me.

Basically any space game is impossible. There's only 6 sprites so a
shootemup will be you, a bullet and a menacing 4 aliens to shoot at. I was
able to get around that with SI by using background tiles, but those aliens
don't come at you except by jumping 8 pixels at a time.

A Scott Adams type text adventure might be kind of neat. It would
definitely be fairly easy to do and I was a pretty big fan of wizardry and
bards tale. A crude rpg like that seems like it would be fairly easy. I did
one in Pascal 22 years ago, but I don't think I still have the source code
;)

Dave

"Matty-t" <matthews@audio-doctors.com> wrote in message
> Almost forgot.. I'd like to see a "serial killer pac" on the list. Easy
> hack I think.
>
> Pac is in normal mode.. then eats a power pill. Next the screen
> flashes and a dark synthesized horror like melodt plays as the ghosts
> eyes increase in size by at least 100% to show fear. Then pac is
> wielding a crude axe swinging it in a two character motion object
> sequence like the dude is swinging the mallett in donkey kong. When he
> hits a ghost replace the dead ghost that floats away with the score to
> a puddle of blood. A scream would help when they are axed :)
>
> C'mon.. do it.. it would be too easy to make those changes to the
> code. The sound would be the only challenge. I'm sure it can be sampled
> :)
>
> - Matt

---

"vectrpac" is the set that I wanted - not after dark. :)

--
-Steve P.

All messages are scanned with Norton Anti-Virus

I would like to see a SIMPSONS pac hack. You could make pac man be
Bart and the ghosts could be the bullies. Or pac man could be Homer
and the ghosts could be Burns, Smithers, Flanders, etc. You get the
idea. The fruits could be Duff beer or other things from the show.
You could do a Ms Pac hack w/ Marge or Lisa as well. I just think that
would be cool to see. Also, because I love my Simpsons Pinball Party
pin so much, I think the name of the kit should be: Super Duper Mega
Extreme Multi Pac in honor of the Super Duper Mega Extreme Wizard Mode
on TSPP.

Robert