asking only administrator can istall software

May 15, 2005 1:56:17 AM

hi,
i'm having winxp spII pro.
i have tried install LG USB Modem on machine but it shows that only
administrator can install it...
before updating to winxp spII clean istallation, i have successfully
installed it on my pc..

i have only single account on my machine, and that is of adminstrator
type..,
why the said message come,, i couldn't understand it....

what could be problem..
how to change my account to other type... of see all available account
types...

thankX in Advance
krunal
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 1:56:18 AM

The software installation routine may be coded to only allow an account name
"administrator" to do the installation, although this would be "bad" coding
on the developer's part.

Try this, boot and log into your account, log off, you should be at the
"start up" screen showing only your login. Press the <alt><ctl> keys down,
then hit the <del> key twice, you should get the "classic" login prompt.
Here the user should have your login, change it to "administrator" and for
the password, whatever you gave it when you installed XP Pro (Pro always
asks this during installation). If you don't know trying leaving it blank,
otherwise you have another issue, and must figure out what that password it.

If the above approach fails, it is possible the hardware it no compatible
with XP SP2, requiring a driver/software update/patch from the manufacturer,
or if XP is not supported, new hardware/software may be in order.

The administrator account is hidden on the start panel when another account
exists, although I've seen reg changes on some of the MVP's websites that
allow you to change that behavior, and then it will display.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

"~Krunal" <krunal83@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:o O0kwGKWFHA.3280@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> hi,
> i'm having winxp spII pro.
> i have tried install LG USB Modem on machine but it shows that only
> administrator can install it...
> before updating to winxp spII clean istallation, i have successfully
> installed it on my pc..
>
> i have only single account on my machine, and that is of adminstrator
> type..,
> why the said message come,, i couldn't understand it....
>
> what could be problem..
> how to change my account to other type... of see all available account
> types...
>
> thankX in Advance
> krunal

Anonymous
May 15, 2005 5:47:29 PM

Thank you for reply..
i've tried it... but with same result..
can you guide me as how to see all available account....
my account name is "krunal" not administrator as you said...set as
administrator type
does it like this.. that there is also another account exists named
administrator..
or if it, how can i see it or login on to it...
can i change the name of my account from "krunal" to "administrator" ?
how can i do it...
pls suggest...
thank you
krunal