speaker size help

Ok guys, working on this Outrun sitdown and one of the things I found
is the speakers are totally devoid of their foam surrounds! I thought
the sound was tinny compared to what I remembered back in the day ;)
Trying to figure out the size and I'm not sure if I've got it right.
The mounting holes are 3 1/2" center to center on the short sides and
5" across the diagonal. The cone itself is 4" as measured across the
inside of the ring that holds the foam surround to the basket. So...
what are they? 4"? 5"? I figure someone here must know :)
TIA!
Cliffy
A passion for pinball!
www.passionforpinball.com

I can't answer the size question, but could you just buy some
weatherstripping foam from a hardware store and replace that instead of
the whole speaker?

Another fellow emailed me and had the Sega part number in his Outrun
Dlx manual and (unlike the upright manual) it shows the size! Yay! It's
10cm or 4". In fact heres the actual line from the manual;
Part # 130-5010 Speaker 10 cm, 6 ohm, 3 watt

As for the weatherstripping idea... nyet. Theres just no way to make
the circle and compound curve of a speaker suspension with
weatherstripping. I'm good, but not that good :)

Oh and good talkin' to ya Roy. Haven't done so since the Black Widow
cpo project ;)

Cliffy
A passion for pinball!
www.passionforpinball.com

I have exactly the same question. I'm restroring an Eagle and the speaker is
dead. Same exact dimensions you describe. My friend says to measure
diagonally between the mounting holes, so he believes it's a 5". I think
it's the cone size, 4". I guess I'll have to go down to the rat shack and
see what they have and how they measure it.

-roy-

"Cliffy" <crinear@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok guys, working on this Outrun sitdown and one of the things I found
> is the speakers are totally devoid of their foam surrounds! I thought
> the sound was tinny compared to what I remembered back in the day ;)
> Trying to figure out the size and I'm not sure if I've got it right.
> The mounting holes are 3 1/2" center to center on the short sides and
> 5" across the diagonal. The cone itself is 4" as measured across the
> inside of the ring that holds the foam surround to the basket. So...
> what are they? 4"? 5"? I figure someone here must know :)
> TIA!
> Cliffy
> A passion for pinball!
> www.passionforpinball.com

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Cliffy wrote:
> Ok guys, working on this Outrun sitdown and one of the things I found
> is the speakers are totally devoid of their foam surrounds! I thought
> the sound was tinny compared to what I remembered back in the day ;)
> Trying to figure out the size and I'm not sure if I've got it right.
> The mounting holes are 3 1/2" center to center on the short sides and
> 5" across the diagonal. The cone itself is 4" as measured across the
> inside of the ring that holds the foam surround to the basket. So...
> what are they? 4"? 5"? I figure someone here must know :)
> TIA!
> Cliffy
> A passion for pinball!
> www.passionforpinball.com

You Might try:
http://www.newfoam.com/kits.asp

Problem is that these are low-quality speakers. A complete replacement
speaker should cost under $10.

-roy-