Leonard

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2002

I got a Brand new Dell 2400 with:
Celeron 2.6GHz
FREE 15" E153FP LCD Panel
512MB, 40GB Drive
48x CD-RW, 10/100 Ethernet

problem: its slow to load the only application ( I have the same app. on
other machines) that I have loaded.(OFX a tax program).On other machines
running xp at 1.6GHZ and 3.0GHZ the load times are 14 sec and 5 seconds but
this machine it's 28 seconds. Any idea's dell's no help

Len

curious to know what antivirus program you are running on this and the other
machines... have your tried to disable the antivirus program and time how
long the app takes to load?

"leonard" <taxconsultant@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I got a Brand new Dell 2400 with:
> Celeron 2.6GHz
> FREE 15" E153FP LCD Panel
> 512MB, 40GB Drive
> 48x CD-RW, 10/100 Ethernet
>
> problem: its slow to load the only application ( I have the same app. on
> other machines) that I have loaded.(OFX a tax program).On other machines
> running xp at 1.6GHZ and 3.0GHZ the load times are 14 sec and 5 seconds
> but this machine it's 28 seconds. Any idea's dell's no help
>

> Len

> problem: its slow to load the only application ( I have the same app. on
> other machines) that I have loaded.(OFX a tax program).On other machines
> running xp at 1.6GHZ and 3.0GHZ the load times are 14 sec and 5 seconds but
> this machine it's 28 seconds. Any idea's dell's no help

Have the other machines got SP2 ? - my wifes' 2400 slowed down
dramatically when SP2 went on there :-/

"leonard" <taxconsultant@adelphia.net> wrote:
>Celeron 2.6GHz
>512MB, 40GB Drive

>problem: its slow to load

Some random thoughts:

What antivirus software are you running?

Are the other machines Celerons or Real Pentiums?

Are all the machines running the same OS at the same Service Pack?

What's the DMA mode of your hard drive and it's interface?

Try defragging the disk...

Try running hdtune from http://www.hdtune.com to see if it's disk
drive speed related.

leonard wrote:

>I got a Brand new Dell 2400 with:
>Celeron 2.6GHz
>FREE 15" E153FP LCD Panel
>512MB, 40GB Drive
>48x CD-RW, 10/100 Ethernet
>
>problem: its slow to load the only application ( I have the same app. on
>other machines) that I have loaded.(OFX a tax program).On other machines
>running xp at 1.6GHZ and 3.0GHZ the load times are 14 sec and 5 seconds but
>this machine it's 28 seconds. Any idea's dell's no help
>

>Len

Have you checked to primary IDE channel to see what mode it is operating in?
Right click on MyComputer, choose Properties, select the Hardware tab,
click the Device Manager button.
Select the 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' and open it (the plus sign).
Now select the 'Primary IDE Channel'
Right click and choose Properties.
Select the 'Advanced Settings' tab.
The transfer mode should be 'DMA if available'.
Current Transfer Mode should be one of the DMA modes, preferably 'Ultra
DMA Mode 5'.
If it is in PIO mode, it will be extremely slow.

Leonard

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2002

Hi Chris,
on the other machines I have norton or mcAfee but this machine has none.I
wiped all non essential apps off.after i got it .No anti virus is need on
this machine.

Len

dogface

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005

After installing a few recent XP Windows Updates to an XP SP1a machine (NOT
SP2) I saw opening a Microsoft Access database on a network drive go from
3-5 seconds to several MINUTES. Backed out the updates, back to normal.
Reload XP SP1a if you have it or can get it anfd then install a few at a
time and see the impact. Or backout any recent XP updates. I suspect XP if
the disk I/O is setup correctly (have to assume Dell can do that right).

As an FYI, you'll want to load your monitor drivers for your LCD. I noticed
Dell didn't do that on a recent 3000 I came across.

"leonard" <taxconsultant@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> I got a Brand new Dell 2400 with:
> Celeron 2.6GHz
> FREE 15" E153FP LCD Panel
> 512MB, 40GB Drive
> 48x CD-RW, 10/100 Ethernet
>
> problem: its slow to load the only application ( I have the same app. on
> other machines) that I have loaded.(OFX a tax program).On other machines
> running xp at 1.6GHZ and 3.0GHZ the load times are 14 sec and 5 seconds
but
> this machine it's 28 seconds. Any idea's dell's no help
>

> Len

> As an FYI, you'll want to load your monitor drivers for your LCD. I
> noticed
> Dell didn't do that on a recent 3000 I came across.

Doesn't Windows automatically do that when the monitor is plugged in?
Or is it different with LCD monitors?

dogface

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005

"History Fan" <IreallyHATEspam@iREALLYhateSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > As an FYI, you'll want to load your monitor drivers for your LCD. I
> > noticed
> > Dell didn't do that on a recent 3000 I came across.
> >

> Doesn't Windows automatically do that when the monitor is plugged
in?
> Or is it different with LCD monitors?

Generic monitor drivers are loaded, not the drivers that come on the Monitor
CD provided with the LCD.

There aren't monitor drivers, only .inf files
which specify the supported resolutions and scan
rates for the monitor. Drivers are for the video card.

"Dogface" <DogFace@doghouse.com> wrote in message

> "History Fan" <IreallyHATEspam@iREALLYhateSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> > As an FYI, you'll want to load your monitor drivers for your LCD.
>> > noticed
>> > Dell didn't do that on a recent 3000 I came across.
>> >

>> Doesn't Windows automatically do that when the monitor is
>> plugged
> in?
>> Or is it different with LCD monitors?
>>

> Generic monitor drivers are loaded, not the drivers that come on the
> Monitor
> CD provided with the LCD.

dogface

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005

From the Dell support site:
"Dell E173FP, Driver, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Multi Language, Multi
System, A00"

I refer to them as everybody else does, including Dell.

"Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> There aren't monitor drivers, only .inf files
> which specify the supported resolutions and scan
> rates for the monitor. Drivers are for the video card.
>
> "Dogface" <DogFace@doghouse.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "History Fan" <IreallyHATEspam@iREALLYhateSPAM.com> wrote in message
> >> >

> >> Doesn't Windows automatically do that when the monitor is
> >> plugged
> > in?
> >> Or is it different with LCD monitors?
> >>

> > Generic monitor drivers are loaded, not the drivers that come on the
> > Monitor
> > CD provided with the LCD.

>> Doesn't Windows automatically do that when the monitor is plugged
> in?
>> Or is it different with LCD monitors?
>>

> Generic monitor drivers are loaded, not the drivers that come on the
> Monitor
> CD provided with the LCD.

Is there any difference in the monitor's image quality when one uses
generic, Window- loaded drivers vs. the drivers that come with the CD-ROM?

History Fan wrote:

> >> Doesn't Windows automatically do that when the monitor is plugged
> > in?
> >> Or is it different with LCD monitors?
> >>

> > Generic monitor drivers are loaded, not the drivers that come on the
> > Monitor
> > CD provided with the LCD.
> >

> Is there any difference in the monitor's image quality when one uses
> generic, Window- loaded drivers vs. the drivers that come with the CD-ROM?

Usually, the monitor-specific drivers will offer a greater number
of resolution choices, among other things.

Notan

dogface

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005

IMO, Generic = Lowest Common Denominator, Custom = Optimal

>> > in?
>> >>

>> > Generic monitor drivers are loaded, not the drivers that come on the
>> > Monitor
>> > CD provided with the LCD.
>> >

>> Is there any difference in the monitor's image quality when one
>> uses
>> generic, Window- loaded drivers vs. the drivers that come with the
>> CD-ROM?
>
> Usually, the monitor-specific drivers will offer a greater number
> of resolution choices, among other things.
>
> Notan

On an LCD panel? There's only ONE that works well.

Tom Scales wrote:

> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message

> >> Is there any difference in the monitor's image quality when one
> >> uses
> >> generic, Window- loaded drivers vs. the drivers that come with the
> >> CD-ROM?
> >
> > Usually, the monitor-specific drivers will offer a greater number
> > of resolution choices, among other things.
> >
> > Notan
>
> On an LCD panel? There's only ONE that works well.

I didn't say they were as good as the native resolution, just that
they're available. <g>

"Among other things" usually includes some type of System Tray
control for such things as resolution changes, virtual desktops,
etc.

Notan

> Tom Scales wrote:
>>
>> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message

>> > Usually, the monitor-specific drivers will offer a greater number
>> > of resolution choices, among other things.
>> >
>> > Notan
>>
>> On an LCD panel? There's only ONE that works well.
>
> I didn't say they were as good as the native resolution, just that
> they're available. <g>
>
> "Among other things" usually includes some type of System Tray
> control for such things as resolution changes, virtual desktops,
> etc.
>
> Notan

You're talking about video card drivers. NONE of those things come from a
monitor inf file

Tom Scales wrote:

> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> > Tom Scales wrote:
> >>
> >> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message

> >> On an LCD panel? There's only ONE that works well.
> >
> > I didn't say they were as good as the native resolution, just that
> > they're available. <g>
> >
> > "Among other things" usually includes some type of System Tray
> > control for such things as resolution changes, virtual desktops,
> > etc.
> >
> > Notan
>
> You're talking about video card drivers. NONE of those things come from a
> monitor inf file

<The sound of me, smacking myself.>

Notan