Will 3G ever come to Canada ?

Last response: in Network Providers
July 16, 2004 4:38:29 PM

>http://news.com.com/AT%26T+Wireless+to+launch+3G+servic...

AT&T (soon to be Cingular) starts 3G service next week. Verizon/Sprint have
also begun 3G services. In europe, many large networks are beginning to roll
out 3G service.

In the USA, have networks been given additional spectrum for their 3G ? Is it
in the same 1900mhz band or a totally new band ? If a new one, is it the same
as in europe ?

Will 3G ever come to canada ?

With microcell in no finacial shape to roll out 3G, is it possible that it
could be made irrelevant if Rogers Bell and Telus eventually roll out 3G and
Microcell left behind to breathe the dust ?

In the USA, AT&T announced that for residential customers, $25 per month will
give them unlimited data usage in its 3G offering. Considering that Fido
charges $50 for unlimited GPRS (which is at much lower speeds), it seems quite interesting.

While it is a fact that 3G has yet to become the big trend everyone wants to
be part of, and that 3G applications won't exactly be useful after the novelty
factor wears off (in japan, it costs about $50 to watch an hour of TV on your
phone), isn't there a danger that Microcell will be seen as old, legacy stuff,
especially once 2G handsets become dated and new handsets come out in 3G
flavours only ?

More about : canada

Anonymous
July 29, 2004 10:57:16 AM

3G or iFido is here in Richmond, BC.

2.2 MB/sec.

But, I need it every where else other than Richmond BC. since that's were
I've go Shaw high speed at home.

"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message

>http://news.com.com/AT%26T+Wireless+to+launch+3G+servic...
9_3-5271853.html?tag=nefd.hed

> AT&T (soon to be Cingular) starts 3G service next week. Verizon/Sprint
have
> also begun 3G services. In europe, many large networks are beginning to
roll
> out 3G service.
>
> In the USA, have networks been given additional spectrum for their 3G ? Is
it
> in the same 1900mhz band or a totally new band ? If a new one, is it the
same
> as in europe ?
>
> Will 3G ever come to canada ?
>
> With microcell in no finacial shape to roll out 3G, is it possible that it
> could be made irrelevant if Rogers Bell and Telus eventually roll out 3G
and
> Microcell left behind to breathe the dust ?
>
> In the USA, AT&T announced that for residential customers, $25 per month
will
> give them unlimited data usage in its 3G offering. Considering that Fido
> charges $50 for unlimited GPRS (which is at much lower speeds), it seems
quite interesting.

> While it is a fact that 3G has yet to become the big trend everyone wants
> be part of, and that 3G applications won't exactly be useful after the
novelty
> factor wears off (in japan, it costs about $50 to watch an hour of TV on
your
> phone), isn't there a danger that Microcell will be seen as old, legacy
stuff,
> especially once 2G handsets become dated and new handsets come out in 3G
> flavours only ?
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 7:20:01 PM

"John Smith" <ve7lee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 3G or iFido is here in Richmond, BC.
3G is not iFido. 3G is more like speedy GPRS. iFido is WiMax, in other
words, stationary (cannot live without 110V) wireless off-sight (doesn't
need a line of sight) broadband (you don't expect me to explain what I meant
here, do you? :)

> 2.2 MB/sec.
Just in case, that's what I called broadband :)  (Cable modem users, please,
do not try to argue that your provider promised 4MB/sec, because he cannot
keep their promise :)

> "JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message

> > Will 3G ever come to Canada ?
My best guess would be not until prices for good old GPRS (2G or 2.5G or any
other G less than 3) drop and normal people (not businesses) begin to use
wireless data services. For example, in some "developing countries"
unlimited WAP over GPRS is less than $4/month or Internet over GPRS is
0.25/1 MB (no it's not a mistype - it is a quarter per 1 million bytes); for
interested in MMS - .25/outgoing message and 0/incoming. I also guess that
*some* mobile phone providers might go the same route as with CSD. For those
who forgot, they just dropped affordable CSD (it was really affordable
because billed by minutes from your plan's pool - so if you don't talk much
you could surf more) and forced "fast mobile Internet access", which is (1)
not that fast unless you call 56K modem a high speed connection; (2) not
affordable for residential consumers by any diffinition.

Hope that helps! Yeah, I know that the answer for the main question is not
helpful, sorry.

P.S. I do not read my e-mail.
July 31, 2004 11:58:36 AM

On 2004-07-16 12:38:29 -0400, JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> said:

> In the USA, have networks been given additional spectrum for their 3G ? Is it
> in the same 1900mhz band or a totally new band ? If a new one, is it the same
> as in europe ?

AT&T and Cingular (same company now i guess?) recently deployed GSM
850mhz which should make it one of the best providers as far as signal
goes in NA. T-Mobile is still on GSM 1900mhz.

--
-justin
August 3, 2004 11:46:25 AM

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 07:58:36 -0400, Justin McKillican
<justin@mckill.removethis.alsothis.ca> wrote:

>AT&T and Cingular (same company now i guess?) recently deployed GSM
>850mhz which should make it one of the best providers as far as signal
>goes in NA. T-Mobile is still on GSM 1900mhz.

You guessed wrong. They will be one company but it hasn't happened
yet.

And a properly designed 1900 network is just as good as an 850
network.

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 2:57:52 PM

What's better? Fido or Shaw?
I'm currently on Shaw, but if iFido is 2.2MB/sec it might be faster than
shaw

Anonymous
August 4, 2004 12:24:06 PM

On 2004-08-03 10:46:25 -0400, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> said:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 07:58:36 -0400, Justin McKillican
> <justin@mckill.removethis.alsothis.ca> wrote:
>
>> AT&T and Cingular (same company now i guess?) recently deployed GSM
>> 850mhz which should make it one of the best providers as far as signal
>> goes in NA. T-Mobile is still on GSM 1900mhz.
>
> You guessed wrong. They will be one company but it hasn't happened
> yet.

whatever...

> And a properly designed 1900 network is just as good as an 850
> network.

true, but it requires more towers which means more money.

--
-justin
!