Radeon 9800pro - Artifacts on screen, messed up

I have a Radeon 9800pro. I have just installed it. (It is a refurbished unit from Newegg. I know, not smart, but I hoped to get a good deal. Already sent back the refurbished 9700pro.) I am getting really weird artifacts on the screen.
Even in Windows it is not displaying correctly. They appear as short horizontal lines, apparently randomly scattered. When I move windows around, they get steadily worse until unreadable. Some icons look a little weird. I cannot play games at all, the whole screen is garbled.

I have the latest Drivers for the card, for my motherboard, latest BIOS, AGP fast-writes is off. I have tried everything I have found on the forums. Do you think my card is broken? Do you have any advice?

I suppose power supply is possibly an issue. I have a 300W Antec, with the card plugged into it directly. What do problems with not enough power look like?

AMD AthlonXP 2800+
Abit NF7-S2 (nforce 2)
512 MB DDR
Radeon 9800pro 128MB
Windows XP SP2
2 answers Last reply
More about radeon 9800pro artifacts screen messed
  1. Inadequate PSU problems will usually manifest themselves with black screens and reboots (and In extreme cases with very cheap PSUs, explosions and component death :smile: ), so I don't think you have a power issue.

Hmm.. might possibly be slight damage from excessive overclocking by previous owners...

Does the damage happen straight away from a cold boot, or does it happen after a while? If it takes a while then maybe it's a heat issue - what are your Case temps like?

If it's still duff & temps are ok, , I'd send it back if you can. if that's not an option then try <i>under</i>clocking it to see if you can banish the artifacts...

---
    Epox 8RDA+ V1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
    XP1700+ @200x10 (~2Ghz), 1.4 Vcore
    2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL/1x512Mb Corsair XMS PC4000 2.5-3-3-7
    Sapphire 9800Pro (VGA Silencer Rev3) @418/742
  2. Thanks Chipdeath. Sounds like you have the right name for my problem! I am going to send it back if it won't run normally. I don't want to have to underclock it.

The problem happens from the outset. I actually can see it in the BIOS sometimes. So its not heat. I think I got another lemon. Makes me mad that they will just turn around and resell items...obviously the person returned the card for a reason. I figured they actually "tested" them.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Radeon Graphics