Can't see applications when they are not maximized.

I have a VERY weird problem. When I open applications from the start menu,
they disappear. They are in the systray , but the window is not visible on
the desktop. When I open applications, the path thing goes to the left of the
screen, so it seems like the applications are opening off screen. The only
way I can see applications is when I have them maximized. Well, not all
applications can be maximized, so I am not sure what to do. Any help will be
GREATLY appreciated.

meig wrote:
> I have a VERY weird problem. When I open applications from the start
> menu, they disappear. They are in the systray , but the window is not
> visible on the desktop. When I open applications, the path thing goes
> to the left of the screen, so it seems like the applications are
> opening off screen. The only way I can see applications is when I
> have them maximized. Well, not all applications can be maximized, so
> I am not sure what to do. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

This is a first suggestion. Select Start menu, and just one of these 'problem' programs. Put mouse over selection, do a right-click, then select properties. On the Properties window, select the Shortcut Tab. Review the entry in "Target", and more important, look closely at "Run" line. Does it show *Normal Window* ??

Is this happening to a few apps, or all of them?
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

P.S. This is not a solution to your situation, but..... Make a note that you can use keyboard shortcuts to cycle thru your open apps.
Press & Hold the ALT-key , then tap the TAB-key. This begins a display-box of program-windows. Keep tapping TAB key until you get to the one desired, then let go of keys.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User