Ground Kontrol - Best and Worst Games?

Hey Clay, how about an update? Back on 6/20/03 you posted a summary of
high and low earners, semi-ranking them. I'm wondering what is doing
the best currently, are the same games being played now or has
something changed?

Here is what you wrote back then:
The top earner is: Raiden II (in an ugly-ass converted Frogger cabinet
with the wrong artwork (rally bike) and only one joystick! That was
the result of me wondering "I wonder how much it matters what things
look like"... Answer: not that much.)

2nd runner up is: Street Fighter II

Other high earners (roughly in order):
Ms. Pacman
Galaga
Elevator Action (that surprised me)

Low earners (bottom up):
Frogger
Missile Command
Space Invaders

SF2 does almost twice as much business as the *highest* earning
"classic" we have... Some of the *real* classic games (Space Invaders,
Missile Command, Frogger) are the flat-out *worst* earning in the
place, but we keep them around. I mean c'mon, you can't really call
yourself a retrocade without Space Invaders and Missile Command! ;-)

There's a funny way you can tell what games are popular at a glance--
we have barstools that people can move around to sit and play. Games
that gave the barstools in front of them are popular. Kinda funny.

So, all in all, the classics have "cool" and people dabble in them, but
people really pump the quarters in and play the new stuff a lot more.

-Clay

are you planning on adding more cocktails in that upper storage room or
is that reserved for other use?

"Vizilla" <izwalker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> are you planning on adding more cocktails in that upper storage room or
> is that reserved for other use?

Yep, that'll be where most of the 'more' games will go. We used it for
storage up until now-- needed to get some more security cameras and stuff
put in since it's not in the normal line-of-sight from the counter area.

Not real sure where the cocktail machines will go. Probably a few
downstairs and a few upstairs. They're good to have as "tables" since we'll
be serving more drinks... We've got the Scramble cocktail upstairs, and
then I think there's an Asteroids, a Ms. Pac, a Mr. Do, and maybe a Frogger
and a Donkey Kong... Maybe an Astro Fighter too. We'll see what there's
room for.

We also have a bunch of floor-standing drink holders that'll be going out on
the main floor of the arcade, kinda placed between games and able to hold
three drinks each. ;-)

-Clay

I'm really surprised that Missile Command is such a low earner.
Admittedly, I'm biased - it's one of my favorites - but still. I would
think games like Popeye or Starship 1 would be the bottom feeders.

starship 1 is actually kind of fun really. I just wish it wasn't on a
timer. It would be neat if it had shields or lives. The whole "im
awesome so i only need 1 quarter" wasn't popular yet ;) I should be
thankful there is such a nice arcade nearby.

-isaac

On 19 May 2005 15:02:50 -0700, "Darshan" <Ruiner71@aol.com> wrote:

>I'm really surprised that Missile Command is such a low earner.
>Admittedly, I'm biased - it's one of my favorites - but still. I would
>think games like Popeye or Starship 1 would be the bottom feeders.

I hate Popeye too! I'd be playing the hell outta that Gyruss though!
I'd also jump at the chance to play a really moldy oldie like Starship
1 or Stunt Cycle.

Unfortunately, I'm 3000 miles away and I can't jump that far!

Tim

are you serving beer? Portlands a beer town isn't it? I will be up there in
2 weeks and plan to stop by.

"Bentley Bear" <pmettes@comcast.net> wrote in message
> are you serving beer? Portlands a beer town isn't it? I will be up there
in
> 2 weeks and plan to stop by.

Yep! In two weeks we should definitely be serving. Maybe as early as this
weekend. Just depends on when we get the magic scrap-o-paper from the
state. I think we're probably looking at half a dozen local brews and
probably a couple nationals, then a modest wine selection. (No well
drinks-- in Oregon you have to serve food if you serve hard alcohol and we
didn't want to deal with that.)

-Clay

"brettsarcade" <brettpulliam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Where do the pins fit into this? Does the top pin make more or less
> than the top classic and new video game?

Pins do well. The Addams Family is probably our #1-4 game overall
(including all vids and pins) depending on the week. The average pin
probably does better than 70% of the rest of the video games, but the
average pin's maintenance costs are probably higher too. (We have a lot of
video games that have never had a repair in the last two years, but I think
every pin we have has had work done-- lights, rings, coils, fuses, etc. all
seem to go with some regularity.)

-Clay

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You should do what the Seattle bars now do, you have to have 6 hot food
items to serve booze. They have a microwave and six different hungry man
dinners priced at $15 each. Ha. -dan