Sign in with
Your question

First X700 benchmarks?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2004 12:32:54 PM

I just saw this at EB;

<A HREF="http://www.pcpop.com/news/04/9/46199.shtml" target="_new">PCPOP has a few X700Pro vs GF6600/GT benchmarks up</A>.

It looks like this is going to be a VERY interesting mid-range market.

Interesting the gaps at high resolution, this occured with cards like the FX5950U/R9800XT in the comparisons. So there could be something to look for there. However this is a card clocked below 500mhz and with the memory below 900mhz effective. Likely the X700XT will see more exotic meory speeds and a core that at least matches the X600 IMO.

Can't wait for complete reviews to look for strengths and weaknesses, this should be good. :cool:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 

More about : x700 benchmarks

a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2004 2:59:19 PM

Thx for the link. Nice to see a few benchies anyway. Yeah, looks like the X700pro will be very respectable and the XT might take honors in this class (minus Doom 3 and COD of course).

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt
September 8, 2004 3:30:35 PM

As D3 is now gettin a bit old, and quite a lot of people have already played it and COD (not that I am saying its not played now) being ancient, ATI will have some better times. Anyway what language is on that page . Assuming its chinese, it seems Asian countires - the manufacturing ones - might already have samples of he X700. Just have to wait now till it comes to the US. Pro is already head on in that bench, so as u said XT might take the lead, well maybe not in D3.

<i> :evil:  <font color=blue>Futile is resistance,</font color=blue><font color=red> assimilate you we will.</font color=red> :evil:  </i>
<b>Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now.</b>
Related resources
September 8, 2004 4:14:14 PM

theres <A HREF="http://216.239.37.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://www.bo..." target="_new">this</A> another site that gives the same benchies. this seems to be the bodnara page. Its in Korean, so I guess as I said before Korea has the cards. Which manufacturers are Korean based ?

Has anybody read <A HREF="http://216.239.37.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://www.pc..." target="_new">this</A>:
"Radeon X700 XT , given rhythm with 500MHz, as much for the core as for the memory, should be proposed at a price bordering the 250 $, which is only one confirmation of our preceding information. The second chart is its Pro version , given rhythm with 420MHz for the VPU and 432MHz (which precision!) for the memory, announced at 199$. And finally the last chart at 149$, whose name starts and finished by X700 , will have only one memory with 300MHz (and 400MHz for the core)."

<i> :evil:  <font color=blue>Futile is resistance,</font color=blue><font color=red> assimilate you we will.</font color=red> :evil:  </i>
<b>Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now.</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by priyajeet on 09/08/04 11:18 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 8, 2004 4:43:51 PM

This is great. You gotta love this kind of power in the midrange.

You have to wonder how well the bargain-basement 6600's and X700's will do when overclocked.

September 8, 2004 4:46:59 PM

I really like the performance of the GeForce 6600 GTs. For $200, you can't beat what it gives you. The X700 looks good too, but the 6600 seems to be a little faster. I'd like to see some benchmarks comparing the two cards in Half-Life 2 though, as I will soon be buying a DX 9 video card for that game, and I won't be able to buy a $300 or $400 card, so these two cards are what I'd choose from.

--
"There's more to life than profits."
<font color=red>"Like what?"</font color=red>
"Like, you know, Slurpees and stuff."
<A HREF="http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/video/707/slur..." target="_new">South Park</A>
September 8, 2004 6:44:57 PM

Pretty much every review site already has the X700 series already...it's just a matter of time till NDA expires (it appears that one site didn't care much). INQ said later next week for NDA to end, but I've also seen the 22nd. Anybody else have any more info?

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.
September 8, 2004 6:47:05 PM

NDA - National Dance Association ???

September 8, 2004 6:48:57 PM

Non-disclosure agreement, IIRC. It means they can't say sh!t until that day (6600GT's date was the 7th).

September 8, 2004 6:49:52 PM

aah, thanks.

a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2004 7:34:10 PM

Yeah I think the cores will do great, but likely like the R9600 series these bastard 128bit (memory) cards will be memory starved, and likely the lower ones will get crap memory. As long as you're playing 1280x1024 with low candy, then they should be pretty close to each other, but turn things up and likely the OC'd low ends will have issues.

We'll see, but you're right, this could offer some tasty OCs. I'm just disapointed that [H] didn't benchmark their 560/600(1200) even if they asterixed that 'this is usual, etc' .

Both should be very nice, and this is all with no special process insulation (low-k), imagine 0.11 LOW-K parts. :evil: 

I also very much enjoy the fact that neither of these needs more power than is supplied by the PCIe! :cool:

These look like the perfect replacements for my R9600Pro.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2004 7:41:44 PM

Remember the card shown here is a PRO not the XT.

The question is whether the PRO is meant to compete against the GT (like in the top cards) or whether the X700XT is it's competition.

Botht the plain jane GF6600 and X700 sound like mediocre cards.

Anywhoo, it'll be sweet to see final results for both and remember the GT still has headroom so an Ultra version isn't out of the questions, just creates pricing issues like we saw with the FX5900XT and FX5700U.

September 8, 2004 9:02:08 PM

nVidia kinda already said that an Ultra was outta the question for the 6600 series. Something about wanting to keep the Ultra monicker to only the true top-of-the-line. However, if the X700XT whoops the GT, we may see an Ultra (PLEASE ATi, WHOOP THE GT!).

I agree though, once an Ultra is introduced, it'll be 6800nu vs. 6600U for the same price and varying performance...which nVidia probably doesn't want to do again.

September 9, 2004 3:59:25 AM

Heheh, the naming issue is gonna be intensified even more now!

Damn, now each range has 3 models. 3 years ago, we had three freakin' cards and that's it that's all!

geForce 3 Ti200, geForce 3 and geForce 3 Ti500, PERIOD!
The budget market had the geForce 2 MXs to play with, obviously, though for what is really known, those were it. Ayaya!

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.php" target="_new"><font color=red><b>The THGC Photo Album revision Eden, faster updated than ever before!</A></b></font color=red>
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2004 12:53:32 PM

Yeah, I know they don't have 'plans' to release an Ultra, but they likely didn't have plans to release an FX5600 Rev.2 or an FX5900XT either, if the XT does come out strong then the Ultra is a given IMO. Like you say whoop the GT, and push the mid-level to another new level.

The pricing right now for nV, IMO, is probably still a secondary concern, they have come out with solid products this round and it's time to rebuild their name. Expect to see alot of maneuvering by holiday shopping season.

a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2004 1:01:22 PM

Yeah, and even then it depends on how you look at each level.

Last round there were so many versions of the FX5900 (XT/SE/LE/EPV/etc.) that there were like 6-7 true differences in the top category. Then the DDR/DDR2/GDDR3 FX5700Ultras.

Now you have at least 5 in the top category (UltraExtreme, Ultra, GT, plain jane, LE) and 2 exposed so far mid range (no word on an SE).

You need a program to know all the players. And even then OEM/board-partners tweak the crap out of them and you may end up with +/- frequencies. And if you look at the GF6800 plain jane, you see that it comes in a few modes, underclocked 6 vertex shader, regular clocked 5 vertex shader, and regular clocked 4 vertex shader versions. So it really requires alot of study to know what you want or will be getting from anyone.

And while ATI doesn't have as many combinations, their partners can create 10 versions of any one card, especially Gag'n'Puke and PowerCrapper!

Well for the top end people, they should know better than to get confused, do your research on your $500 purchase, but the mid range people are once again going to get confused, especially anyone who expects a GF6600 plain jane to be anywhere near the caliber of the GF6600GT, and god help them if they release an SE/LE/etc. Same goes for any possible SE from ATI.

September 9, 2004 8:49:13 PM

Looks like the 6600gt is overall better performer which means ATI better give up on overpricing that card and BETTER NOT go over the current MSRP of the 9800pro. Pricing will be the key for the x700 and needs to be cheaper to give it a chance over the 6600gt.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2004 9:44:05 PM

Well the not finalized speed of the PRO performs lower than the GT, but the XT will be different (higher clocks 500+ core ??? memory). But yeah, prices better reflect competitor's prices, and it'll be nice to have a card without added power cables that can outperform the R9800 series.

September 9, 2004 11:55:27 PM

Thanks for the link. Nice read. Yup need more benchies.
More coming forthwit.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by HardwareBoss on 09/09/04 07:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b U Graphics card
September 10, 2004 12:03:18 PM

R9800non-Ultra?

Seriously Dude, back to the books, you're still rusty! :tongue:

a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2004 11:18:27 PM

Quote:
Pricing will be the key for the x700 and needs to be cheaper to give it a chance over the 6600gt.

Well it appears that the price of the X700XT will be the same as the GF6600GT, and it will likely far outperform the GF6600GT at equal clocks in all but D3. So it looks like there's a new mid-range fight brewing on the horizon. And based on some of the overclocks of the X300 and GF6600GT, I expect these cards to offer some nice OC presents similar to the R9600Pro.

Here's the pricing info from the InQuirer;
<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18474" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18474&lt;/A>

a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2004 12:11:41 AM

Hey dang for that price it's exactly the same as my R9600Pro, the question is will the CDN pricing reflect the positive change in the Value of the dollar?

I won't hold my breath, $299 CDN has a better marketing ring to them (despite the F'in GST and PST ontop of that!).

September 17, 2004 1:06:46 AM

There is always mid-range compitetion since thats their bulk of their profits would come from. Very few will be able to afford or want to spend top dollar on those high-end cards. GO ATI!!!

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>
!