Different Ststem Restore problem. Need to force/trick SR. ..

After a virus ate my userinit and forced me to repair Windows via the
Recovery Console (see MS KB article 307545 for details), I have my PC
working again, but with many flaws/issues.

I desperately need to "System Restore" the computer back to a point I
created just before the crash, but when I try, SR reports "System Restore
can not restore drives D:, F:, C:, E:" because they had been "turned off or
removed" since the time the restore point was created.

All drives, drive letters and hardware are the same as before. Is there any
way to force and/or trick System Restore into using the old Restore Point
so I can get my PC back to normal?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks.

--
-*- Bubba -*-

Hi Bubba,

Once System Restore is turned off, all restore points are purged. You
can not get them back.

Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.
Please post the event information from Event Viewer as suggested in
the page below along with any other error message generated by System
Restore. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
System Restore Failures to restore:
http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/srfail.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

"Bubba Gump" wrote:

> After a virus ate my userinit and forced me to repair Windows via the
> Recovery Console (see MS KB article 307545 for details), I have my PC
> working again, but with many flaws/issues.
>
> I desperately need to "System Restore" the computer back to a point I
> created just before the crash, but when I try, SR reports "System Restore
> can not restore drives D:, F:, C:, E:" because they had been "turned off or
> removed" since the time the restore point was created.
>
> All drives, drive letters and hardware are the same as before. Is there any
> way to force and/or trick System Restore into using the old Restore Point
> so I can get my PC back to normal?
>
> Any help is much appreciated! Thanks.
>
> --
> -*- Bubba -*-

I too was just on (Autoforum.com) and was hit 4 time with Trojan Butterfly
and my virus protection program (Symantec) let it get though. It even gave a
warning and said it was deleting it. The virus went to system restore. I
deleted the file, but can not relocate the system restore file from the XP
disk. I also can't restore the complete system. I get an error message the
Windows verison not compatable with XP service pack 2. Any suggestion??

"corporaltunnel" wrote:

> I too got hit with a Trojan Butterfly virus will on the Autoforum.com web site. My virus protection solfware (Symantec) gave me a warning that it was going to delete it but it didn't, and went into my system retore file. I deleted the file and tried to replace it using the XP disk. The XP disk would not reinstall, with an error message, "Operating System not compatable with Window XP Service Pack 2"
I also need to get System Restore up and running. Any suggestions????

> "Bubba Gump" wrote:
>
> > After a virus ate my userinit and forced me to repair Windows via the
> > Recovery Console (see MS KB article 307545 for details), I have my PC
> > working again, but with many flaws/issues.
> >
> > I desperately need to "System Restore" the computer back to a point I
> > created just before the crash, but when I try, SR reports "System Restore
> > can not restore drives D:, F:, C:, E:" because they had been "turned off or
> > removed" since the time the restore point was created.
> >
> > All drives, drive letters and hardware are the same as before. Is there any
> > way to force and/or trick System Restore into using the old Restore Point
> > so I can get my PC back to normal?
> >
> > Any help is much appreciated! Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > -*- Bubba -*-

Hi,

What file did you delete, and where from?

--

Corporaltunnel wrote:
> "corporaltunnel" wrote:
>
>> I too got hit with a Trojan Butterfly virus will on the
>> Autoforum.com web site. My virus protection solfware
>> (Symantec) gave me a warning that it was going to delete
>> it but it didn't, and went into my system retore file. I
>> deleted the file and tried to replace it using the XP
>> disk. The XP disk would not reinstall, with an error
>> message, "Operating System not compatable with Window XP
>> Service Pack 2"
> I also need to get System Restore up and running. Any
> suggestions????
>

>> "Bubba Gump" wrote:
>>
>>> After a virus ate my userinit and forced me to repair
>>> Windows via the Recovery Console (see MS KB article
>>> 307545 for details), I have my PC working again, but
>>> with many flaws/issues.
>>>
>>> I desperately need to "System Restore" the computer
>>> back to a point I created just before the crash, but
>>> when I try, SR reports "System Restore can not restore
>>> drives D:, F:, C:, E:" because they had been "turned
>>> off or removed" since the time the restore point was
>>> created.
>>>
>>> All drives, drive letters and hardware are the same as
>>> before. Is there any way to force and/or trick System
>>> Restore into using the old Restore Point so I can get
>>> my PC back to normal?
>>>
>>> Any help is much appreciated! Thanks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> -*- Bubba -*-

Check at Kelly's http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm Select S
and scroll to System Restore.

"Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in

> Check at Kelly's http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
> Select S and scroll to System Restore.

Thanks, but there is nothing on that page that helps.
"Ststem Restore" is working properly. That is not the issue.

Somehow, I need to "trick" SR into using a restore point that it is
currently refusing to use. Perhaps a way to change the date on the file, or
otherwise not care when it was created.

Thanks.

--
-*- Bubba -*-

"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in news:OcViIUMWFHA.2796
@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

> Hi Bubba,
>
> Once System Restore is turned off, all restore points are purged.

SR was never turned off and the restore point is still there.
--
-*- Bubba -*-

Hi Bubba,

Thank you for posting here.

From your post, my understanding of this issue is: your ¡°System Restore¡±
did not work, but the SR Point exists. If this is not correct, please feel
free to let me know.

Base on your description, I suggest you to do a check first:

1. Click ¡°Start -> Help and Support¡±.

2. Under the label ¡°Pick a task¡±, choose the ¡°Undo changes to your
computer with System Restore¡±

3. On the pop-up windows, please press ¡°next¡± button at right-bottom.

4. You will see a calendar, press the date when you created the SR Point.

5. If you can not press down, that indicates your SR Points do not exists
or is corrupt.

6. Access the ¡°System Volume Information¡± folder.

For detail information please refer to following article:

309531 How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=309531

7. Under the folder "System Volume Information\_restore{GUID}", there are
subfolders called RPx where x is a number. Find your SR Point by the modify
date.

If the SR Point really exists, you may start your SR in a command line.
Steps are below:

1. Boot your PC into Safe Mode.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account
that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
"%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe" (without the quotation marks)

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your
computer to an earlier state.

For more detail information at this point, please refer to following
article:

304449 How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows
XP

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=304449

Thank you for using MS NewsGroup.

Best regards,