Popeye - JAMMA?

I got a lead on a Popeye game by Nintendo - haven't had a chance to
open up the back and take a look yet. Just wondering if it's a JAMMA
and if not, how hard would it be to convert? Has anyone done it? Will
that type of monitor work for standard JAMMA games? Also does anyone
know who built these for Nintendo? Thanks,

-Dave
11 answers Last reply
More about popeye jamma

    Well it is definitely not JAMMA. As for how hard to convert.. not
    sure, never done it. Probably not terribly hard as conversions go

    heres a custom pcb with inverted video.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6173752386

    No - not JAMMA (if it's original). Uses a video inverter (otherwise the
    graphics would look like a color photographic negative) and external audio
    amp. There IS a JAMMA adapter however - Clay Cowgill makes one for DK which
    I once used to test my Popeye PCB: www.multigame.com

    But note: if you plan on using the original monitor (Sanyo 20EZ or similar)
    it has the video inverter on board, so any other JAMMA board you hook up
    will look screwy. Which leaves you with Donkey Kong, DK Jr., and Mario Bros
    = and you'll either need to rotate the monitor 90 degress or mod the control
    panel for Mario Bros. May be others, but I sold my Nintendo (Popeye) cab
    off last year so didn't really read up on that much.

    "dbpbandit" <davep@premierbev.com> wrote in message
    >I got a lead on a Popeye game by Nintendo - haven't had a chance to
    > open up the back and take a look yet. Just wondering if it's a JAMMA
    > and if not, how hard would it be to convert? Has anyone done it? Will
    > that type of monitor work for standard JAMMA games? Also does anyone
    > know who built these for Nintendo? Thanks,
    >
    > -Dave

    (waves hand slowly in front of your face) This is not the cabinet you are
    looking for.

    Move along.

    (Getting psyched for Star Wars)
    -roy-

    micrologix1500@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Well it is definitely not JAMMA. As for how hard to convert.. not
    > sure, never done it. Probably not terribly hard as conversions go

    Yeah but remember if it's still a Popeye that it's Nintendo and hence,
    it'll have inverted video.

    --
    Dave Bush <statman.onay.pamsay@twcny.rr.com>

    Remove the pig Latin to reply.

    DFrance wrote:
    > No - not JAMMA (if it's original). Uses a video inverter (otherwise the
    > graphics would look like a color photographic negative) and external audio
    > amp. There IS a JAMMA adapter however - Clay Cowgill makes one for DK which
    > I once used to test my Popeye PCB: www.multigame.com

    I've got one that I got off eBay - not Clay's - I honestly forget who
    made it, but it's nice.

    My Mario Bros. board isn't working, so I have one of two options - get
    the Mario Bros. board fixed or sell this adapter. Anyone repair Mario
    Bros. boards?

    --
    Dave Bush <statman.onay.pamsay@twcny.rr.com>

    Remove the pig Latin to reply.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    http://www.brasington.org/arcade/

    Try Scott.

    Brent
    "Dave Bush" <statman.onay.pamsay@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
    > DFrance wrote:
    > > No - not JAMMA (if it's original). Uses a video inverter (otherwise the
    > > graphics would look like a color photographic negative) and external
    audio
    > > amp. There IS a JAMMA adapter however - Clay Cowgill makes one for DK
    which
    > > I once used to test my Popeye PCB: www.multigame.com
    >
    > I've got one that I got off eBay - not Clay's - I honestly forget who
    > made it, but it's nice.
    >
    > My Mario Bros. board isn't working, so I have one of two options - get
    > the Mario Bros. board fixed or sell this adapter. Anyone repair Mario
    > Bros. boards?
    >
    > --
    > Dave Bush <statman.onay.pamsay@twcny.rr.com>
    >
    > Remove the pig Latin to reply.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Hey, I have one of those. Anyone have the pinouts?

    Scott C.

    arcadeguy wrote:
    > heres a custom pcb with inverted video.
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6173752386

  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 00:44:31 GMT, Scott Caldwell
    <lscottcaldwell@excite.com> wrote:

    >Hey, I have one of those. Anyone have the pinouts?
    >
    >Scott C.
    >
    >arcadeguy wrote:
    >> heres a custom pcb with inverted video.
    >>
    >> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6173752386

    Custom? You mean BOOTLEG. :)

    - Mike -
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Well, I didn't get the game. Apparently the guys son had already sold
    it to someone else and when I went to go get it, it was gone. Just
    another case of "the one that got away"

    -Dave
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    :x

    no such word as "bootleg" its just a variation of the origanala much
    like a "clone".

    ya thats it!

Games Nintendo Video Games