Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Wireless Connection Lost after Reboot

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
March 2, 2005 1:28:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Sorry for x-posting but I wanted to get maximum coverage for this post as
it's really annoying me.

I have a Dell laptop (Latitude D800) with built-in b/g wireless (Dell
TrueMobile 1300) and a Linksys WAP11 Access Point.

On my AP I have WEP swtched on, MAC filtering enabled, and I have disabled
SSID broadcast. I also use static IPs and have DHCP disabled for maximum
security.

They have always worked great together.

Last weekend I formatted my laptop to clean it up and I wanted to install
SP2 (it's Windows XP Pro by the way). Also installed the latest drivers for
my hardware from Dell.

After the format I am unable to connect to the wireless LAN unless I enable
SSID broadcast (which I obviously don't want to do).

If I turn on SSID broadcast, my connection works instantly. I can then
disable SSID broadcast and it continues to work.

However, as soon as I reboot the laptop, my connection is lost and I can't
get it back without re-enabling SSID broadcast.

I have tried it with Dell's software managing the wireless connection and
with SP2 managing the connection. I have even uninstalled all the dell
sofwtware except the driver needed for the hardware and still I get the same
problem.

I don't think it's the Access Point, as I have another laptop with a Linksys
PCMCIA card in and that works fine with the SSID broadcast disabled.

Has anyone got any advice please?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 2, 2005 1:35:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Have you set up your SSID, AP, in your prefered networks window to connect
automatically?


Robert....

"K" <@.> wrote in message
news:Y%5Vd.208704$B8.122965@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Sorry for x-posting but I wanted to get maximum coverage for this post as
> it's really annoying me.
>
> I have a Dell laptop (Latitude D800) with built-in b/g wireless (Dell
> TrueMobile 1300) and a Linksys WAP11 Access Point.
>
> On my AP I have WEP swtched on, MAC filtering enabled, and I have disabled
> SSID broadcast. I also use static IPs and have DHCP disabled for maximum
> security.
>
> They have always worked great together.
>
> Last weekend I formatted my laptop to clean it up and I wanted to install
> SP2 (it's Windows XP Pro by the way). Also installed the latest drivers
> for my hardware from Dell.
>
> After the format I am unable to connect to the wireless LAN unless I
> enable SSID broadcast (which I obviously don't want to do).
>
> If I turn on SSID broadcast, my connection works instantly. I can then
> disable SSID broadcast and it continues to work.
>
> However, as soon as I reboot the laptop, my connection is lost and I can't
> get it back without re-enabling SSID broadcast.
>
> I have tried it with Dell's software managing the wireless connection and
> with SP2 managing the connection. I have even uninstalled all the dell
> sofwtware except the driver needed for the hardware and still I get the
> same problem.
>
> I don't think it's the Access Point, as I have another laptop with a
> Linksys PCMCIA card in and that works fine with the SSID broadcast
> disabled.
>
> Has anyone got any advice please?
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 2, 2005 2:57:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

WIndows XP SP-2 does not like it when you do not broadcast your SSID,
however, it will allow you to connect if you decide not to broadcast.
Uncheck the box that states "automatically connect to non-preferred
networks" and make your network preferred.

--
Just Me, D
Related resources
March 2, 2005 11:33:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Yes I have, and it works instantly first time when I do it. However when I
reboot it refuses to re-connect.

"DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:u66Vd.26637$uc.1214@trnddc09...
> Have you set up your SSID, AP, in your prefered networks window to connect
> automatically?
>
>
> Robert....
>
> "K" <@.> wrote in message
> news:Y%5Vd.208704$B8.122965@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> Sorry for x-posting but I wanted to get maximum coverage for this post as
>> it's really annoying me.
>>
>> I have a Dell laptop (Latitude D800) with built-in b/g wireless (Dell
>> TrueMobile 1300) and a Linksys WAP11 Access Point.
>>
>> On my AP I have WEP swtched on, MAC filtering enabled, and I have
>> disabled SSID broadcast. I also use static IPs and have DHCP disabled
>> for maximum security.
>>
>> They have always worked great together.
>>
>> Last weekend I formatted my laptop to clean it up and I wanted to install
>> SP2 (it's Windows XP Pro by the way). Also installed the latest drivers
>> for my hardware from Dell.
>>
>> After the format I am unable to connect to the wireless LAN unless I
>> enable SSID broadcast (which I obviously don't want to do).
>>
>> If I turn on SSID broadcast, my connection works instantly. I can then
>> disable SSID broadcast and it continues to work.
>>
>> However, as soon as I reboot the laptop, my connection is lost and I
>> can't get it back without re-enabling SSID broadcast.
>>
>> I have tried it with Dell's software managing the wireless connection and
>> with SP2 managing the connection. I have even uninstalled all the dell
>> sofwtware except the driver needed for the hardware and still I get the
>> same problem.
>>
>> I don't think it's the Access Point, as I have another laptop with a
>> Linksys PCMCIA card in and that works fine with the SSID broadcast
>> disabled.
>>
>> Has anyone got any advice please?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
March 2, 2005 11:33:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Doug Jamal" <bishiv6AT@yahooDOT.com> wrote in message
news:hj7Vd.123136$qB6.30576@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> WIndows XP SP-2 does not like it when you do not broadcast your SSID,
> however, it will allow you to connect if you decide not to broadcast.
> Uncheck the box that states "automatically connect to non-preferred
> networks" and make your network preferred.

Thanks

I will give this a try tonight.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 2, 2005 2:55:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 08:33:42 +0000, wrote:

> "Doug Jamal" <bishiv6AT@yahooDOT.com> wrote in message
> news:hj7Vd.123136$qB6.30576@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>> WIndows XP SP-2 does not like it when you do not broadcast your SSID,
>> however, it will allow you to connect if you decide not to broadcast.
>> Uncheck the box that states "automatically connect to non-preferred
>> networks" and make your network preferred.
>
> Thanks
>
> I will give this a try tonight.

That's not true at all. I have a laptop (Toshiba) with wireless and have
always setup the wireless to NOT broadcast the SSID from any AP I have
setup. In fact, I have three different WEP configurations on this laptop,
all to different vendors AP's and all with different SSID, and it
connects without me doing a thing when I boot.

I do agree about the Uncheck the "connect to non-preferred networks" part.


--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
March 2, 2005 7:39:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

In alt.sys.pc-clone.dell K <@.> wrote:
> After the format I am unable to connect to the wireless LAN unless I enable
> SSID broadcast (which I obviously don't want to do).

Why not? Sorry, that decision is hardly obvious from my point of view.

The only squashed SSID decision that I've agreed with (sort of) revolved
around politics. An IT department wanted to test different wireless
configurations and access point locations without the self-important
VIP types demanding access.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 2, 2005 7:56:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:39:59 +0000, Brian wrote:
>
> In alt.sys.pc-clone.dell K <@.> wrote:
>> After the format I am unable to connect to the wireless LAN unless I enable
>> SSID broadcast (which I obviously don't want to do).
>
> Why not? Sorry, that decision is hardly obvious from my point of view.
>
> The only squashed SSID decision that I've agreed with (sort of) revolved
> around politics. An IT department wanted to test different wireless
> configurations and access point locations without the self-important
> VIP types demanding access.

While security through obscurity is not a good means, it's always best to
make your network as hard to find as possible. Blocking the SSID from the
generic public keeps the kiddies from seeing it, even if the serious can
still find it. We've never installed a AP without disabling the SSID
broadcasting function.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
March 2, 2005 9:40:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.03.02.12.00.03.886245@nowhere.lan...
> On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 08:33:42 +0000, wrote:
>
>> "Doug Jamal" <bishiv6AT@yahooDOT.com> wrote in message
>> news:hj7Vd.123136$qB6.30576@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>>> WIndows XP SP-2 does not like it when you do not broadcast your SSID,
>>> however, it will allow you to connect if you decide not to broadcast.
>>> Uncheck the box that states "automatically connect to non-preferred
>>> networks" and make your network preferred.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> I will give this a try tonight.
>
> That's not true at all. I have a laptop (Toshiba) with wireless and have
> always setup the wireless to NOT broadcast the SSID from any AP I have
> setup. In fact, I have three different WEP configurations on this laptop,
> all to different vendors AP's and all with different SSID, and it
> connects without me doing a thing when I boot.
>
> I do agree about the Uncheck the "connect to non-preferred networks" part.

"connect to non-preferred networks" is not checked already. I tried
checking it and it made no difference to my problem.
!