Shudown when unexpected

I am running XP Pro. On occasion XP shuts down and restarts when I exit
Internet Explorer. It also happens when I exit Limewire, which is a peer to
peer aplication. How can I prevent this from happening?
Thanks
--
gary

Maurice,
I posted my problem just below this message --

Thanks so much for the knowledge base on stop errors - that should
help. Of couse, my PC is dead now, so until I can figure out how to get
the power back on I can't do much about the stop error............

Turn off "reboot on error" setting for Windows.

Go to My Computer, then select Properties. Select the "Advanced" TAB and in the Startup and Recovery section click the "Settings" button.
At System Failure block, "Un-check" the "Automatically restart" line. Apply change, make clean exit.

This will prevent a "reboot on error", and will also show (when you have Windows exception) the error code and its description.

IF a STOP error occurs, write down its number and complete description and follow up on fixes.

If Normal mode of Windows is still "re-booting" itself, reboot pc & tap the F8 Function key to select SAFE Mode, then do steps above.

See Aumha.org's knowledge base on stop errors and keep it handy
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

theranch wrote:
> I am running XP Pro. On occasion XP shuts down and restarts when I
> exit Internet Explorer. It also happens when I exit Limewire, which
> is a peer to peer aplication. How can I prevent this from happening?
> Thanks

See my answer to your post. It should be viewable very shortly.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Dianne Aldridge wrote:
> Maurice,
> I posted my problem just below this message --
>
> Thanks so much for the knowledge base on stop errors - that should
> help. Of couse, my PC is dead now, so until I can figure out how to
> get the power back on I can't do much about the stop error............

Hi Gary

If you don't see any error messages, right click on My Computer, select
Properties and then the Advanced tab. Click on Settings under Startup and
Recovery and disable 'Automatically restart'. Next time your PC reboots,
you should see a Blue Screen. Could you please post the Stop Code from the
BSOD?

Also, please have a look in the Event Viewer to see if any entries there may
refer to the problem

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"theranch" <theranch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running XP Pro. On occasion XP shuts down and restarts when I exit
> Internet Explorer. It also happens when I exit Limewire, which is a peer
> peer aplication. How can I prevent this from happening?
> Thanks
> --
> gary

I have fixed the problem. The stop code was 0x8E and under the code was
listed file "ati3duag.dll". This caused me to think it was my ATI video
adapter. I checked the driver and it was over 2 years old. I updated the
driver and restarted XP. That seem to fix the shutdown problem.
Thanks a bunch!
--
gary

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi Gary
>
> If you don't see any error messages, right click on My Computer, select
> Properties and then the Advanced tab. Click on Settings under Startup and
> Recovery and disable 'Automatically restart'. Next time your PC reboots,
> you should see a Blue Screen. Could you please post the Stop Code from the
> BSOD?
>
> Also, please have a look in the Event Viewer to see if any entries there may
> refer to the problem
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "theranch" <theranch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am running XP Pro. On occasion XP shuts down and restarts when I exit
> > Internet Explorer. It also happens when I exit Limewire, which is a peer
> > peer aplication. How can I prevent this from happening?
> > Thanks
> > --
> > gary

Glad your problem is fixed.