Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 9800pro - Artifacts on screen, messed up

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 8, 2004 5:18:01 PM

I have a Radeon 9800pro. I have just installed it. (It is a refurbished unit from Newegg. I know, not smart, but I hoped to get a good deal. Already sent back the refurbished 9700pro.) I am getting really weird artifacts on the screen.
Even in Windows it is not displaying correctly. They appear as short horizontal lines, apparently randomly scattered. When I move windows around, they get steadily worse until unreadable. Some icons look a little weird. I cannot play games at all, the whole screen is garbled.

I have the latest Drivers for the card, for my motherboard, latest BIOS, AGP fast-writes is off. I have tried everything I have found on the forums. Do you think my card is broken? Do you have any advice?

I suppose power supply is possibly an issue. I have a 300W Antec, with the card plugged into it directly. What do problems with not enough power look like?

AMD AthlonXP 2800+
Abit NF7-S2 (nforce 2)
512 MB DDR
Radeon 9800pro 128MB
Windows XP SP2
September 8, 2004 6:06:44 PM

Inadequate PSU problems will usually manifest themselves with black screens and reboots (and In extreme cases with very cheap PSUs, explosions and component death :smile: ), so I don't think you have a power issue.

Hmm.. might possibly be slight damage from excessive overclocking by previous owners...

Does the damage happen straight away from a cold boot, or does it happen after a while? If it takes a while then maybe it's a heat issue - what are your Case temps like?

If it's still duff & temps are ok, , I'd send it back if you can. if that's not an option then try <i>under</i>clocking it to see if you can banish the artifacts...

---
Epox 8RDA+ V1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @200x10 (~2Ghz), 1.4 Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL/1x512Mb Corsair XMS PC4000 2.5-3-3-7
Sapphire 9800Pro (VGA Silencer Rev3) @418/742
September 8, 2004 8:01:35 PM

Thanks Chipdeath. Sounds like you have the right name for my problem! I am going to send it back if it won't run normally. I don't want to have to underclock it.

The problem happens from the outset. I actually can see it in the BIOS sometimes. So its not heat. I think I got another lemon. Makes me mad that they will just turn around and resell items...obviously the person returned the card for a reason. I figured they actually "tested" them.
!