Windows can't find Windows - help

May 14, 2005 1:47:36 PM

I'm trying to use a Windows XP Pro Upgrade CD to install on a PC that
now has Win98. After a lot of hassle using 6 boot floppies to get the
CD to boot properly, I now get stuck on a screen that says a previous
verison of Windows cannot be detected, please insert the windows CD. I
don't have the original 98 CD anymore, but it is still on the PC. Is
there a way to get it to find Win98 at this point? Anything I can try
since Windows can't find Windows on it's own?

More about : windows find windows

Anonymous
May 14, 2005 4:52:50 PM

Boot up into Windows 98. Insert the Windows XP Professional Upgrade CD. Go
from there. You can opt to save your old operating system if you like, in
case you want to go back to it.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

<gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
> I'm trying to use a Windows XP Pro Upgrade CD to install on a PC that
> now has Win98. After a lot of hassle using 6 boot floppies to get the
> CD to boot properly, I now get stuck on a screen that says a previous
> verison of Windows cannot be detected, please insert the windows CD. I
> don't have the original 98 CD anymore, but it is still on the PC. Is
> there a way to get it to find Win98 at this point? Anything I can try
> since Windows can't find Windows on it's own?

Anonymous
May 14, 2005 6:09:21 PM

Sounds like the XP installation CD doesn't have the drivers to load for your
disk controller, you may have the same issue during setup following
Richard's advice if XP doesn't find any. Remember, XP will not use any of
the Win9x drivers after it loads itself.
You'd better run the XP compatibility wizard, I believe it is still on the
XP CD's.
Also, one last question, since you've misplaced your Win98 CD, and obviously
you have a Retail Upgrade XP CD, what are your going to do the next time you
need to do a clean install, in an effort to recover from a virus, Trojan,
SpyWare or other Malware, not to mentioned maybe a hardware failure,
harddrive would be a good example? Without proof of prior qualifying media,
no go.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

<gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
> I'm trying to use a Windows XP Pro Upgrade CD to install on a PC that
> now has Win98. After a lot of hassle using 6 boot floppies to get the
> CD to boot properly, I now get stuck on a screen that says a previous
> verison of Windows cannot be detected, please insert the windows CD. I
> don't have the original 98 CD anymore, but it is still on the PC. Is
> there a way to get it to find Win98 at this point? Anything I can try
> since Windows can't find Windows on it's own?

Anonymous
May 14, 2005 9:37:53 PM

Use of the installation "floppies" indicates a "clean" (or initial)
installation not an upgrade. Any Win 98 or ME CD will suffice.
However do as Richard Urban suggests to do a proper upgrade. Oh - one other
thing - doing a "clean " install will probably require an installation of
all your programs and you may or may not lose access to data.

AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
Myers, FL