Simone

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2004

When starting the computer we get this message that goes something like this:

windows/system32/config/system is corrupt, you can attempt to repair this
file by starting windows setup using the original cd-rom, select 'r' at the
first screen to start repair.

When selecting 'r' at the first screen it restarts the computer and will not
allow us to enter the setup screen to repair/replace the system file. We
have also selected several other buttons and get the same result. How can we
get into the setup area?

Hi Simone,

If you are agreeing to the license (by hitting F8) and trying to repair the
existing installation by hitting 'r' then you are going too far into the
booted CD. You want to hit 'r' as soon as the initial setup files have been
copied. Then use the steps here:

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry [Q307545]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Simone wrote:
> When starting the computer we get this message that goes something like this:
>
> windows/system32/config/system is corrupt, you can attempt to repair this
> file by starting windows setup using the original cd-rom, select 'r' at the
> first screen to start repair.
>
> When selecting 'r' at the first screen it restarts the computer and will not
> allow us to enter the setup screen to repair/replace the system file. We
> have also selected several other buttons and get the same result. How can we
> get into the setup area?

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
Starting
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:

How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

"Simone" <Simone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When starting the computer we get this message that goes something like
> this:
>
> windows/system32/config/system is corrupt, you can attempt to repair this
> file by starting windows setup using the original cd-rom, select 'r' at
> the
> first screen to start repair.
>
> When selecting 'r' at the first screen it restarts the computer and will
> not
> allow us to enter the setup screen to repair/replace the system file. We
> have also selected several other buttons and get the same result. How can
> we
> get into the setup area?

try Start/run/sfc /scannow
and have your windows disk ready
Alasdair

Alasdair wrote:

> try Start/run/sfc /scannow
> and have your windows disk ready
> Alasdair

And how is the OP to do this, when he cannot boot into Windows? More
importantly, how would running the system file checker remedy a
corrupted registry?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: