Need advice on new graphics card!!!

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hi people, i wanna get a new graphics card, coz my Ti4800SE is stuggling with the new super graphix games. im torn between ATI (X800 Pro or XT) and Nvidia (6800GT or Ultra).
Most reviews ive seen put these two boards about equal, with perhaps the X800 creeping ahead on higher settings. Ive also heard alot about ATI's playing up a lot, is this true?
With all those boards, wots the OC'ing potential, coz if i get the lower spec boards, i might clock them up equal to the higher boards.
Also, how do the boards differ with each brand, are they exaclty the same or not?? if not which is best??
thanks

cleeve

Illustrious
It's a pretty even playing field right now, I don't think you can go wrong with either company's offerings. Also depends on the games you want to play, you should do some research into how the games you like work with the different cards.

Regardless, you're best off getting the next-to-fastest card and overclocking it for maximum value, instead of the fastest card.

For my money I'd wait for the 6600's and X700's to arrive before laying out any cash. They look to be pretty impressive for the dollar.

Ditto! (hmm, familiar territory that)

The GF6600GT and potentially the X700XT offer such attractively priced features, that I'd wait and consider those when they go list, and both should theoretically OC well.

Once those come out then the rest of the cards' positioning should fall into place.

Sure the GF6800GT will still remain attractive too, but with all the cards still selling for kinda higher than 'deal' prices, it's iffy.

If it's MUST have now, then it really depends on the games it's being bought for and all the other apps.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
thanks guys. I play games like doom3, farcry, and HL2(when its out!!!) just so ya know :)
Also, if i go with nvidia, which make is the best, or is there no difference?
thanks