improving throughput

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter (More info?)

I have a 802.11g network set up in my home
Mainly to share recorded tv, videos and music across three Media Center
Edition PCs

My AP is a Dlink DI-624 is in the basement
One MCE is also in the basement and connected to tha AP via 10base T
The second MCE is on the first floor (wireless)
The thrid is on the second floor (wireless)
I have also added two DWL-G800AP's in repeater mode, one on the first and
one on the second floor.

My througut as mesaured by QCheck is still horrible (<1 - 3 MBPS) despite
54Mbps connections at the client (per the client utilities).

Any thoughts?

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter (More info?)

"Robert Desel" <rdesel@comcast.net> wrote in news:c4ov0q02ro4
@news3.newsguy.com:

> My througut as mesaured by QCheck is still horrible (<1 - 3 MBPS) despite
> 54Mbps connections at the client (per the client utilities).

Is that in megabytes or megabits?

3 megabytes per second is pretty respectable for wireless G.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter (More info?)

good question
mbps...i assumed megabytes

I am still learning all this I assumed with 54 mbps hardware i would get
something close to that

Robert Desel wrote:

> I have a 802.11g network set up in my home
> Mainly to share recorded tv, videos and music across three Media Center
> Edition PCs
>
> My AP is a Dlink DI-624 is in the basement
> One MCE is also in the basement and connected to tha AP via 10base T
> The second MCE is on the first floor (wireless)
> The thrid is on the second floor (wireless)
> I have also added two DWL-G800AP's in repeater mode, one on the first and
> one on the second floor.
>
> My througut as mesaured by QCheck is still horrible (<1 - 3 MBPS) despite
> 54Mbps connections at the client (per the client utilities).
>
> Any thoughts?

Nothing horrible about 3 MB/s on a 54 Mb/s infrastructure.
--
Cheers, Bob

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter (More info?)

"news.newsguy.com" <rdesel@comcast.net> wrote in news:c4qc5g0rv9
@news1.newsguy.com:

> good question
> mbps...i assumed megabytes
>
> I am still learning all this I assumed with 54 mbps hardware i would get
> something close to that

If it's in megabytes, 3MB = 24mbits/second is a pretty good speed. Most
wireless networks you'll hit ~65% of the speed at best.

Even with a wired network, you'll never get the full speed due to overhead
and other factors.

--

In alt.internet.wireless Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote:
> "news.newsguy.com" <rdesel@comcast.net> wrote in news:c4qc5g0rv9
> @news1.newsguy.com:
>
>> good question
>> mbps...i assumed megabytes
>>
>> I am still learning all this I assumed with 54 mbps hardware i would get
>> something close to that
>
> If it's in megabytes, 3MB = 24mbits/second is a pretty good speed. Most
> wireless networks you'll hit ~65% of the speed at best.

I was surprised that I am getting 90%+ at 5.5MBps on 802.11B cards,
with a WRT54G router.

I have to upgrade the 10base2 link between the router and my server to see
if the same happens at 11MBps.