My Linksys WAG54G nightmare!

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 4, 2004 2:13:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,uk.comp.home-networking (More info?)

Bought one of these from ebuyer to replace my ageing (and problematic in
some areas) Solwise SAR715PW (802.11b) - bought 2 WUSB54G adapters (USB
802.11g) with it as well.

Main reason was to experience 802.11g speeds and hopefully get out of the
sometimes annoying problems I'd been getting with the 802.11b Solwise
modem/router.

My, what a nightmare!

I really feel I must have got a dud Linksys router.

Couldn't even save pppoa details on the router (kept coming up and asking me
for a username/password after save which would not accept the obvious
answers)

Couldn't even upgrade the firmware (it was quite old so decided to give the
latest version a try) - kept bombing out a third of the way there.

Tried doing all this wired and wirelessly connected - using my older Belkin
802.11b USB adapters and the newer Linksys 802.11g USB adapters.

Anyone else have any bad experiences with this router?

Looks like I'm going to need to return it unless someone can tell me if I'm
doing anything obviously wrong???

Did ring Linksys customer support - not that good - but at least the chap on
the end of the line told me he hadn't come across these problems before and
suggested I return the router!

Don't you just hate it when things don't work fresh out of the box
(grrrrr!)

Is 802.11g more sensitive than 802.11b ? My belkin adapters were generally
pretty reliable in terms of signal strength and quality with my Solwise
router. Now I have the Linksys 802.11g adapters they do seem to drop
connection to my Solwise 802.11b router from time to time? Is it generally
accepted that you should run all 802.11g to 802.11g AP's or routers for the
best compatibility and reliability?

Andy
April 4, 2004 8:26:15 PM

"Andy Pandy" <andrew@NOSPAMPLEASEthefunhouse.plus.com> wrote in message
> Bought one of these from ebuyer to replace my ageing (and problematic in
> some areas) Solwise SAR715PW (802.11b) - bought 2 WUSB54G adapters (USB
> 802.11g) with it as well.
>
> Main reason was to experience 802.11g speeds and hopefully get out of the
> sometimes annoying problems I'd been getting with the 802.11b Solwise
> modem/router.
>
> My, what a nightmare!
>
> I really feel I must have got a dud Linksys router.
>
> Couldn't even save pppoa details on the router (kept coming up and asking
me
> for a username/password after save which would not accept the obvious
> answers)
>
> Couldn't even upgrade the firmware (it was quite old so decided to give
the
> latest version a try) - kept bombing out a third of the way there.
>
> Tried doing all this wired and wirelessly connected - using my older
Belkin
> 802.11b USB adapters and the newer Linksys 802.11g USB adapters.
>
> Anyone else have any bad experiences with this router?
>
> Looks like I'm going to need to return it unless someone can tell me if
I'm
> doing anything obviously wrong???
>
> Did ring Linksys customer support - not that good - but at least the chap
on
> the end of the line told me he hadn't come across these problems before
and
> suggested I return the router!
>
> Don't you just hate it when things don't work fresh out of the box
> (grrrrr!)
>
> Is 802.11g more sensitive than 802.11b ? My belkin adapters were generally
> pretty reliable in terms of signal strength and quality with my Solwise
> router. Now I have the Linksys 802.11g adapters they do seem to drop
> connection to my Solwise 802.11b router from time to time? Is it generally
> accepted that you should run all 802.11g to 802.11g AP's or routers for
the
> best compatibility and reliability?
>
> Andy

Hi Andy

I have a WAG54G and had no problems setting it up and it has worked fine for
the last two months so I can only guess that you have a duff one. I would
RMA it back to eBuyaer asap as if you have had it more than a month you cant
get a full refund - if thats what you want.

Good luck!

Eddie
Anonymous
April 5, 2004 1:03:23 AM

"Eddie" <Elcuolo(removetheobvious)@Btinternet.Com> wrote in message

> "Andy Pandy" <andrew@NOSPAMPLEASEthefunhouse.plus.com> wrote in message
> > Bought one of these from ebuyer to replace my ageing (and problematic in
> > some areas) Solwise SAR715PW (802.11b) - bought 2 WUSB54G adapters (USB
> > 802.11g) with it as well.
> >
> > Main reason was to experience 802.11g speeds and hopefully get out of
the
> > sometimes annoying problems I'd been getting with the 802.11b Solwise
> > modem/router.
> >
> > My, what a nightmare!
> >
> > I really feel I must have got a dud Linksys router.
> >
> > Couldn't even save pppoa details on the router (kept coming up and
asking
> me
> > for a username/password after save which would not accept the obvious
> > answers)
> >
> > Couldn't even upgrade the firmware (it was quite old so decided to give
> the
> > latest version a try) - kept bombing out a third of the way there.
> >
> > Tried doing all this wired and wirelessly connected - using my older
> Belkin
> > 802.11b USB adapters and the newer Linksys 802.11g USB adapters.
> >
> > Anyone else have any bad experiences with this router?
> >
> > Looks like I'm going to need to return it unless someone can tell me if
> I'm
> > doing anything obviously wrong???
> >
> > Did ring Linksys customer support - not that good - but at least the
chap
> on
> > the end of the line told me he hadn't come across these problems before
> and
> > suggested I return the router!
> >
> > Don't you just hate it when things don't work fresh out of the box
> > (grrrrr!)
> >
> > Is 802.11g more sensitive than 802.11b ? My belkin adapters were
generally
> > pretty reliable in terms of signal strength and quality with my Solwise
> > router. Now I have the Linksys 802.11g adapters they do seem to drop
> > connection to my Solwise 802.11b router from time to time? Is it
generally
> > accepted that you should run all 802.11g to 802.11g AP's or routers for
> the
> > best compatibility and reliability?
> >
> > Andy
> >

> Hi Andy
>
> I have a WAG54G and had no problems setting it up and it has worked fine
for
> the last two months so I can only guess that you have a duff one. I would
> RMA it back to eBuyaer asap as if you have had it more than a month you
cant
> get a full refund - if thats what you want.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Eddie

Well, would you adam an eve it!!!

I have two PC's in the house. Decided to try the 2nd PC I have and start by
re-flashing the firmware. I did this via tftp which I managed to find in a
different Linksys model firmware zip file on the web site. This worked (at
least it told me it did anyway!!!). Went back to factory defaults and
re-entered most of the stuff I needed. Re-connected the wag54g back up to my
adsl line and hey presto, things do seem a hell of a lot better!!!

I've no idea if its still dodgy because things seem to be working normally
now for a good 6 hours or more. I can only assume the firmware flash had
corrupted something along the way. I still seem to get problems trying to
save certain sections in the web front end for the router from my main PC (I
have more success with opera rather than IE) but as most of the settings I
need are in there now and things seem to be ok, I'm going to give it a
thorough workout for the next few days to see if I can't break it again!!!

The range on these 54g devices don't impress me that much though - my USB
adapter and the router are probably no more than 12 feet apart and I would
expect an excellent signal at close to 54mb/s - instead I get around 36mb/s
and a "very good" signal most of time according to the little icon in the
taskbar on XP. Maybe I'm expecting too much?

Lets hope it keeps working!

Andy
Anonymous
April 5, 2004 4:09:15 AM

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 21:03:23 +0100, "Andy Pandy"
<andrew@NOSPAMPLEASEthefunhouse.plus.com> wrote:

>The range on these 54g devices don't impress me that much though - my USB
>adapter and the router are probably no more than 12 feet apart and I would
>expect an excellent signal at close to 54mb/s - instead I get around 36mb/s
>and a "very good" signal most of time according to the little icon in the
>taskbar on XP. Maybe I'm expecting too much?

A friend of mine was getting poor range on a USB adaptor and solved
the problem by switching to a PCI card. I don't know if this is a
general problem with USB adaptors or specific to certain brands, but
it may be worth looking into.
!